Ugh.
DrPepper

Re: 2024

Post by DrPepper »

I'm shamefully unaware of illegal immigrants in my midst.
Of the legal immigrants,
1) they keep my bridges and buildings safe because the US is not producing enough domestic civil engineers (see ASCE data and infrastructure report cards)
2) they milk the cows and pick the crops in terrible conditions with long hours because no citizens will take the jobs (H-2A program)
3) they fill our STEM class rooms, universities, and hospitals. They are CEOs of many of our most successful companies.

Relative to undocumented immigrants, U.S.-born citizens are over 2 times more likely to be arrested for violent crimes, 2.5 times more likely to be arrested for drug crimes, and over 4 times more likely to be arrested for property crimes. (PNAS, peer-reviewed, 2020; https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.2014704117)
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:21 pm I will preface my question with this, I think undocumented immigrants and how we deal with them in the future will be one of the most important issues this country will deal with in the next decade.

Please list for me the 3 most significant ways you think undocumented immigrants effect your life today?

Saying this is a "big issue" is not specific. Tell me three specific things/ways in which undocumented immigrants affect your life daily.
I know this is powerful and profound and stuff, but it works the same for almost any issue.

hOw WoUlD dEfUnDiNg UkRaInE aFfEcT YoU pErSoNaLly?

HoW dO cHiNa'S tAiWaN aMbItIoNs AfFeCt yOu PeRsOnAlLy?

hOw DoEs BiLl GaTeS' tAx RaTe AfFeCt yOu PeRsOnAlLy?

Etc., etc. ad nauseam.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:08 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:45 pm uncles open border will be the single biggest issue in november.
Please list for me the 3 most significant ways you think undocumented immigrants effect your life today?

Saying this is a "big issue" is not specific. Tell me three specific things/ways in which undocumented immigrants affect your life daily.
We are all different. In some ways they have a positive impact in my life but in some ways they have a negative impact - and frankly, the negative outweigh the positive.

Negative....

1. Money.

2. Crime.

3. Health.

I can/will go in to details if anyone truly gives a shit.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I'll help.

1. The cost of construction and everything we build in the US would go up. Especially housing. And construction would slow down because we already have a shortage of tradespeople in the construction industry. My job depends on construction so that is a big deal for me. And the cost of may home out in the Empire would be 33-50% higher.

2. Most of the foods I eat would be more expensive. If you thought inflation was bad post covid, post Ukraine invasion; without the undocumented labor that provides food abundance here it would be much higher. Many rural areas would see their economies collapse as crops go unharvested.

3. They are keeping Social Security afloat until I can collect it in the future.

Bonus Round 4. The cost of elder care is kept lower due to the workers who do the dirty work behind the scenes in facilities and who assist people outside of facilities.

I would have to say that undocumented immigrants make my life better. But your experience may vary.

There may be others who don't live in a house, or eat food, or get old, so they don't benefit from any of this. Or they are just independently wealthy and none of this registers in their life.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:29 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:21 pm I will preface my question with this, I think undocumented immigrants and how we deal with them in the future will be one of the most important issues this country will deal with in the next decade.

I know this is powerful and profound and stuff, but it works the same for almost any issue.

hOw WoUlD dEfUnDiNg UkRaInE aFfEcT YoU pErSoNaLly?

HoW dO cHiNa'S tAiWaN aMbItIoNs AfFeCt yOu PeRsOnAlLy?

hOw DoEs BiLl GaTeS' tAx RaTe AfFeCt yOu PeRsOnAlLy?

Etc., etc. ad nauseam.
You should get your keyboard fixed, there seems to be an issue.

If Putin's aggression is unchecked my gut feel is he will push further into Europe and it will cause even greater economic stress than the Ukraine invasion. I am invested in a stable world economy so economic chaos is a negative for me.

Insert "Xi" for "Putin" above.

I see no correlation between Gates or anyone else's tax rates and my life satisfaction. Is this a good time bring up tax cuts me for me tho, cuz that would be a plus for my life I think.

But back to undocumented immigrants......how do they affect your life?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:34 pm
Negative....

1. Money.

2. Crime.

3. Health.

Yes, please details.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

fentanyl
crime
disease

were the 3 big ones at the republican rally last night.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:07 pm fentanyl
crime
disease

were the 3 big ones at the republican rally last night.
The Republican rally is right, you should lay off the fentanyl.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:50 pm
Negative....

1. Money.

2. Crime.

3. Health.

Yes, please details.
Without giving it too much thought.....
I am extremely confident all of these things I am going to mention can be confirmed by simple internet searches.

