Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Recruiting

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:30 am
randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:11 am Our portal needs: a big 6'8ish wing that can shoot and play multiple positions

And a dynamic quick scoring guard to take the pressure of dajuan who shoots well from 3
We might get that 6'8" wing from the recruiting class vs. the portal.

https://247sports.com/player/liam-mcneeley-46103856/
Good point. I forgot about him. And we were just talking about him reopening his recruitment the other day.

We were one of his 2 finalists. And he decommited from the other. Seems like he should be ours to lose
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:20 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 am Our needs: a clear leader on the court, a group that doesn't seem to fold to adversity, shooter(s), proper defensive positioning (bbiq?), less me and more us from it's best player.

That's a start.
My opinion - and it's just that of course - is that things like these are largely solved by winning, which is solved by talent (which we don't have) and coaching (which we do).
You can dismiss this if you need to, but I haven't liked HD from day one (before, as I didn't like him when he was at UM). I disliked the Morris twins for similar but different reasons when they were here. I'm not a fan of me first players, which he seems to be most of the time. Sure, without him this season, we'd probably be under .500 (weird), but I'd rather pull the bandaid off than have to look at the scar of his time here as something I celebrated.

That said, sure, get your shoulder back to 100% so you can jump six inches off court, dominate inside offensively at 7'2" and get us to the second weekend.
This is sort of what I'm saying though - we've had lots and lots and lots of guys that fans have found unlikeable for various reasons. When we're winning, those things have tended to recede to the background.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing or any particular place in between - just saying that you hear a hell of a lot less about this stuff (across all sports) on teams that win, which suggests (to me anyway) that the root issue isn't a chemistry/effort/heart issue, but a winning issue.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:34 am JFish thinks HD is unfairly judged.
But there's a pattern of dislike...smoke/fire deal.
I would also like to pull the 'diamond earring'd put my arm between my legs when I hit my first three after shooting sub 30% from there in conference even though we're loosing by 8 points' bandaid off.
We come to different basketball-character judgments on the same set of facts. That's fine.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:44 am Here’s where I am with Dajuan, and this prob applies to other doods too:

If we need to complement Dajuan with superior talents 2-5 including/and (and/or?) another guard to make sure a Dajuan-led team isn’t 2024 levels of suck…why even bother building around a dood like that in the first place?
We aren't building around him though.

We built around HD and KM, you understand that right? Last year it was JW and Gradey. The year before Och and DMac.

You understand that, right?

DH is the complimentary player. The program guy. Not the center piece we are building around.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 am

My opinion - and it's just that of course - is that things like these are largely solved by winning, which is solved by talent (which we don't have) and coaching (which we do).
You can dismiss this if you need to, but I haven't liked HD from day one (before, as I didn't like him when he was at UM). I disliked the Morris twins for similar but different reasons when they were here. I'm not a fan of me first players, which he seems to be most of the time. Sure, without him this season, we'd probably be under .500 (weird), but I'd rather pull the bandaid off than have to look at the scar of his time here as something I celebrated.

That said, sure, get your shoulder back to 100% so you can jump six inches off court, dominate inside offensively at 7'2" and get us to the second weekend.
This is sort of what I'm saying though - we've had lots and lots and lots of guys that fans have found unlikeable for various reasons. When we're winning, those things have tended to recede to the background.

I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing or any particular place in between - just saying that you hear a hell of a lot less about this stuff (across all sports) on teams that win, which suggests (to me anyway) that the root issue isn't a chemistry/effort/heart issue, but a winning issue.
This just isn't true for everyone.
Chiefs were winning but I couldn't stand Tyreek.
I understood how incredible of a player he was and that he made our team better but now that he's gone, liking the Chiefs is that much easier.

Or you don't have to go outside of KUBB to be honest or that far in the past.
Case in point, Remy.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

in this new era. now that they are employees rather than my classmates. liking them is no longer important. just win.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:18 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:48 am

This just isn't true for everyone.
Chiefs were winning but I couldn't stand Tyreek.
I understood how incredible of a player he was and that he made our team better but now that he's gone, liking the Chiefs is that much easier.

