Official Jayhawks Top the Mountaineers Thread

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Official Jayhawks Top the Mountaineers Thread

Post by ousdahl »

I’m not surprised refs blow that whistle in for that play at that point in a road game
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:48 am such a bad call, fooled by the flailing of the former Arizona methhead.
It probably didn't help that Elmarko kind of swipped it with both hands.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:21 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:48 am such a bad call, fooled by the flailing of the former Arizona methhead.
No, I guess not.
But regardless it was a steal.
And I also disagree that he shouldn't have been going for it -- of course he should have been -- we had 20 seconds left and you were going to have to foul them as soon as they crossed half court anyways. You take that chance for the strip.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:42 pm
No, I guess not.
And I also disagree that he shouldn't have been going for it -- of course he should have been -- we had 20 seconds left and you were going to have to foul them as soon as they crossed half court anyways. You take that chance for the strip.
If it was a videogame, you really would have held turbo and pressed steal there with 1.5 seconds left before it’s a free turnover?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:17 pm

No, I guess not.
If it was a videogame, you really would have held turbo and pressed steal there with 1.5 seconds left before it’s a free turnover?
He was in for that exact reason. To steal the ball. You don't stop after 7 or 8 seconds hoping for a 10 second call (which by looking at it appeared they were going to get across in time anyway).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We also don’t know if 10 seconds would have been called. Bowl cut mighta snuck across just in time or the refs coulda just not called it.

I’m definitely spamming turbo steal.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:19 pm

No, I guess not.
He was in for that exact reason. To steal the ball. You don't stop after 7 or 8 seconds hoping for a 10 second call (which by looking at it appeared they were going to get across in time anyway).
I’m not saying he’s to blame for going for the steal generally. But going for the steal from behind, when you’re that close to accomplishing the goal anyway…just wasn’t ideal to reach from behind there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The fact that we've spent t pages and pages fussing over a low percentage play is weird. KU gave up 91 points to a trash team and got.pu ked on the boards and we're sitting here whining over some dumb call that almost always gets made.

Hopefully KU doesn't find themselves dropped into a lower seed that ends up sticking them in a bad matchup. The "nice" thing is that WVU's metrics will be better than they should be due to being in the Big 12.

When KU feels like playing aggressive defense and hitting the boards like they did for long stretches of the UConn, UK and Tennessee games. They can beat anyone in the nation. It's frustrating that both of these Big 12 losses just looked like they didn't feel like it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:34 pm

I’m not saying he’s to blame for going for the steal generally. But going for the steal from behind, when you’re that close to accomplishing the goal anyway…just wasn’t ideal to reach from behind there.
He gambled on a low percentage play due to the game situation and it didn't work. I have no problem with the play, they lost by playing shitty defense, not because of a guy trying to do what he felt he needs to do to win the game.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm The fact that we've spent t pages and pages fussing over a low percentage play is weird.
You're right. Let's head back over to the war thread (or any thread over "there") and discuss foreign policy with Ousdahl. That'd be a better use of our time.

I'll see ya over there in sec.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randy was right in terms of how this relates to the Toney play but not the way I think he meant it bc he thought this was a foul.

It relates to the Toney play bc it was a screw up by the officials in a key moment which changed the game. It is important to understand that this doesn’t excuse the shitty rebounding and failed close outs. It can be both. It can be both. I need to reiterate that once more just to be sure some posters understand that it can be both.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:55 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:34 pm

He gambled on a low percentage play due to the game situation and it didn't work. I have no problem with the play, they lost by playing shitty defense, not because of a guy trying to do what he felt he needs to do to win the game.
Totally.
The officials blew a whistle too quick and we lost.
I don’t blame Elmarko.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:43 pm I don’t blame Elmarko.
Me either.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm The fact that we've spent t pages and pages fussing over a low percentage play is weird. KU gave up 91 points to a trash team and got.pu ked on the boards and we're sitting here whining over some dumb call that almost always gets made.

Hopefully KU doesn't find themselves dropped into a lower seed that ends up sticking them in a bad matchup. The "nice" thing is that WVU's metrics will be better than they should be due to being in the Big 12.

When KU feels like playing aggressive defense and hitting the boards like they did for long stretches of the UConn, UK and Tennessee games. They can beat anyone in the nation. It's frustrating that both of these Big 12 losses just looked like they didn't feel like it.
This team is sOfT
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I won't call DH Kj or KM soft.

The others, sure.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I just don't see how a player can cleanly strip the ball from both sides simultaneously using both hands. Weirdest steal attempt

If an official sees that at live speed, someone swiping downwards with both hands at a players arm, probably gonna call a foul
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:20 pm I won't call DH Kj or KM soft.

The others, sure.
I won't call kj or km soft

But dajuan?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:24 pm

The others, sure.
I won't call kj or km soft

But dajuan?
What's your definition of soft?

Dude has played and won a ton of big games in his career. That doesn't mean he's always perfect in clutch situations, but to me he has shown countless times that he will not be overwhelmed by the moment and often times he's made big plays in big moments. He's not soft in my eyes.

Hunter isn't battle tested so I think he's still soft. At least a little bit.

The others? Soft. Furphy was awful when it mattered most yesterday. Simple rebounding principles and he's wide eyed ball watching.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The others, sure.
Win as a team. Lose as a team. Squish gently as a team.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:36 pm

The others, sure.
Win as a team. Lose as a team. Squish gently as a team.
Fair enough. A weak link or weak links in the main rotation is definitely a problem. It only takes 1 guy to fuck it up for the other 4 out there.