Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:54 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:51 am Counterpoint:

Dems are banking on winning back the presidency on still little more than “not Trump” sentiments, rather than just offering some something to actually win back progressive voters instead of alienate, tho their margins for victory remain razor-thin either way
I don't think the math supports this counterpoint.
you all know I'm not a Biden fan.

But.....the dems need to do whatever possible to secure the middle ground vote to avoid a real real wreck. This, includes, not running and pushing extremely liberal platforms for the time being.

I dont want Biden, but, it cannot be Trump.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:40 pm

Dems are banking on winning back the presidency on still little more than “not Trump” sentiments, rather than just offering some something to actually win back progressive voters instead of alienate, tho their margins for victory remain razor-thin either way

But.....the dems need to do whatever possible to secure the middle ground vote to avoid a real real wreck. This, includes, not running and pushing extremely liberal platforms for the time being.

Correct. This is time time for fairways, greens and two-putts.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i agree with that

the last thing we need right now is for the dems to move further left and risk alienating moderates that lean right
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:49 pm

i agree with that

the last thing we need right now is for the dems to move further left and risk alienating moderates that lean right
Left and Right are nonsense terms. They have no meaning whatsoever.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Once again, the craziest part of being RaDiCaLiZeD!!! is DCHawk1 suddenly making more sense.

To discuss trad’s post anyway tho, I wonder if there is some trade-off between alienating right-leaning moderates, versus potentially picking up left-leaning types who otherwise think Biden’s not progressive enough…shrug
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Biden is center right really. Always has been. But the country is pretty much there too
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Can't thank Trump enough for recently reminding us of something we already know about republicans, but that bears reminding Americans of just as we start the 2024 campaign season in earnest. That is, same as it ever was, republicans want to "reform", i.e., "cut", "entitlements" like Social Security and Medicare.

You go Donny! Have at it. Hopefully Republican plans to dismantle the social safety net Americans rely on will be on the mind of every voter by November. I know Democrats will do their part to make that so.

March 14, 2024 Mitchell Minute-Donald Trump is calling for cutting Social Security. This is generally, and misleadingly, referred to as entitlements. Social Security is not an entitlement. It is a forced savings program

And, why wouldn't Republicans want to run on cutting "entitlements"? After all, cutting government benefits for Americans is right up there with "fiscal responsibility", "fiscal conservatism", and "tax cuts for the wealthy pay for themselves" in the "conservative" Republican policy pantheon.

Let's hope this is as successful for you as GW Bush deciding that, fresh off winning the 2004 general, he decided he'd go all Republican on Social Security:

The 2004 election gave President George W. Bush a second term in office and expanded Republican majorities in both houses of Congress. So soon afterward, he pledged to spend the “political capital” he said he’d earned on a longtime conservative priority — the partial privatization of Social Security.

The effort failed. Despite those sizable GOP majorities and the president’s own barnstorming across the country to sell his proposal, creating private accounts for Social Security became so toxic that it was never brought to a vote in either the House or Senate.

Rather than ushering in a new era of Republican dominance, the fight rejuvenated the Democratic Party’s fortunes and helped pave the way to its takeover of Congress in the 2006 midterms...
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:09 pm Left and Right are nonsense terms. They have no meaning whatsoever.
But it's a simplistic way for us to crudely delineate a message board, so god damnit just give us that, MKay!
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:53 pm Can't thank Trump enough for recently reminding us of something we already know about republicans, but that bears reminding Americans of just as we start the 2024 campaign season in earnest. That is, same as it ever was, republicans want to "reform", i.e., "cut", "entitlements" like Social Security and Medicare.

You go Donny! Have at it. Hopefully Republican plans to dismantle the social safety net Americans rely on will be on the mind of every voter by November. I know Democrats will do their part to make that so.

March 14, 2024 Mitchell Minute-Donald Trump is calling for cutting Social Security. This is generally, and misleadingly, referred to as entitlements. Social Security is not an entitlement. It is a forced savings program

And, why wouldn't Republicans want to run on cutting "entitlements"? After all, cutting government benefits for Americans is right up there with "fiscal responsibility", "fiscal conservatism", and "tax cuts for the wealthy pay for themselves" in the "conservative" Republican policy pantheon.

Let's hope this is as successful for you as GW Bush deciding that, fresh off winning the 2004 general, he decided he'd go all Republican on Social Security:

The 2004 election gave President George W. Bush a second term in office and expanded Republican majorities in both houses of Congress. So soon afterward, he pledged to spend the “political capital” he said he’d earned on a longtime conservative priority — the partial privatization of Social Security.