Money.
We have a budget deficit in Chicago. A lot of money has been spent on providing food and shelter. While I am a compassionate person, I prefer my tax dollars go to fighting crime, infrastructure, schools, health care services, etc.
Things that affect me and the other citizens of Chicago - who pay taxes and rent/mortgages.

Crime.
SOME of the "undocumented immigrants" are committing crimes. I have witnessed some first hand.
My guess is that the majority of crimes being committed are simple shoplifting - which only affects me in that if there is a confrontation I don't feel safe - and (see "Money") stores may be paying more for security and having to either lay off employees or pass the costs and losses on to the consumer - me.
Some are "serious" crimes. Car jackings, armed robberies, stabbings, shootings, murders, etc.
A couple of weeks ago I felt the need to tell my mother not to go to a local Dunkin Donuts (across the street from the migrant shelter) because I know and have seen criminal activity takes place there.

Health.
SOME have serious health issues including transmissible illnesses. They are passing them on to each other and on to other citizens. It's been documented.
Heck, there are sick "undocumented immigrants"/migrants seeking shelter in public buildings (i.e. police stations, airports, libraries) and on public transportation (buses, trains).
I live near Northwestern Hospital. I know doctors and a nurses. I have been told the hospital has been inundated with caring for the "undocumented immigrants"/migrants. At what cost to me and people I care about? Longer waits at Urgent Care, the Emergency Room, to get simple doctor's appointments? Maybe, maybe not but I can guarantee you that more people needing medical care at Northwestern doesn't help anyone needing medical care.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gutter those are addressble issues. With a working Congress not sabotaged by GOP trolls
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

From you lips to God's ears.
I don't want anyone to misunderstand me. I'm not someone who is FUCK "undocumented Immigrants and migrants. I'm someone who would like to see the situation/s handled better. Especially by the assholes ON BOTH "SIDES" who have used it as a political ploy to divide us as a country.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:39 am
Sparko wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:35 am I think Stefanik is in the running for the most shameless Nazi Sympathizer Award, 2024. She has more brain cells than other MAGAs, so it is all really about raw power. But as a woman, she is not valued by the MAGA. Hypocrisy and self loathing. 9.7 out of 10 on the Shameless scale. She is a hostage to self-destructive ambition. Willful.
I have a feeling that Stefanik is grossly underestimating just how fatal (to her VP candidacy-candidacy) one particular "flaw" of hers is. I could be proven wrong (and I of course could not care less about that "flaw"), but it sure SEEMS like she's headed toward getting left at the altar.
Look jfish, Jeff Tiedrich read your mind:

Jeff Tiedrich
@itsJeffTiedrich

Jan 22
Alina Habba can't fake being smart and Elise Stefanik can't fake being honest
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I know this is a low bar, but I am comforted to see Haley held her own in New Hampshire.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:45 pm uncles open border will be the single biggest issue in november.

We are all different. In some ways they have a positive impact in my life but in some ways they have a negative impact - and frankly, the negative outweigh the positive.

Negative....

1. Money.

2. Crime.

3. Health.

Here's the quick internet search you mentioned.

Money- it seems that by percentage more undocumented immigrants work for a living than "citizens" in Chicago https://robparal.com/wp-content/uploads ... lation.pdf

Crime - https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/how- ... mpares-u-s

Health - yeah healthcare in Chicago sounds like it sucks, still trying to find where undocumented immigrants fit into the data https://healthcareweekly.com/report-chi ... ealthcare/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:25 pm I know this is a low bar, but I am comforted to see Haley held her own in New Hampshire.
I’m glad she used her concession speech to finally open up the guns a little bit.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:25 pm I know this is a low bar, but I am comforted to see Haley held her own in New Hampshire.
I’m glad she used her concession speech to finally open up the guns a little bit.
LOL

She might just have to stay in it long enough for one of the courts to convict Trump of something serious though, right?

I don't really think she can beat him, but maybe she can steal a state or two?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:54 pm
LOL

She might just have to stay in it long enough for one of the courts to convict Trump of something serious though, right?

It will be interesting to see where she goes from here. It seems like, with a few exceptions, nearly all of the current republican office holders including the ones from the state where she was governor are falling in line behind Trump.

Pro tip: Republicans fall in line, Democrats fall in love. (With their presidential candidates.)

Haley trails Trump badly in the polls in S Carolina, and it would be a particularly bad look and stain on her future prospects if she were to lose her home state by a large %.

