Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 am i thought you might be referencing tommy “q” tubberville’s recent comments
What a ____ing disgrace! And, a senator from Alabama! WTAF!?
I'm old enough to remember when republicans, and especially southern Republicans, were anti-communists, not apologists for Russian dictators.

(I have to admit, watching Tubberville "parrot" Putin's talking points like that, gave me an idea for a new nik-name for one of our fellow contributors.)

GOP senator says 'Putin is on top of his game' while saying U.S. forced Russia into Ukraine War
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

As generally as possible…

it kinda IS curious that there’s been a polar shift from dems being the “anti-war” party to now being the party of “never met a lethal aid we don’t wanna throw taxpayer dollars at,” while pubs are the ones essentially pumping the brakes on the MIC.

Tho of course, the devil’s in the details.

And when the war thread push comes to shove, both parties tend to march in lock step
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:45 am As generally as possible…

it kinda IS curious that there’s been a polar shift from dems being the “anti-war” party to now being the party of “never met a lethal aid we don’t wanna throw taxpayer dollars at,” while pubs are the ones essentially pumping the brakes on the MIC.

And when the war thread push comes to shove, both parties tend to march in lock step
I hope I don’t regret jumping in here……

The nuance about the pubs is that they are doing whatever Putin is blackmailing them into doing, which, in this case, happens to be pumping the brakes on MIC spending.

Kompramat is a powerful tool.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:45 am As generally as possible…

You're going to have to define "essentially" as used in your post.

Because if you are implying that "pumping the brakes on the MIC" is WHY the pubs are standing in the way of Ukraine aid, then you have been sold a bill of (Russian) goods.

And if what you mean, instead, is that the effect of what the pubs are doing is "pumping the brakes on the MIC" - well, you're not incorrect. But I would say in that case that you are seeking out something that makes you feel better in the short-term, with a fairly naïve view of what the next 5-50 (?) years will look like for us at home if Russia is allowed to run roughshod over Eastern and Central Europe (and Western Europe and Japan/Korea are forced to conclude we're worthless as an ally).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if we are a little slow on the purse strings. our dear friends, partners in nato will pick up our slack. until we can get it together. all for one. one for all.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:58 am if we are a little slow on the purse strings. our dear friends, partners in nato will pick up our slack. until we can get it together. all for one. one for all.
You continue to not understand how Ukraine aid actually works - which you probably should, since (one, well, you're commenting on it, and two) it's a fairly folksy manufacturing/supply chain issue.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think it’s very possible Russia has corrupted/is corrupting the GOP, particularly considering all the Trump shit.

But that’s obviously not something the GOP can just say out loud.

The reasons the GOP gives for opposing Ukraine aid are multi-fold.

Some seem to be using it as an opposition bargaining chip; as a “well the dems want Ukraine aid and I oppose anything the dems want to I’m going to insist I get my pound of flesh here too”

Within that and as part of that, they seem to have coupled Ukraine aid with more nationalist concerns such as border security, or even more generally, “should be spending that on the U.S. people instead” (even tho they don’t know what they’d want to spend that on - not healthcare, not housing, just this poorly thought me-first ideology I guess)

But I guess it’s also the old Cold War boogeyman that has whipped dems into a frenzy, for which they insist the only cure is more and more and more to Ukraine (and Israel, and Taiwan), without ever taking a deep enough breath to consider anything but.

And, here’s your friendly reminder that Biden’s current strategy of piecemeal support has not only yielded 1/5 of Ukraine to Russia so far, but also Biden just seems…ok with conceding it?

For real if this happened under Trump’s watch pretty sure certain posters here would be pointing to it as bonafide evidence that Trump is under Putin’s influence. But when it happens under Biden’s watch, well at least it’s not Trump.

I know the strategy has changed form more offensive to more hold the current lines, but I dunno the details of that, or if there’s any indication to suggest it’ll be any many effective than what’s so far been tried.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:00 pm I think it’s very possible Russia has corrupted/is corrupting the GOP, particularly considering all the Trump shit.

But that’s obviously not something the GOP can just say out loud.

The reasons the GOP gives for opposing Ukraine aid are multi-fold.

Some seem to be using it as an opposition bargaining chip; as a “well the dems want Ukraine aid and I oppose anything the dems want to I’m going to insist I get my pound of flesh here too”

Within that and as part of that, they seem to have coupled Ukraine aid with more nationalist concerns such as border security, or even more generally, “should be spending that on the U.S. people instead” (even tho they don’t know what they’d want to spend that on - not healthcare, not housing, just this poorly thought me-first ideology I guess)

But I guess it’s also the old Cold War boogeyman that has whipped dems into a frenzy, for which they insist the only cure is more and more and more to Ukraine (and Israel, and Taiwan), without ever taking a deep enough breath to consider anything but.

And, here’s your friendly reminder that Biden’s current strategy of piecemeal support has not only yielded 1/5 of Ukraine to Russia so far, but also Biden just seems…ok with conceding it?

For real if this happened under Trump’s watch pretty sure certain posters here would be pointing to it as bonafide evidence that Trump is under Putin’s influence. But when it happens under Biden’s watch, well at least it’s not Trump.

I know the strategy has changed form more offensive to more hold the current lines, but I dunno the details of that, or if there’s any indication to suggest it’ll be any many effective than what’s so far been tried.
You continue to have ZERO idea what this actually means and represents (or you keep saying it, even though you know better).

And things like that just make everything else you say...unserious.

I will not post speculation, but I think if you search on Twitter today you will see that there may be something quite serious percolating, vis a vis Russia. Wonder how the peaceniks will respond if the speculation is directionally accurate.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Same question I asked Shirley in the Biden thread:

…huh?

Are you now suggesting I consume more Russian propoganda on Twitter?!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm not sure where you consume it but you slurp it up like a good comrade.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

TDub wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:17 pm I'm not sure where you consume it but you slurp it up like a good comrade.
OK, but he didn't inhale.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Let’s have a war!?

Post by jfish26 »

Whatever Low Earth Orbit did, it must have been serious.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A “national security threat” with no further details kinda seems vague. Who let CoyDC be committee chair?

It also kinda seems coincidental with also currently looking for support to pass a controversial war thread bill.

But I know I can be more skeptical about these sorts of things than the other folks at the mall
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

color me shocked that this is your response.

remember to come up for air
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

EMPs would ruin a lot of days. Lots of other potential threats. Desperate dictator bingo
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait a sec...

is that the plot to Goldeneye?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I was thinking Strangelove. But we are here.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Putin and trumpty dumpty have been working on this for a decade. It is a defensive weapon they will deploy to blow up hurricanes, and of course Nazis.

Not the Nazis that support them, just the bad Nazis.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.