Ugh.
twocoach

Re: 2024

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:33 am why would anyone vote for any candidate that is not capable of participating in a debate.

do you idgits hear yourself. You are trying to convince yourself that it is proper to support a candidate that doesn’t have the capacity to debate the opponent.
Debates are pointless when Trump is involved. It just turns into one big giant pile of lies and bullshit. There has not been a single useful debate that had Trump on the stage. Every one has ended with the viewers scratching their head going "WTF did I just watch? We are fucked."

There is no point in even having them so long as he is allowed to behave as he always has.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hey mich, you do know, don’t you, that somebody chose not to participate in your own party’s debates? right?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:32 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:33 am why would anyone vote for any candidate that is not capable of participating in a debate.

do you idgits hear yourself. You are trying to convince yourself that it is proper to support a candidate that doesn’t have the capacity to debate the opponent.
Debates are pointless when Trump is involved. It just turns into one big giant pile of lies and bullshit. There has not been a single useful debate that had Trump on the stage. Every one has ended with the viewers scratching their head going "WTF did I just watch? We are fucked."

There is no point in even having them so long as he is allowed to behave as he always has.
I think the 2020 debates hurt him. I think they would hurt him more this time around. I think it would be a grave mistake for Biden not to broadcast that he's ready, willing and able.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

But Biden isn't "ready" or "able", even if his massive ego makes him "willing".

(Imo, of course)
Last edited by DeletedUser on Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t know that with any sort of certainty
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:11 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:32 pm

I think the 2020 debates hurt him. I think they would hurt him more this time around. I think it would be a grave mistake for Biden not to broadcast that he's ready, willing and able.
It might be a bad look for Biden to skip them, even though it did not hurt Trump one bit to skip all the GOP Primary debates this year. I doubt that Biden skips them.

Odds are most likely that they both look pathetic and the "how the fuck did we get stuck with these two" chatter gets louder.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:28 pm

Odds are most likely that they both look pathetic and the "how the fuck did we get stuck with these two" chatter gets louder.
My feeling as well....

And the one I think that hurts the most is Biden.

The Trumpers are going to turn out to vote regardless. Biden making people even less excited to vote for him who are already in the "meh, I'll vote for him because the other option is Trump" camp could be disastrous for him.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you don’t think there is a size-able number of people that will get out to vote against trump, regardless?

i could be wrong, but the only ones that matter are like the “middle” 20%…quite literally everyone else had already picked their guy when it became obvious what the scenario was gonna be
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:41 pm you don’t think there is a size-able number of people that will get out to vote against trump, regardless?
Absolutely there are.....but that bucket is more likely to not turn out to vote based on debates than Trump supporters imo.

I don't think Trump is losing any voters at this point. I am not sure how he could do anything worse than he's done.

Maybe I am totally off and Biden could help himself in the debates. I just don't see it and have seen nothing to think him having to think on the fly will end well. When he lies it matters. When trump lies it doesn't.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i just don’t know about Biden, to be honest

he seems to have nearly as many quick-witted moments as gaffes, but i’ll admit to not following along all that closely

i think there’s also something to be said for reading from a teleprompter versus im promptu debate
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:21 pm But Biden isn't "ready" or "able", even if his massive ego makes him "willing".

(Imo, of course)
I, personally, think he would be fine. I think skipping would be worse than a bad look - it would be playing into Trump's (and, more importantly, the media's) hands.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Biden should show up and debate an empty chair…
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm Biden should show up and debate an empty chair…
You joke, but it would be pretty powerful for him to do a town hall where he stands at one lectern and another is empty.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Powerful is not the word that comes to mind for me.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Biden is not nearly progressive enough. But he is the middle ground the country covets.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:10 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm Biden should show up and debate an empty chair…
You joke, but it would be pretty powerful for him to do a town hall where he stands at one lectern and another is empty.
Far better than anything Trump would soil. Twocoach is right about Trump's creepy debate lie fests
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:48 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:41 pm you don’t think there is a size-able number of people that will get out to vote against trump, regardless?
Absolutely there are.....but that bucket is more likely to not turn out to vote based on debates than Trump supporters imo.

I don't think Trump is losing any voters at this point. I am not sure how he could do anything worse than he's done.

Maybe I am totally off and Biden could help himself in the debates. I just don't see it and have seen nothing to think him having to think on the fly will end well. When he lies it matters. When trump lies it doesn't.
Purr speculation and assumption based on zero research or analysis.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Clint Eastwood did that already. It was painfully bad acting then and would be again.

The rules get rewritten every day now. Fuck the debates. There is no point in "debating" an unhinged desperate sociopath/pathological liar who has become untethered to reality. Cuz an actual debate is not possible.

Biden should do televised townhall meetings and put forth his vision for our country to the undecided.

trumpty dumpty can continue his dramatic recounting of the beer hall putsch and blatherpander to the joyful screechs of his loyal rubes.

We will sort it all out in November, just like Germany did in 1932!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:40 am just like Germany did in 1932!
I thought Annie Oakley misspoke.

But she did, in fact, say you spent the night in your hyperbolic chamber.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto