Welcome Kevin McCullar

Kansas Basketball.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: Welcome Kevin McCullar

Post by Overlander »

Julian Wright was equal parts amazing and nauseating.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:49 am if it is KJ next year that would be so rad

but if it IS KJ next year, that likely means he shows up displaying some sort of consistent offensive production from further than 3 feet from the rim.

Which is mostly to say, a jumper.

I know he's got that little 10 foot floater sometimes, but even that only seems sometimes.

and I guess there's some outside chance KJ shows up with better handles, and does it as more of a slasher, perhaps...
^^^

Without an outside shot, it's going to be difficult for KJ to reach his potential

potential.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I would have been satisfied if McCullar was a 1st Team All Conference player this season. Now it looks like he can be a 1st Team All American. Hats off to him. KU is better off for it.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I am no Nostradumbass like Randy, but I was stoked when KM transferred to KU simply based on how well be played AGAINST KU.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NPOY for KJ seems unlikely, he would need big scoring numbers. He's always reminded me a ton of draymond green. I know people don't like draymond cause of his antics, but when I compare KJs game to his I mean that as really high praise. They both have really complete games, except for outside shooting . Defensively they are elite elite with versality, toughness, athleticism

I think draymonds last in year college he finished 3rd in the NPOY race behind Anthony Davis and Thomas robinson
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mccullar makes the top 10 watch list too. For shooting guards

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2u_MT2gW1r ... F0N3c2NXIy
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OK, they are considering RJ Davis a shooting guard.
Whatever.
In the three games i've watched he does most of the initial ball handling. Don't know where their qualifications come from.

Mark Sears should be on one of these lists.

edit - his coach agrees:

Nate Oats on Mark Sears being snubbed by Bob Cousy and Jerry West awards: 'It makes no sense'

"Whoever is deciding who's on these lists, I don't think he's looking at everything going on in college basketball right now, to be honest with you."
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

In fairness though, at Oats' Alabama, a guard aiding a shooter, can be misconstrued.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:58 pm OK, they are considering RJ Davis a shooting guard.
Whatever.
In the three games i've watched he does most of the initial ball handling. Don't know where their qualifications come from.

Mark Sears should be on one of these lists.

edit - his coach agrees:

Nate Oats on Mark Sears being snubbed by Bob Cousy and Jerry West awards: 'It makes no sense'

"Whoever is deciding who's on these lists, I don't think he's looking at everything going on in college basketball right now, to be honest with you."
Maybe the people who pick the list don't want to reward players for a sleezeball program who allow people involved in murders to play....?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If that's the reason, i'm cool with it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub is teetering on the edge of giving himself a timeout based on precedent.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:26 pm There’s no doubt McCullar is exactly what we hoped he’d be.

Randy isn’t wrong — he’s playing like a stud and if he keeps this up should be an All American…though I’d say 2nd. Could turn out to be a Dotson Dok situation unfortunately.
With McCullar ( and maybe just as importantly, Kansas ) loosing games here I think he might be out of the 1st team race.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:11 am
pdub wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:26 pm There’s no doubt McCullar is exactly what we hoped he’d be.

Randy isn’t wrong — he’s playing like a stud and if he keeps this up should be an All American…though I’d say 2nd. Could turn out to be a Dotson Dok situation unfortunately.
With McCullar ( and maybe just as importantly, Kansas ) loosing games here I think he might be out of the 1st team race.
I was thinking KM might stay in and HD might fall out....

Don't think both can get 1st team at this point.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

HD’s averages seem to be falling

i haven’t looked, but it doesn’t seem like that’s the case with KM
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

My 1st AA

Tyler kolek
Tristan Newton
Kevin mccullar
Dalton knecht
Zach edey

This is assuming Kevin mccullar comes back from injury soon and picks up where he left off
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Edey
Mark Sears
RJ Davis
Terrence Shannon
DaRon Holmes

Kevin on 2nd team with Newton and Hunter.
RJ Davis on a better team with as good if not better stats than Kolek.
DaRon Holmes is on a top 15 team.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I'd be shocked if DaRon gets it over KM. He averaged similar numbers last year and didn't get much national love.

Terrance Shannon has stink on him.
Last edited by DeletedUser on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

That list looks good too pdub. All those guys are worthy of consideration for 1st team at this point. Guess we will see how the last month of the season goes
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Tyler kolek is easily the best point guard in the country though in my opinion

Kolek - 16 pts, 7.4 assists, 5 rebounds
Davis - 21 pts, 3.5 assists, 3.6 rebounds

Rj Davis scores the ball more But that's a usage thing

Kolek - 49.5 fg, 41 3pt, 88 ft
Davis - 45 fg, 42 3pt, 90 ft

Both score the ball at a really efficient rate, Davis just takes more shots a game. Kolek is a much better facilitator and pg though, while Davis is more of a scorer looking to get shots up

I can see the argument for them BOTH being first team, but in my mind you can't leave kolek off. 7.5 assist per game is elite, especially when scoring the ball that well too
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:57 am I'd be shocked if DaRon gets it over KM. He averaged similar numbers last year and didn't get much national love.

Terrance Shannon has stink on him.
I'm not guessing who will get it because then i'd agree Kevin has a better shot.
I'm saying who i'd put on there, within reason.
Because otherwise my 1st team AA is:

KJ Adams
Kevin McCullar
Dajuan Harris
Johnny Furphy
Michael Jankovich