COOOOOOOOGARS

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: COOOOOOOOGARS

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:15 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:09 am elmarko the freshmen is playing like most freshmen play. like a freshmen.
I would be very interested in an objective analysis of whether (and by how much) we get more or less than others do out of guys in the 10-30ish range. Because it sure feels like we have done very poorly for a while (starting with about the Grimes/Thompson year).
Or maybe you guys should temper your expectations for freshman. It is tough to grasp the way self expects his teams to run offense and play defense as a true freshman. Most of them struggle and need a couple seasons to develop
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think elmarko is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in. He's going to be a really good player, just be patient. Hopefully he sticks around

People seem to forget he didn't grow up playing basketball, he played lacrosse his whole life. Elmarko got into basketball as a sophomore in high school, so he's still pretty new to the game compared to most guys he's playing against
Last edited by randylahey on Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am I think elmarko is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in. He's going to be a really good player, just be patient. Hopefully he sticks around
But, why would he?

He got 13 minutes and three shots last night, when our already-thin team was missing McCullar. Our next game is in March.

If he IS "doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in," then he is simply not talented enough to ever play here.

Or, if he is talented enough to play here, then I would suggest his role (in the context of our roster) does NOT support saying that he "is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in."
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:09 am elmarko the freshmen is playing like most freshmen play. like a freshmen.
Unless you play for Cal at Kentucky?
Reed Sheppard played like a Senior last night. Dude played like he was the best player in the country. Heck, he probably was the best player in the country last night.
Dillingham had 35 in 27 minutes against Tennessee.
Wagner scored 50 combined points in two games soon after he laid his gigantic turd against Kansas.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am I think elmarko is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in. He's going to be a really good player, just be patient. Hopefully he sticks around
But, why would he?

He got 13 minutes and three shots last night, when our already-thin team was missing McCullar. Our next game is in March.

If he IS "doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in," then he is simply not talented enough to ever play here.

Or, if he is talented enough to play here, then I would suggest his role (in the context of our roster) does NOT support saying that he "is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in."
This is a terrible take. Before the season everybody was seeing his ranking and expecting him to be a big time contributor, I was maybe the only one on the board that said wait a minute, he's raw he needs time to develop. Everyone wanted to tell me I was wrong (I wasn't.)

Now the same people are writing him off. Elmarko is really really talented. He's going to be a very good player.

Think of guys like tyshawn, EJ, frank, devonte, etc. They all needed some time to develop and grasp selfs system. Elmarko was a very similar prospect to EJ, who didn't really come on until junior year

Elmarko is going to be a really good player somewhere and it better be here. But most players aren't ready to do that as freshman. Especially in modern basketball where the big 12 is an older league with so many 3,4,5 and even some 6 year players
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm sorry but I can't watch the way Hunter plays and not think he isn't as driven as he could possibly be.
It's not cool/collected and passion either like a Tim Duncan.
It's, if I ( I in bold ) do something great, celebrate me. He does a ton of that. Even if KU is loosing.

I know i'm putting myself out in the eye test zone and I hate the eye test zone but pdub's eye test says you can't NOT place some of this blame on a guy who ( TO ME ) isn't tough or a good leader and who noticeably gives up on plays if things aren't going his way and is largely here so he could make more money.

Bigger problems are Kevin being hurt and depth ( bench does nothing ) - but you can't just ignore the above ( or I can't and don't think others should ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:47 am
But, why would he?

This is a terrible take. Before the season everybody was seeing his ranking and expecting him to be a big time contributor, I was maybe the only one on the board that said wait a minute, he's raw he needs time to develop. Everyone wanted to tell me I was wrong (I wasn't.)

Now the same people are writing him off. Elmarko is really really talented. He's going to be a very good player.

Think of guys like tyshawn, EJ, frank, devonte, etc. They all needed some time to develop and grasp selfs system. Elmarko was a very similar prospect to EJ, who didn't really come on until junior year

Elmarko is going to be a really good player somewhere and it better be here. But most players aren't ready to do that as freshman. Especially in modern basketball where the big 12 is an older league with so many 3,4,5 and even some 6 year players
I think you are engaged in revisionist history, in a number of ways.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am I'm sorry but I can't watch the way Hunter plays and not think he isn't as driven as he could possibly be.
It's, if I ( I in bold ) do something great, celebrate me. He does a ton of that. Even if KU is loosing.

