NCAA Tournament 2024

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:15 am One thing DMac is better than Hunter at by a good amount?
Footwork.

Hunter doesn't really need as much footwork to do his thing and he's a much better finisher when close but DMac learned a lot while here and got extremely good in that department. Watch that first play and just his feet. First the movement to shake Manek enough off the ball. After the rebound he slides his foot in order not to travel then gets that bounce to establish position again, pivots to space through his defenders, and takes the final step he needs for the shot.

Then watch the second shot v Manek. Gets pushed off the ball and he knows he's down to his last step so keeps his pivot foot locked but takes the steps he needs to push Manek off a bit, does so, takes that dribble and sinks it.

I could watch that forever.
When he was really humming, he looked and played so much like Wayne.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:31 am Harris might never have recovered.
Thank god it didn't change the outcome.
I would just say - for better or worse, he's still pretty much the same guy, so I'm not sure "recovered" works. He's had other brain meltdowns close/late.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:15 am One thing DMac is better than Hunter at by a good amount?
Footwork.

Hunter doesn't really need as much footwork to do his thing and he's a much better finisher when close but DMac learned a lot while here and got extremely good in that department. Watch that first play and just his feet. First the movement to shake Manek enough off the ball. After the rebound he slides his foot in order not to travel then gets that bounce to establish position again, pivots to space through his defenders, and takes the final step he needs for the shot.

Then watch the second shot v Manek. Gets pushed off the ball and he knows he's down to his last step so keeps his pivot foot locked but takes the steps he needs to push Manek off a bit, does so, takes that dribble and sinks it.

I could watch that forever.
When he was really humming, he looked and played so much like Wayne.
Absolutely.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:31 am Harris might never have recovered.
Thank god it didn't change the outcome.
I would just say - for better or worse, he's still pretty much the same guy, so I'm not sure "recovered" works. He's had other brain meltdowns close/late.
Maybe it doesn't happen but I think that sticks with him and his struggles get fixated with that play and he's not even honorable mention B12 good.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s cringey

(not in a “wrong” way, but in a “plausible and all-too-possible” way)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ramjet wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:50 pm https://www2.kusports.com/sports/colleg ... -american/

HD 2nd team AA
If his name was, say, David McCormack, not sure he would’ve got this.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

1st:
Zach Edey
Jamal Sheed
RJ Davis
Tristen Newton
Dalton Knecht

2nd:
DaRon Holmes
Tyler Kolek
Mark Sears
Hunter Dickin$on
Kyle Flopowski

Kevin McCullar is 2 points shy of the 3rd team.
I think Cam Spencer kinda got jobbed - not even honorable mention?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe I take my last post back. Filipowski was not nearly as good as Hunter.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Here's Joey:

"By the numbers
Eye test rank: 20
Résumé rating: 12
NCAA seed list: 14
Joey Brackets says ...

The Jayhawks are almost always a threat to win it all, especially under two-time national championship Coach Self. But this year doesn't look like one of those years. The surprising lack of bench production -- they got 11.9 PPG from non-starters (336th in Division I) during the regular season -- will cause the Jayhawks' season to end before the promised land. Add in the uncertainty surrounding their two stars, and we're picking Samford to end it quickly.
Final field rank: 33"

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... redictions
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this would be the definitive word. he is the expert of all experts.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:59 pm 1st:
Zach Edey
Jamal Sheed
RJ Davis
Tristen Newton
Dalton Knecht

2nd:
DaRon Holmes
Tyler Kolek
Mark Sears
Hunter Dickin$on
Kyle Flopowski

Kevin McCullar is 2 points shy of the 3rd team.
I think Cam Spencer kinda got jobbed - not even honorable mention?
I think KM gets 3rd team without the injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think KM gets 2nd team without the injury and HD gets 3rd.
And we're a 2 seed.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, DMac came up big for us when we needed it most. I give him that, and think that should be his legacy, as fish’s “latter” comment suggests.

But man, for so much of the rest of his career, Dave was Bad Dave. Like holy shit what a spaz! I mean how many MOP candidates in April were not even playable for so much of November-Januarys, plural. We’d have to ride with Mitch Lightfoot, or freshy KJ. Even some Jalen at the 5, tho I don’t remember exactly when. I also recall Ochai jumping center for a certain overtime or something, but don’t remember the details of that specific sitch.

But yeah, again, thank the lord Dave was Good Dave when we needed him most. Let’s remember that.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i gotta give you credit. holding off for as long as you did.

it was probably giving you an ulcer.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 pm i gotta give you credit. holding off for as long as you did.

🤣
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 pm i gotta give you credit. holding off for as long as you did.

🤣
I also chuckled at this.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Maybe my views are impacted by the current situation/environment, but I sure have a hard time justifying the desire to bash players like DMac, Kj, and DH.

Of course they have limitations. That's why they're 4/5 year players. They aren't future NBA players. But they're the guys who hold the program together instead of a team ending up in the NIT whenever the next batch of one and dones and 1 year transfer mercenaries misses or goes elsewhere.

I just can't sit around bashing them for not being future NBA caliber players. Their limitations allow them to serve a unique purposes for the Kansas program.

(And this coming from someone who wants more NBA caliber players at KU....but that can't be all we have).
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

This is college basketball. There's a reason that there are so many overseas leagues and teams. It's hard to get in the NBA and even harder to stay in the NBA. There are a lot of really good players that don't make it (and some who surprise us by having a solid NBA career). The vast majority of college (KU) players never play in the NBA.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 pm I think KM gets 2nd team without the injury and HD gets 3rd.
And we're a 2 seed.
Yeah. KM was playing really high level basketball pre injury. You could argue him being first team