Site Admin

Re: A.I.

Post by pdub »

No thanks.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:33 am Wow!

Google: Gemini is our natively multimodal AI model capable of reasoning across text, images, audio, video and code. This video highlights some of our favorite interactions with Gemini.

Hands-on with Gemini: Interacting with multimodal AI

Learn more and try the model: https://deepmind.google/gemini
Update:

Google is getting a LOT of pushback about the video they put out a couple of days ago that I posted yesterday.

It turns out they had heavily edited the video, including shortening the latency between when they introduced a problem to Gemini and when it answered it, and they also shortened Gemini’s responses, to make them appear more concise and accurate.

The result is, instead of creating the impression that they’re on the cusp of catching up with other co.s that are trying to market AI capabilities, especially but not limited to Microsoft, they’ve caused people to suspect they’re even farther away from bringing a viable product to the market, otherwise, why would they create a “fake” video?

Someone pointed out that they didn’t launch Google as a search engine until 6 years after search engines first came out and now they control at least 90% of the market, but still…
“Discipline is choosing between what you want now, and what you want most.”
Abraham Lincoln
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hasbro lays off over 1000 people, right before Xmas, much of those their art staff and now is posting jobs for digital artists who can touch up AI generated imagery.

Fuck this soulless trash.
I’ll be pirating any future D and D stuff and will be certain never to buy MtG stuff again.
I’ll also just have my bro send me his copy of BG3 once he’s done with it.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:19 pm Every time you have an exchange with Chat GPT, it’s the equivalent of pouring out half a litre of fresh water on the ground

that’s how much water it’s estimated to take, per interaction, to cool the AI supercomputers (same kind of issue as with cryptocurrency)
There's this.

But everything tech/Nasdaq is benign, totes cool and not-olds
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

From seekingalpha.com :

UK Supreme Court rejects appeal to grant patent on inventions from AI - report

In a landmark case in the U.K., an American computer scientist lost his appeal to register patents on inventions created by his artificial intelligence system, Reuters reported.

Stephen Thaler wanted two patents to be issued in the U.K. over inventions he said were devised by his "creativity machine" called DABUS, the report added.

Thaler's attempt to register the patents was refused by Britain's Intellectual Property Office on the grounds that the inventor must be a human or a company, not a machine.

Thaler appealed to the U.K.'s Supreme Court, which on Wednesday unanimously rejected the appeal.

Judge David Kitchin, while announcing the ruling, said that under the country's patent law "an inventor must be a natural person," the report noted.

In April, Thaler lost a similar appeal in the U.S. Supreme Court wherein the court declined to hear a challenge to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's rejection to issue patents for inventions created by his AI system.

Generative AI services have taken the world by storm since the launch of Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT)-backed OpenAI's ChatGPT last year.

However, intellectual property, or IP, has been a tricky issue when it comes to AI.

Earlier this month, Meta Platforms (META) reportedly faced a lawsuit from certain authors alleging that the company used their works without consent to train its AI model Llama. In September, OpenAI was sued in a New York federal court by several authors, including George R.R. Martin and John Grisham, over alleged copyright infringement.
“Discipline is choosing between what you want now, and what you want most.”
Abraham Lincoln
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The gray issue is how much of that AI generated content does a human need to alter before you can consider it to be something you can copyright?

For an illustration per se, can I prompt my machine with a few words, pick something I like, then have a poorly paid artist digitally fix the hands in 15 minutes and call it a day?

Or since that machine was trained from content almost no one agreed to give it, can nothing that uses AI be copyrighted?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:31 am The gray issue is how much of that AI generated content does a human need to alter before you can consider it to be something you can copyright?

For an illustration per se, can I prompt my machine with a few words, pick something I like, then have a poorly paid artist digitally fix the hands in 15 minutes and call it a day?

Or since that machine was trained from content almost no one agreed to give it, can nothing that uses AI be copyrighted?
the other gray issue is there is some growing sentiment coming from the disclosure camps that suggest that it's entirely in the realm of possibility that we're all a form of AI. So....then what? Nothing matters at all anymore. But the animals still need fed and the grass mowed and bills paid....even if it is a matrix world. So I suppose I'll just keep plugging along.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah? Well, I still jerk off manually.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

that's what you think

kinda surprised you haven't rigged yourself up a lil Fifi....or modified a sawzall...

I kid I kid.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

arms race
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ESPN's site has introduced a digital icon that let's you know who illustrated a web graphic on their page.

That's very cool.
Thank you ESPN for supporting the profession and not just trying to cut costs at every corner.