B12 2024

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: B12 2024

Post by pdub »

If you’re supposed to be great at attacking the rim that shouldn’t matter. You should still be able to do it.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:41 pm If you’re supposed to be great at attacking the rim that shouldn’t matter. You should still be able to do it.
Also, this team plays with great spacing even if we only have a 3 shooters on the floor most of the time. Almost always 4 out.

I think the idea that this team doesn't creat spacing is false. We just don't have guys able to take advantage of the spacing we create.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Your boi Harris has gotten better at it as of late.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:14 pm But you're right it isn't unrealistic to hope a top 25 recruit could make an impact. Depends on the recruit and situation tho.

A raw but athletic guard is going to have a hard time making a big impact on an older team in an older conference like the big 12 though
So, you tell us not to think about rankings. I assume you would also throw prep highlight videos out, too?

I ask because what has he done, on the floor at Kansas, that makes you sure that he is "athletic"? You have also said "raw athlete" - I assume you mean that he is at least a plus athlete in comparison to the level of competition.

This is another place I get major Elijah vibes from him. There is a massive difference between being athletic and playing athletic...and Elmarko has put very little on tape (one transition dunk?) that would support a conclusion that he plays athletic.

As we have said - I'm not at all writing him off as a good player in the future. It just concerns me, a LOT, that he has barely even shown flashes. Despite tons of clock and wide open opportunity to assert himself.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:22 am Your boi Harris has gotten better at it as of late.
He's gotta keep shooting that floater. For sure.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get upset when he misses layups but i'd rather him attack on occasion than be predictable ( pass it ) from the perimeter.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am I get upset when he misses layups but i'd rather him attack on occasion than be predictable ( pass it ) from the perimeter.
Agree.

In this same line of thinking, next year, Kj is going to have to shoot from the perimeter some. Even if only 20ish 3s on the entire year and he only makes 4 of them. Just so that a pump fake even seems remotely possible to be a shot.

Right now if he pump faked a good defender would laugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:17 am I get upset when he misses layups but i'd rather him attack on occasion than be predictable ( pass it ) from the perimeter.
It's also critical to maximizing what Hunter is good at/useful for. Teams play zone principles on Hunter, and Harris being willing to shoot floaters will cause Hunter's guy to step up. Harris does have lots of clever ways to get short passes through to Hunter, and those will be there more in this case.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:23 am
Agree.

In this same line of thinking, next year, Kj is going to have to shoot from the perimeter some. Even if only 20ish 3s on the entire year and he only makes 4 of them. Just so that a pump fake even seems remotely possible to be a shot.

Right now if he pump faked a good defender would laugh.
That, or Bill is gonna have to swallow hard and let Hunter shoot it (and KJ is going to HAVE to rebound it better). I know this is far from the ideal time to suggest that.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

By driving and threatening defenders to think he'll go for a layup or floater it will also draw off ball guys in - generally it just causes enough chaos and yes, he's very good at getting the ball to dudes that become open in that process, whether it's McCullar/Furphy on the wing or a driving KJ ready for a lob.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:31 am By driving and threatening defenders to think he'll go for a layup or floater it will also draw off ball guys in - generally it just causes enough chaos and yes, he's very good at getting the ball to dudes that become open in that process, whether it's McCullar/Furphy on the wing or a driving KJ ready for a lob.
Agreed on all.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I wouldn't say dajuan is attacking the rim. He's always had a good feel for the pick and roll. He's just taking what the defense gives him. Defenses have been trying to cut off the pass so the big aren't getting easy looks off the pick and roll, and dajuan has done a great job of hitting that little floater in the lane
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Elmarko is a plus athlete, that's why he was a top 30 recruit. Raw athlete meaning his athleticism and potential are there buy his skills still need some polish and are a bit raw

Fish you didn't think EJ played athletic? I agree elmarko gives off some EJ vibes. I made that comparison before the season, very similar prospects. EJ barely played as a freshman, we were loaded that year. But tyshawn played a lot as a freshman, and I see similarities between elmarko and him too. Erratic play at times but flashes potential. Freshman go through a learning curve, and that's what elmarko is doing
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:36 am Elmarko is a plus athlete, that's why he was a top 30 recruit. Raw athlete meaning his athleticism and potential are there buy his skills still need some polish and are a bit raw

Fish you didn't think EJ played athletic? I agree elmarko gives off some EJ vibes. I made that comparison before the season, very similar prospects. EJ barely played as a freshman, we were loaded that year. But tyshawn played a lot as a freshman, and I see similarities between elmarko and him too. Erratic play at times but flashes potential. Freshman go through a learning curve, and that's what elmarko is doing
I do not think Elijah played to his athleticism, no.

And the Tyshawn thing is in the eye of the beholder I guess - I do not recall a single instance this year of Jackson flashing the sort of speed and burst that was routine for Ty, even as a freshman.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Fish if you don't think elmarko is athletic, then how do you find him to be such a big disappointment?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Wait. Wut?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm also confused on that one.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:07 am Fish if you don't think elmarko is athletic, then how do you find him to be such a big disappointment?
I will say this: if Elmarko is only as athletic as this year's tape, then I'm not sure his ceiling is even Elijah's best season.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

From the other thread, but...

“I probably feel like it’s going to come down to, ‘Can we play our best when it counts the most?’“ he said. “And before I’d say, ‘No, we’ve got to play our best every day in order to get to where we can play our best when it counts.’ “Does that make sense?”

Sure. But as I type this I’m still thinking … who are you and what did you do with Bill Self?

“It’s a little bit of a pivot,” he said, smiling, and later adding, “I actually think in some ways my health scare has helped with my perspective on how I need to coach moving forward with the new times. I really do."

Interesting in regard to the previous comments that the fans care about the Big 12 regular season standings race more than the team....and then also when reflecting on how the team has seemed totally unfocused some nights.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Remember that game @ top 5 OU where Tyshawn Taylor dominated?
I do.

If you pieced together all of Elmarko's best plays this season maybe you get something close to that one game.