F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: F the NCAA

Post by DeletedUser »

You've got the basketball coach making 10mil a year and the football coach making 7mil a year....but if the players are allowed to make money off the court/field it's a big problem?

If being paid doesn't take the passion and meaningfulness out of it for the coaches, why is it assumed it does so for the players?

Self ain't coaching at KU for free out of the goodness of his heart.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think coaches should be paid in that range either because I don’t think this much money should be in college basketball.

I wouldn’t restrict a college from paying someone that much ( like a top notch professor ) but by the NCAA or whatever organization not pursuing giant TV contacts and schools limited on huge endorsement deals, the funds to pay them would be minimized.

Yes I support restricting the ever so flawless free market here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Our coaching staff would look like Jeremy Case, Brady Morningstar, and Sherron Collins.

They'd be here because they love the school.

Self is here because it's his job. His school is Oklahoma State.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Great coaches coached here before money was the main driver.

Kansas would still be a destination school.

Good professors get jobs at schools that aren’t their Alma maters.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What’s next on the leap to overwrought conclusions mat?

No players would play?
No fans could watch?
No fans would watch?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:23 am What’s next on the leap to overwrought conclusions mat?
You've been doing it with Hunter....
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think I’m the only KU fan who doesn’t like him.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:34 am I don’t think I’m the only KU fan who doesn’t like him.
And you're absolutely entitled to dislike whoever you want.

I 100% think you're justified for not liking him for the money comments prior to the season. I cringed too.

I think you're now inventing other reasons that you couldn't possibly know by only watching games (most of them anyway) on TV...things like "doesn't try hard", "plays only for himself", "only here for the money".....those are unjustified and frankly unfair criticisms for a player that the coaching staff and players have nothing negative to say about. In fact, they've all said the opposite and seem to like having him here. Our coaching staff has never tolerated that type of behavior and I don't think Self would ever allow himself to get big boy'd by a player, no matter how good (and HD isn't the best we've had by a longshot). Self controls that locker room and always has.

And most importantly, I'd think, especially for a "college" guy, Hunter really seems to love being at KU playing inside AFH and living in Lawrence. He's polite and engaging with the fans. Stays out of trouble.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Doesn’t try hard is clear in moments.
Watch the games.

The others sure I am just guessing/gathering/assuming based on his comments, actions and interviews on and off the court.
I don’t think they are far fetched in any way ie just a tiny hop to a conclusion.

I’d be willing to bet we funneled him at the very minimum one million dollars to play here.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think he tries hard and wants to win. That's clear to me.

He could have gotten a million dollars a year (he's actually getting 2 iirc) just about anywhere he wanted to go. He chose KU because he wants to win a national championship, play home games in the best environment in CBB, and play for the best coach in CBB.

Seems like a no brainer.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:04 am I think he tries hard and wants to win. That's clear to me.

He could have gotten a million dollars a year (he's actually getting 2 iirc) just about anywhere he wanted to go. He chose KU because he wants to win a national championship, play home games in the best environment in CBB, and play for the best coach in CBB.

Seems like a no brainer.
I think he tries hard sometimes but stands stationary too much on offense and makes very little effort to go after rebounds that aren't coming down right where he is.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He's slow....I'm not sure what you're expecting here. He's got 2 games with 20rebs this year. He's not nearly talented enough to half ass his way to one of the best rebounding seasons at KU in the last 40 years.

Now do Kj....who is a surprisingly bad rebounder for someone with his size and athleticism.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KJs effort is clearly more than Hunters.
He’s just not nearly as skilled ( and tall ).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Kj is fast and bouncy. He does cool flexes after dunks/blocks.

Hunter is slow and can't jump. He stares at his right hand when he makes right hand shots.

(Kj plays really hard, no denying it, but it's easier to see it in a guy who is fast and bouncy)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I just dunno how a dood like Hunter could get that much NIL money but not spend one penny of it on some ink.

No wonder he plays soft
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

in Nick Saban talking about retirement he says that, he was having a difficult time getting excited for the following season because, even though he thought they had a great team with a great chance lined up, when he went to talk to players about the upcoming year "70-80%" of the players only wanted to discuss what he had for them with NIL deals and money, and not about their offseason improvements or roles or anything related to the actual upcoming season.

"the game is gone" he says...

who could've predicted such a thing.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:20 pm in Nick Saban talking about retirement he says that, he was having a difficult time getting excited for the following season because, even though he thought they had a great team with a great chance lined up, when he went to talk to players about the upcoming year "70-80%" of the players only wanted to discuss what he had for them with NIL deals and money, and not about their offseason improvements or roles or anything related to the actual upcoming season.

"the game is gone" he says...

who could've predicted such a thing.
https://twitter.com/CFBRep/status/1765439581560725817

“I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class.”

“… and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff…”

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?”

“So I’m saying to myself, maybe this doesn’t work anymore”
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hm.
I wonder if maybe the greatest coach in college football is on to something.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If I were friends with a guy who has made (and was free to make) generational wealth by way of a system in which an entire segment of people who had a hand in generating the revenue supporting that wealth were restricted from negotiating a piece of it...I would tell him that he is probably not the right vehicle for the message.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well sure.
But I also don't think he's lying when he says this:

"70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?"

That's shitty.