G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: G’Day Mate Johnny Furphy

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:05 am I'd be shocked if Furphy isn't getting $250k+ in NIL. If nobody was following the old rules then I doubt anyone is following the new ones they don't enforce.
Eh, this is different - not an NCAA thing, a federal law thing. An immigration/visa fuckup could have a very long tail for him.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:13 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:05 am I'd be shocked if Furphy isn't getting $250k+ in NIL. If nobody was following the old rules then I doubt anyone is following the new ones they don't enforce.
Eh, this is different - not an NCAA thing, a federal law thing. An immigration/visa fuckup could have a very long tail for him.
But not a problem for an Australian "company", correct?

Do we know he hasn't already received a work visa?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:39 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:13 am
But not a problem for an Australian "company", correct?

Do we know he hasn't already received a work visa?
I think - I think - the issue is that he can't yet be here on a work visa because he's not yet "employed", and he can't have much taxable income while here on an education visa.

So non-US players are in something of a gap that exists because (for the moment anyway) one of the two main prongs of player compensation is NIL (the other being scholarship/room/board/etc.).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Not sure if it's legit, but a quick google search shows how much it costs for Furphy to record a video, or make an appearance, or autograph, or you can pitch an idea to him for a fee.

So, there's that.

I think "we'd" be smart enough to find a way to compensate him (or his family) without endangering his immigration status.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KJHGUY

Post by KJHGUY »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 pm First official "update"

https://www.instagram.com/p/C51_lN4pVlX ... 01cGk5OQ==
Yeah
Rock chalk jayhawk 🔴🔵
IAM Doning BIG THING YOU DIGG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yep
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That sounds like he’s outta here mate.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 pm That sounds like he’s outta here mate.
sounds like it...but he could get some bad feedback and boomerang back

if I were wagering, though, my money would be on him being gone.....and off to the g league for a few years. He's not ready anywhere ready to play
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He not.
Not that it matters.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He may not be ready to contribute on the floor, but he's certainly ready to be developed by an NBA team.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

odds that he ever plays consistently for an NBA team? he has time on his side, ill give him that.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 pm odds that he ever plays consistently for an NBA team? he has time on his side, ill give him that.
The odds aren't great for most of the 60 guys who will be drafted....I'd put his chances of long term success below Gradey's but above Jalen Wilson's.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 pm odds that he ever plays consistently for an NBA team? he has time on his side, ill give him that.
The odds aren't great for most of the 60 guys who will be drafted....I'd put his chances of long term success below Gradey's but above Jalen Wilson's.
I guess either way he's closer to retiring at Mich's magic 67 than I am!
Just Ledoux it
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:11 pm That sounds like he’s outta here mate.
The disappointment is not worth the five bucks...

Which doesn't mean I won't still take it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Illy is paying me a grand within the next ten years so I can send you five bucks.

I think if he leaves it is a wise decision short term and a poor decision long…both in earning potential and development as a player.

Earning potential I’ve already explained. I think he gets drafted end of 1st. I think another year and he could go lotto. An improvement of say 10 spots is a financial benefit long term…with a better chance to earn that second contract.

As far as development I’m not saying you don’t have access to good coaching and training in the NBA but he will never experience what it’s like to be a stud at a big level before going to the biggest level there is.

Whatever.
This sport is dumb now.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how much toward development being a “stud at a big” (but lesser) level is, while also having to balance training and practice with things like studying and class, versus development that affords 100% of your time spent on…well, development.

Not that I wouldn’t love a sophomore Furph!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

These dudes don’t study or class anymore.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 am These dudes don’t study or class anymore.
No, but they do have limits on time they can be coached. Which is dumb.

I think you're right that some people develop better in college, where they have time to slowly build up to the competition they face.

Others have done fine just going straight into the pros.

In this particular instance, I think Furphy probably would be better served spending another year (at minimum) in college. We've got some young guys doing decent in the league (Gradey, Och, CB) and I think he's by far the worst at basketball out of those guys. We have also had other guys I think are better at basketball than him go to the league and flame out relatively quickly.

I hope he makes it. He has intriguing skills and size. I am not overly optimistic about his chances of being an above average NBA player.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:37 am These dudes don’t study or class anymore.
They at least have to meet some token expectations of as much tho, right?