I know i'm putting myself out in the eye test zone and I hate the eye test zone but pdub's eye test says you can't NOT place some of this blame on a guy who ( TO ME ) isn't tough or a good leader and is largely here so he could make more money.

Bigger problems are Kevin being hurt and depth ( bench does nothing ) - but you can't just ignore the above ( or I can't and don't think others should ).
I think there's more than a touch of confirmation bias here - I think you are predisposed to see the negative in Hunter, who you do not like, and who represents things you do not like.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I could see Elmarko becoming an Elijah Johnson level type player here in time for sure.
I don't think randy is wrong there.
Do we think Elmarko is of that mind set though to stay at KU through the grind of getting to that level?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:58 am
pdub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:55 am I'm sorry but I can't watch the way Hunter plays and not think he isn't as driven as he could possibly be.

I know i'm putting myself out in the eye test zone and I hate the eye test zone but pdub's eye test says you can't NOT place some of this blame on a guy who ( TO ME ) isn't tough or a good leader and is largely here so he could make more money.

I think there's more than a touch of confirmation bias here - I think you are predisposed to see the negative in Hunter, who you do not like, and who represents things you do not like.
I don't disagree fully.
But it's pretty obvious that he gives up on plays every single game ( to be fair, I didn't watch last nights game so I can't speak to that specifically but holy shit, that's a focus thing if you shoot 6-15 from the free throw line ) - if you don't see that, you aren't watching.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Bill took chances on a sexual predator, a mid-major shooter who can't shoot, a couple freshman who transferred before they played a game, a legacy player who is a former walk-on at Fizzou, and a big man who was touted as the best transfer in the history of the world, who never really won anything at his previous school and talks shit while also playing soft.
Last edited by InfiniteJ on Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

He also wasted a scholarship on a dude who is redshirting and probably will leave the program (again), a 5-star freshman who is athletic as all get out, but can't do much else, and a stud from Australia who will be easily forgotten because he played on one of the most mediocre teams in the Bill Self-era, and then left for the NBA after one season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Not even that hot of takes from Infinite J ( though I expect Furphy to return ).

I dunno if getting Timberlake is really Self's fault though - a lot of teams wanted him - he was scorching nets and you'd think that 3 point shooting would translate well enough to our level we needed him at.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the only thing we know for sure is, whatever we think next years roster is going to look like. it won't look anything like that.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:41 am I think elmarko is doing a good job of learning the system and fitting in.
I don't think he's done a good job at learning the system, he still looks the most lost of the bunch....but it's hard. I get it. Most freshman struggle to understand everything.

I DO think he's done a GREAT job at keeping a positive attitude regardless of his role.

I like his attitude from the outside....but i felt the same way about yesufu Pettiford Rice Udeh and Zuby last year, and well, they still left KU.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He does look the most lost out there.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if HD had played more like All-American in our head-scratching losses…

ucf:
5-9 from the field, 1-3 from 3; 1-2 from the line; 4 reb; 1 asst; 0 blk; 2 stl; 2 to; 12pts

wvu:
7-14 from the field, 0-2 from 3; 5-6 from the line; 5 reb; 5 asst; 2 blk: 2 stl; 4 to; 19 pts

ksu:
8-18 from the field, 0-2 from 3; 5-6 from the line; 12 rebs; 2 asst; 1 blk; 1 stl; 5 to; 21 pts

byu:
5-10 from the field, 1-1 from 3; 6-15 from the line; 11 rebs; 1 asst; 1 blk; 0 stl; 2 to; 17 pts

(i bet we go at least 3-1 if the bolded stats weren’t so shitty)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

whatever. we all know hd is not our problem. he is just the easiest target.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:31 am whatever. we all know hd is not our problem. he is just the easiest target.
he made himself the target, dipshit

and nobody is saying he’s our only problem, but don’t let facts stop you from spouting off
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He is a problem in the same way Dedric was.
Not your biggest problem and without him, you're fucked, but if that's the guy you're looking to lead your team, you're also fucked.