Or you don't have to go outside of KUBB to be honest or that far in the past.
Case in point, Remy.
I hear you - I'm not saying that winning automatically makes every player likeable to every fan. I would believe you if you said that you would not like Hunter if we went 40-0 with him averaging a triple-double. And I would not try to convince you otherwise, because likeability is personal and subjective.

But this gets to the macro stuff we were talking about yesterday.

My opinion is that the fanbase temperature on Hunter's shit would not be nearly as high as it is, generally, if in fact we were winning.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...because likeability is personal and subjective."

Certainly.
But there should easily be clarity on why someone would go, "I don't like Hunter Dickinson" in 2024 compared to say "I like Ochai Agbaji" after 2021 before the title ( despite oof 2019, cheated out of 2020 and oof 2021 ).

Not really a leap here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:55 pm "...because likeability is personal and subjective."

Certainly.
But there should easily be clarity on why someone would go, "I don't like Hunter Dickinson" in 2024 compared to say "I like Ochai Agbaji" after 2021 before the title ( despite oof 2019, cheated out of 2020 and oof 2021 ).

Not really a leap here.
Ok, but that's not the right comparison.

On the floor, Christian Braun did even more of Hunter's shit than Hunter does. But he is not reviled by our own fans the way that Hunter is - despite Hunter even being objectively the much better player.

There are distinguishing characteristics, some of which make sense to me (from Kansas; multiple years) and some of which do not.

But I think - and there's no way of saying whether I'm right or wrong or somewhere in the middle - the BIGGEST one is that we won with Christian, and we suck (relatively speaking) with Hunter.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Ousdahl said CB had low ceiling.

Still makes me laugh every time I watch CB in the NBA playing well.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:18 pm Ousdahl said CB had low ceiling.

Still makes me laugh.
I was talking with, we'll say, an old friend about this stuff.

From his first few games on the floor, CB had what Elmarko - at least in terms of what he's shown here on the floor - does not. His instincts (BBIQ) were just off the goddamn charts, and it was IMMEDIATELY obvious.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Still makes me laugh.

From his first few games on the floor, CB had what Elmarko - at least in terms of what he's shown here on the floor - does not. His instincts (BBIQ) were just off the goddamn charts, and it was IMMEDIATELY obvious.
Agree.

And a career 38% 3pt shooter.

His competitive streak is allowing him to excel in the NBA.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Lol good call ous
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

We need our next Och and CB in a hurry.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:31 pm

Lol good call ous
How quickly we forget how meh sophomore CB was

spot-up shooter but not even a great shooter and prone to playing timid to boot…meh

Credit him and the program, as his development surprised everyone.

I’m well-documented as having eating that crauw by now. And it was delish.

But leave it to illy to never let it go anyway.

Don’t feed the troll, randy.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Timid? He averaged 5 3pt attempts per game.

God, you're even worse at this than me. And if anyone is the troll it's you Q.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Still makes me laugh.

Agree.

And a career 38% 3pt shooter.

His competitive streak is allowing him to excel in the NBA.
He's also SO much bigger and more athletic than maybe some think/know.

It would not surprise me at all if he ends up being the third- or even second-most-impactful NBA guy over Bill's time here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm On the floor, Christian Braun did even more of Hunter's shit than Hunter does. But he is not reviled by our own fans the way that Hunter is - despite Hunter even being objectively the much better player.

If you read his lips he’s saying, “I’m a good keed with no ink and I looove being a Certified Amateur”

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm On the floor, Christian Braun did even more of Hunter's shit than Hunter does. But he is not reviled by our own fans the way that Hunter is - despite Hunter even being objectively the much better player.

If you read his lips he’s saying, “I’m a good keed with no ink and I looove being a Certified Amateur”

Like a marksman, ous.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh god.

I forgot about that shit.

And to think, Qusdahl’s avatar was Haunkey Taunk with a quiver