The effort failed. Despite those sizable GOP majorities and the president’s own barnstorming across the country to sell his proposal, creating private accounts for Social Security became so toxic that it was never brought to a vote in either the House or Senate.

Rather than ushering in a new era of Republican dominance, the fight rejuvenated the Democratic Party’s fortunes and helped pave the way to its takeover of Congress in the 2006 midterms...
Trumpty Dumpty gonna repeal Obumercare on day one of his second term and replace it with a beautiful new wonderful healthcare plan that everyone is going to love as much as they love their trumpty.

no, really, he has a plan this time, just elect him, and he will show it to you this time, and his tax returns
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:04 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:09 pm Left and Right are nonsense terms. They have no meaning whatsoever.
But it's a simplistic way for us to crudely delineate a message board, so god damnit just give us that, MKay!
I would also say that this is sort of beltway-speak; "left" and "right" very clearly carry a whole lot of meaning with people who are, ah, not so insane as to discuss nuanced matters of history, policy and strategy on offshoots of college basketball message boards.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:11 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:53 pm Can't thank Trump enough for recently reminding us of something we already know about republicans, but that bears reminding Americans of just as we start the 2024 campaign season in earnest. That is, same as it ever was, republicans want to "reform", i.e., "cut", "entitlements" like Social Security and Medicare.

Trumpty Dumpty gonna repeal Obumercare on day one of his second term and replace it with a beautiful new wonderful healthcare plan that everyone is going to love as much as they love their trumpty.

no, really, he has a plan this time, just elect him, and he will show it to you this time, and his tax returns
I mean, the other examples we have of how Trump would like to do things (see Orban) is that Trump would replace Obamacare with a forced choice of private options that are barely-indirectly cash transfers to insiders/affiliates/cronies.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Wait until you see his infrastructure plan!

He is a builder genius nobody knows infrastructure like he does people say he is a genius he will rebuild this country like no one ever has he will do it bigly.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:10 am

I mean, the other examples we have of how Trump would like to do things (see Orban) is that Trump would replace Obamacare with a forced choice of private options that are barely-indirectly cash transfers to insiders/affiliates/cronies.
Just like TikTok
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 am Wait until you see his infrastructure plan!

He is a builder genius nobody knows infrastructure like he does people say he is a genius he will rebuild this country like no one ever has he will do it bigly.
I assume the biggest part of his "Inferstructure" plan is to have 300' bronze statues of himself erected all around the country.

I vote for the Rambo-style NFT Trump. Maybe badass-cowboy Trump west of the Mississippi.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am

Just like TikTok
Exactly!

And one might reasonably say both sides do things like this. I would say that there are arguments for the government to provide certain services that the market is capable of providing. I would absolutely say there tend to be better arguments that the market should provide those services.

The worst of both worlds, though, is the semi-opaque shadow-land in between those things.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait…isn’t that pretty much how DC described Obamacare anyway?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The Lincoln Project:

The only wall Trump and his cronies have built is the one in Congress.

Not American
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

VP Harris makes blatant, urgent, wanton, desperate attempt to increase favorability rating among Hey Boomers:

(From Seeking Alpha)

Marijuana stocks led by U.S. Multi-State Operators gained on Friday after Vice President Kamala Harris urged the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to immediately reschedule cannabis to a lower-risk category, indicating the U.S. government’s latest attempt to back the move.

During a meeting with cannabis pardon recipients at the White House on Friday, Harris said it was “absurd” and “patently unfair” that cannabis is classified in the Schedule I category alongside heroin under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

“I cannot emphasize enough that they need to get to it as quickly as possible,” Marijuana Moment reported, quoting Harris, who was referring to the ongoing DEA review on cannabis scheduling.

“This issue is stark when one considers the fact that on the schedule currently, marijuana is considered as dangerous as heroin," Haris noted.

"Marijuana is considered as dangerous as heroin and more dangerous than fentanyl,” she said, adding, “Which is absurd. Not to mention patently unfair.”

...Harris is the latest member of the Biden administration to offer support for cannabis rescheduling. At a congressional hearing on Thursday, Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra defended his department’s recommendation to reschedule marijuana in August...
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pm VP Harris makes blatant, urgent, wanton, desperate attempt to increase favorability rating among Hey Boomers:

“I cannot emphasize enough that they need to get to it as quickly as possible,” Marijuana Moment reported, quoting Harris, who was referring to the ongoing DEA review on cannabis scheduling.
For fucks sake, NOW it's important to do something the voters want.

NOW I am fine with them leaving it illegal in KS, NE, IA and OK so that those suckers can pay taxes here in MO.