WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: WELCOME HUNTER DICKINSON

Post by jfish26 »

I think the point has to do with spacing.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Weird screenshot/scenario to show it imo.

They're playing what looks to be a match up zone. HD just caught the ball so they collapse on him a bit. And since they're really good at defense they can still get out and contest shooters.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Ah.
Yes, they're collapsing on Hunter.
This is when, if you're Dajuan, you recognize this, and be the outlet he needs and, if you're Hunter, pass it out at the right moment.

And then if you're Dajuan you already have your next pass prepped ( or be prepped to shoot it if they don't close fast enough ) for an open shooter which we'd likely miss anyways.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:00 pm Weird screenshot/scenario to show it imo.

They're playing what looks to be a match up zone. HD just caught the ball so they collapse on him a bit. And since they're really good at defense they can still get out and contest shooters.
I think what chaps my ass the most about Houston and Baylor is that we used to be athletic, and they just remind me of what that looks like.

We have one top-shelf athlete.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Illy will go all "bUt LoOk AT TCU" but we had two last season who transferred.
In theory Elmarko is supposed to one of those guys as well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 pm Illy will go all "bUt LoOk AT TCU" but we had two last season who transferred.
And maybe in real life he will be, some day.

But we are somehow unathletic AND unskilled. Really a nice place to be.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:12 pm Illy will go all "bUt LoOk AT TCU" but we had two last season who transferred.
Udeh and who?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Kansas should be getting multiple top 20 recruits each season while Self is still here. Duke has 4 or 5 top 30 players next year.

We aren't getting the top guys and that's a problem.

This seasons result falls on the GM in my opinion. We knew what we had in Kj and DH. KM improved. HD did what he always does (which is average almost 20 and 10). I am fine with the gamble on trading Udeh/Zuby for HD, but when the result is 4-6 seed then the non loyalty doesn't sit as well with me.

Talent trumps coaching ability a lot of the time. When the talent is equal the coaching advantage can shine. But we are just not as talented as the top 10-15 teams.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:35 pm
Udeh and who?
Rice.

Duh.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:38 pm Kansas should be getting multiple top 20 recruits each season while Self is still here. Duke has 4 or 5 top 30 players next year.

This seasons result falls on the GM in my opinion. We knew what we had in Kj and DH. KM improved. HD did what he always does (which is average almost 20 and 10). I am fine with the gamble on trading Udeh/Zuby for HD, but when the result is 4-6 seed then the non loyalty doesn't sit as well with me.

Talent trumps coaching ability a lot of the time. When the talent is equal the coaching advantage can shine. But we are just not as talented as the top 10-15 teams.
I wonder about a few things.

* Is our recruiting lag from the FBI stuff manifesting in us getting "last pick" in bands of guys? For example, are Thompson/Rice/Jackson the leftovers in the top-20 set?

* Did Bill maybe learn the wrong lessons from what Frank and Devonte became?

* Are we struggling to get top-end guards because everyone knows we're going to play Harris 34+ mpg?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:35 pm
Udeh and who?
Rice AND Zuby.
Zuby's more athletic than most guys on our current roster.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Self's done great with the dudes not in the top 10 - the 30's through 100's of the world.
He just needs to retain them over time.
We've gotten 3 top 10 recruiting classes in a row - we've just whiffed ( or they haven't met expectations ) on guys like Rice and Elmarko.

This year, Self gambled with Hunter probably thinking he'd be able to convince Udeh to return.
He was wrong.
He gambled with Timberlake thinking his game would translate.
He was also wrong.

I think his best teams are built from those 'leftovers' you're talking about.
Jalen was one of those leftovers. Ochai was. Braun too. Lightfoot. Wasn't DMac around 30 as well?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:45 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:38 pm Kansas should be getting multiple top 20 recruits each season while Self is still here. Duke has 4 or 5 top 30 players next year.

I wonder about a few things.

* Is our recruiting lag from the FBI stuff manifesting in us getting "last pick" in bands of guys? For example, are Thompson/Rice/Jackson the leftovers in the top-20 set?

* Did Bill maybe learn the wrong lessons from what Frank and Devonte became?

* Are we struggling to get top-end guards because everyone knows we're going to play Harris 34+ mpg?
1. Possibly. How does Calipari do it? Look at all the awesome pros that have been coming through UK. Who is KUs best NBA guard? Devonte, who hardly plays?

2. Possibly. It's not nearly as easy to replicate as we hoped.

3. Absolutely. Kj too.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Imagine if hunter leaves after this season. And we lost zuby and udeh for their career just to finish 6th in the big 12
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:58 pm Imagine if hunter leaves after this season. And we lost zuby and udeh for their career just to finish 6th in the big 12
I'm more worried he might return at this point and cost us Bidunga.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:55 pm Self's done great with the dudes not in the top 10 - the 30's through 100's of the world.
He just needs to retain them over time.
We've gotten 3 top 10 recruiting classes in a row - we've just whiffed ( or they haven't met expectations ) on guys like Rice and Elmarko.

Self gambled with Hunter probably thinking he'd be able to convince Udeh to return.
He was wrong.
He gambled with Timberlake thinking his game would translate.
He was also wrong.

I think his best teams are built from those 'leftovers' you're talking about.
Jalen was one of those leftovers. Ochai was. Braun too. Lightfoot.
I think I'm agreeing with you more than disagreeing!

It seems to me like the very WORST thing to go for right now is high school guys who are not good enough to be all-league-type guys as freshmen, but have high enough profiles that they are not interested in the long game.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We do need to get more athletic. The recruits coming in will help. But dajuan will still be here playing 30+
And our worst shooter KJ will be here too. So our weaknesses won't magically disappear
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm
randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:58 pm Imagine if hunter leaves after this season. And we lost zuby and udeh for their career just to finish 6th in the big 12
Bidunga is another 1 year rental.

I'd rather have udeh and zuby as juniors next year (and seniors) than another hear of hunter
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We need to get more athletic, but we need to bring them in as freshman and develop them.

Guess who's freshman stats these are:

10 mpg, 3.3 pts, 1.5 assists
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:01 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:59 pm
Bidunga is another 1 year rental.

I'd rather have udeh and zuby as juniors next year (and seniors) than another hear of hunter
Hard to say. Probably two paths to the same destination. Zuby is an undersized 5. Udeh is offensively limited on a team with 2 other offensively limited starters.

I'm fine losing Zuby. I'd have liked to see what Udeh could become.

We needed HD this year, so i get the thinking behind it.