Re: 2024

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I do find it interesting that the Court, as horny as it was to not "decide" the election, did not extend its reversal to the Colorado state courts' determination (which Trump DID contest in its briefing to the Court) that Trump did in fact engage in insurrection.

I would not expect THIS Court to do something as silly as, ya know, follow precedent.

However, the general principle is that when a petitioner (Trump, in this case) raises multiple arguments on appeal, and the Court reverses on some grounds but not others, the grounds on which the Court was silent are deemed to have been rejected as reversal-worthy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would appeal, if possible, the fact that Congress and the judiciary has ALREADY indicted the traitor. In point of fact. It was harder to run from the Constitution here than they thought. Have to ignore precedent and other rulings even within Congress. Congress, on made up SCOTUS language grounds, needs to pass a law barring federal office every freaking time? Sure not in the Amendment. The 14th actually says that if competent authority within voting jurisdictions finds you are an insurrectionist, you are barred from office. Your remedy is Congressional relief at 2/3 majority.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 am Your remedy is Congressional relief at 2/3 majority.
or. run somebody other than oldmanstuffedshirt.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 am
Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 am Your remedy is Congressional relief at 2/3 majority.
Which one?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:58 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:50 am
Which one?
both
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 am
japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:40 am just like Germany did in 1932!
I thought Annie Oakley misspoke.

But she did, in fact, say you spent the night in your hyperbolic chamber.
Your knowledge of history and political machinations are greater than mine. I consider you an expert of sorts on that. The last time trumpty was president there were grownups in the room and he reluctantly accepted their word on how things worked at times and we avoided bigger crises. But I think we both know things would be different in a second term. There will only be sycophants and enablers in the room and they will actively work to remove grownups and Constitutional barriers. His personality/ego does not accept barriers.

Who and what would be the "guardrails" in a second trumpty term? Please be specific, names of grownups who would be in positions of power and who would try to stop him from following his most base inclinations? He believes himself to be above the law and immune to consequences. Who in a second term would tell him otherwise that could make it so?

It is obvious at this point that it will be a trumpty vs Biden rematch. Given the two choices who will you vote for and why?

Full disclosure I am in the Mark Cuban camp here. I will vote for Biden's corpse if it came to that. Anyone who has the best chance of beating trumpty dumpty gets my vote.

Hyperbole? I think Jan 6 took hyperbole off the table. His on going love affair with Putin should make anyone afraid for the security of Europe and the US.

Tell me why he will do "better" given a second chance? I am all ears.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A candidate for President is running for the office while openly asserting that the occupant of the office is above the law.

The fuck else could anyone need to see here?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

considering just how unappealing dt is. how unappealing must dt's opponent be if dt is polling higher.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm considering just how unappealing dt is. how unappealing must dt's opponent be if dt is polling higher.
Cults are powerful things.

Almost like there should have been a rule - call it a "supreme law of the land" maybe - designed to prevent an anti-American cult leader from holding office.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm
He won't. He's an asshole.

But that's not to say that he'll be able to overcome the institutional barriers that prevent him from becoming the tyrant he wants to be. Moreover, even if he were somehow able to impose his will, that doesn't mean the system will be unable to rehabilitate itself. We survived Wilson, for example, who was far more driven, far more dictatorial, and far smarter than Trump -- and had the support of most of the "right" sorts of people, which Trump will not.

The hyperbolists on both the Left and the Right have to decide if their opponent is a dithering, incompetent old man or the greatest, most profound threat to liberty in the history of ever.

I suspect that both are somewhere in between but come closer to the former than the latter.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:05 pm considering just how unappealing dt is. how unappealing must dt's opponent be if dt is polling higher.

Almost like there should have been a rule - call it a "supreme law of the land" maybe - designed to prevent an anti-American cult leader from holding office.
That's a comforting answer, but do you believe he could get reelected -- or even poll significantly higher than Biden -- based on the strength of the cultists alone?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:16 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:10 pm

That's a comforting answer, but do you believe he could get reelected -- or even poll significantly higher than Biden -- based on the strength of the cultists alone?
Depends on your definition of cultists!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:40 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm Biden should show up and debate an empty chair…
Clint Eastwood did that already. It was painfully bad acting then and would be again.
not sure what you’re smokin…that was some must-see tv
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

NBC calls Vermont for Haley.

Can't wait to hear Trump whine about that.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:51 pm NBC calls Vermont for Haley.

Can't wait to hear Trump whine about that.
She's not going to be a candidate in about 3 hours. As Hawk Harrelson would say, "She gone"!
My guess he is still whines about Vermont but I am more interested in hearing him verbally jack himself off. Actually, I'm not at all interested.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Haley's out but isn't going to endorse Trump...yet. She will. We see you, Nikki.

She won't?

I'll take the over, because if she wants to have any future in the Trump Cult, I mean, Republican party, she has to give Trump a reach around. No reach around, no political future. Just ask Lindsay, Lying Ted, Little Marco, et al. The list of craven Republican reach around cowards, is long.

This has legs, and it scales.

It scales.

Color me optimistic:
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm
japhy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm
He won't. He's an asshole.

But that's not to say that he'll be able to overcome the institutional barriers that prevent him from becoming the tyrant he wants to be. Moreover, even if he were somehow able to impose his will, that doesn't mean the system will be unable to rehabilitate itself. We survived Wilson, for example, who was far more driven, far more dictatorial, and far smarter than Trump -- and had the support of most of the "right" sorts of people, which Trump will not.
So you seem to be saying that you don't think he could jump the guardrails, but if he does, we can turn things around later?

If trumpty leaves NATO and Putin takes Ukraine, parts of Poland and other insignificant parts of Europe in his mission to reclaim the "Ancient Russian State" how long do you think it might take to rehabilitate that?

If the trumpty were to win and declare martial law in 2028 and call off elections, how long to rehabilitate you figure?

I didn't think a political figure would ever lose an election in the US and foment a violent insurrection and direct the crowd to take over the US Capital and stop the peaceful transfer of power, but it happened. We still haven't rehabilitated that. Until the majority of rubepublican voters admit it was a coup attempt and admit their cult god-king trumpty is lying about losing the election I will not consider that "rehabilitated". Four years later he is still repeating the lie and sane conservatives are leaving office to distance themselves from the mess because they think things get worse in November and they want no culpability. How long before the conservative party is rehabilitated from being the conspiracy party?

I didn't think a politician could lose an election, attempt a coup and then run for office again and stand a realistic chance of getting elected with the support of a "conservative law and order party". How long do you figure for that rehabilitation to take?

I never thought I would see a political party turn conspiratorial and undermine our healthcare system and medical care. And here we are four years later and Floriduh is telling the folks they can git vaccinated if you want, but if you want to restart measles as a national health menace that is your right. A serious blow to the nation health and healthcare is being dealt by the rubepublican party, how long you figure to rehabilitate that?

No matter the outcome of the election I believe the rubes will get violent after the election.

As long as Biden is the Commander in Chief, he will use the military to squelch it and try to return things to order. We know what trumpty does when violence occurs and he holds power. He will foment it and keep the military on the sidelines if his minions are winning.

Will it all get rehabilitated?

Probably, but at what cost in both human and economic terms?

And you never answered my question, who would you vote for if your only choices were to vote for insane clown trumpty or grandpa, and why?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.