However, for the reason you stated and I emboldened, it will be interesting to see if the rich donors who've supported her as a possible alternative to Trump, Charles Koch, Stanley Druckenmiller, Andy Sabin, et al., including Democratic donor extraordinaire and LinkedIn co-founder Reid "fucking" Hoffman, decide they want to keep funding her campaign sufficiently so that she'll be in position to pick up the mantle should Trump's candidacy falter.

Otherwise, my guess is she'll get out before S. Carolina.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

japhy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 pm

Negative....

1. Money.

2. Crime.

3. Health.

Here's the quick internet search you mentioned.

Money- it seems that by percentage more undocumented immigrants work for a living than "citizens" in Chicago https://robparal.com/wp-content/uploads ... lation.pdf

Crime - https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/how- ... mpares-u-s

Health - yeah healthcare in Chicago sounds like it sucks, still trying to find where undocumented immigrants fit into the data https://healthcareweekly.com/report-chi ... ealthcare/

Ok, seems you and I may not be on the same page....
I am 100% ok with "undocumented immigrants" who are in our country trying to make a better life for themselves and their family members - as long as they are doing as such in a manner in which they are productive, law abiding (other than being "illegal"), and making an effort to become "legalized". No harm no foul.
Unfortunately maybe I am an asshole, because I admit I do have a problem with that.

Money - Sure, we have a lot of undocumented immigrants working in the city of Chicago. That's fantastic for them and peachy for/with me. Problem is we have a lot of undocumented immigrants/migrants that are NOT working in the city of Chicago - and many of them are "living off" the government (me as a tax payer). As I said (and provided examples of), that can (and does) have a negative impact on me and the city I live in.
Those who are trying to find jobs and support themselves, good for them, me, and the city.
There are too many that are not trying to find jobs to support themselves, and that's not good for them, me, and the city.

Crime - You provided a story from May of 2019. Now find one from January of 2014. There were an estimated 25,000-30,000 "migrants" (number is higher when we expand to all "undocumented immigrants") who came to Chicago in 2023. Most NOT working. SOME committing crimes. In 2023, at least 700 Venezuelan migrants were arrested by the Chicago police. Now tell me the number who committed crimes that they weren't arrested for. It's more than 700.
There are an estimated 250,000 "undocumented immigrants" living in the Chicagoland area. I assume most NOT committing crimes but for every 1 that does, that is 1 too many.

Health -
You provided a story from 2018. A LOT has happened in the health care system since 2018.
Granted, I provided you with anecdotal evidence in regards to Northwestern Hospital but in regards to my saying it's been documented, I'm confident if you type in something such as migrant health issues in Chicago in to a web search you will find examples.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:54 pm
LOL

I was not very clear - I don’t hold out any hope of her actually beating Trump for the nomination.

But there are lots of things I like about her digging in - I think it is a good thing, for example, for Rs to have to make and record a choice (of, in my opinion, authoritarianism).

I also think there are few things that bother him more than powerful women who challenge him, and as someone who does not want him to win the 2024 general, I do want him to blow up his chances by showing over and over and over that he hates women do not fall in line.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

For a former president and the Republican "incumbent" to only capture 54% of the vote in the New Hampshire Republican primary is way, way weak. Even in an open primary state, that's pathetic.

And Trump's unhinged, retribution, I mean, "victory" speech last night should remind anyone watching just what we're in for over the next 10 months.

And, as Claire McCaskill asked for this morning, can we have a moment of silence for S Carolina Senator Tim Scott, who Trump made sure to humiliate, again, last night?

Ana Navarro-Cárdenas
@ananavarro

Pretty amazing to see Tim Scott WHO WAS GIVEN THE GIFT OF BEING APPOINTED TO THE US SENATE by then-Governor Nikki Haley, standing behind Trump grinning like a Cheshire cat as Trump trashes her.

Damn, he working hard for that VP spot.

Alex Cole
@acnewsitics

Tim Scott to Trump: "Ohh I just love you." 🤮

People like Tim Scott are the reason why Republicans look at black and brown people as second-class citizens.

Gregg Nunziata
@greggnunziata

Tim Scott. Debasing himself even further by standing behind Trump and cheering every piece of garbage that comes out of his mouth. Laughing when Trump implies Sununu is on drugs. How disgraceful. Always remember.

Joe Walsh
@WalshFreedom

There’s Trump up on stage just now lying again & saying that he really won the 2020 election, and there’s Tim Scott up there right behind him laughing & cheering. Pathetic.
Anand Giridharadas