Official Gonna Have Our Way with the Cougars Thread

Kansas Basketball.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Official Gonna Have Our Way with the Cougars Thread

Post by KUTradition »

i think my vote is for #Furfinator
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

LosCondorAzule wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:33 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:22 pm The following was all copied from twitter: #Kubball

Kelvin on playing at Allen Fieldhouse: It's like getting in the World Series, and you can't hit Verlander or Sandy Koufax. Adds that it's sacrilegious that Houston was favored.

On the scale of bad nicknames to good nicknames, how do we feel about Big Game Johnny? I'm throwing it in the hat:

-The Wizard of Aus (I think this is my favorite)

-Just throwing these out there… Australian Stallion, Kansas Kangaroo, Aussie Assassin, Thunder from Down Under. Wizard of Aus is pretty dope, though.

-Johnny Nets

-Johnny Ballgame

-By the time we have a nickname for him he will be getting drafted #8 overall to the Hornets.

-His Dad hashtagged him #Wizardof Oz and #TheFurfinator

-idk but he need an NIL deal with @JohnnysTaverns if that doesn’t exist already

-Game Day Johnny aka G’day Johnny

-The Gunner From Down Under

-Furphy's Law, for the win.
- IN Merica Furphy is changed to Murphy
and we just call ya Murph
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:56 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:32 pm
Thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it. It's easy to be a good interview after one of the most dominating performance of the college basketball season but he really does a great job in these interviews. He seems very genuine and is respectful while also managing to be a great teacher of the game and in-game actions.

He delivers this what what I'd call "can't call it cockiniss to think you're great if the facts show that you're great" confidence/arrogance. You cannot succeed at this level without some swagger and arrogance.

Age, grandkids, a second title and a major heart health scare have softened Self a bit. He's 61 and seeing that he is much closer to the end of his career than the beginning. I like this version of him. I'd bet he is trying to figure out when to chew some ass and when to laugh it off. Based on how well he teaches his players to accomplish physically and mentally challenging tasks at the highest level for an elite percentage of the time asked to do it against the most consistently high level of opponent year in and year out, I believe that he will figure it out and adjust quite well and continue to perform at perhaps an even higher rate.

The transfer portal has given Self a chance to tinker with his roster to try to fill roster holes fresh every season. There will always be some misses in both recruiting and in players from the portal, but that had always been the case. You can just minimize your negative impact of them in today's system. Transfers will calm a bit in the next five years but they still have to deal with the incompetent ncaa.

Yes, there are discussions happening with the Big 10 and the SEC. It says a lot about the lack of respect that the ncaa member insituations have with the ncaa. But e er best case scenario, the rest of Bill Self's career will happen under the current ncaa tourney model. It will take more than a decade to pull all of these athletic departments out from under the umbrella of the ncaa.

This is an interesting new era in Self's professional career.
I would say Self is more in his “prime” than nearing the “end”. Don’t place so much emphasis on the age of 61. I prefer the old adage of “old age and trickery often outbests youth and skill”. Who knows how many championships he has left in him. That’s almost an insult to say 61 is nearing his “end”.
Bill Self is in his 31st year as a head coach. I think we all agree that he will coach for significantly less than 31 more years. I stand by my statement of "he is much closer to the end of his career than the beginning". It's simple math. My guess is that it is more than likely that he has a max of 10 years left. The season with Wiggins and Embiid was 10 years ago, which doesn't seem that long ago.

If you assigned some meaning of "nearer to the end than the beginning" of "not as good" then that's a mistake on your part. I agree that he is currently in the prime of his career.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

On the Jayhawk podcast, Lightfoot and Teahan, who know Self and the program pretty well, speculate he has about 5 or so more years left.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

LosCondorAzule wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:33 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:22 pm The following was all copied from twitter: #Kubball

Kelvin on playing at Allen Fieldhouse: It's like getting in the World Series, and you can't hit Verlander or Sandy Koufax. Adds that it's sacrilegious that Houston was favored.

On the scale of bad nicknames to good nicknames, how do we feel about Big Game Johnny? I'm throwing it in the hat:

-The Wizard of Aus (I think this is my favorite)

-Just throwing these out there… Australian Stallion, Kansas Kangaroo, Aussie Assassin, Thunder from Down Under. Wizard of Aus is pretty dope, though.

-Johnny Nets

-Johnny Ballgame

-By the time we have a nickname for him he will be getting drafted #8 overall to the Hornets.

-His Dad hashtagged him #Wizardof Oz and #TheFurfinator

-idk but he need an NIL deal with @JohnnysTaverns if that doesn’t exist already

-Game Day Johnny aka G’day Johnny

-The Gunner From Down Under

-Furphy's Law, for the win.
- IN Merica Furphy is changed to Murphy
and we just call ya Murph
Furthree

close post
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Only shot 70-percent. Damn
thebones

Post by thebones »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:11 pm
thebones wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:24 pm
AlOerter wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:12 pm
Most of the turnovers were just so careless - not trying to make a fancy play -just basic passes.
this

BONESY!!!

best wishes.
Thanks man. Someone remembers me from the good ole days. Miss the .com.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

thems were the days
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?