Sat Shack

You Love It.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Sat Shack

Post by TDub »

I dont like the new policy. sports gambling shouldn't be tied to my buckets dammit!
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

guess I'll wander home and have my own bucket.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

remember when this place wasn't all about the money?

imma start calling it Hunters Hotel Lounge.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hey Hunter here.
You can TOTALLY get a bucket!
Just scan this menu here, download the app and sign up ( just provide us your email, don't worry we won't spam you!!! ) to be one of the Huntsmen!

Then open the app and look for SURGE PRICING.
That'll show you a totally new way of paying for your bucket -- very innovative, everyone will love it, it's the only way the bar industry can move forward in the future just accept it or die.

Enjoy!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

By the way, all our buckets are designed by Nike.
This week.
Until next week we might make a deal with Adidas.

Also unfortunately, we also made a deal with InBev so no more Coors in those buckets.
You're gonna love it though!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I had all of 2 Coors lites last night.

And yet, hungover.

Getting old sucks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real tho if anyone wants to go watch the game tomorrow at Stockman’s Bar in North Park, I’ll drive us there…
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 am Hey Hunter here.
You can TOTALLY get a bucket!
Just scan this menu here, download the app and sign up ( just provide us your email, don't worry we won't spam you!!! ) to be one of the Huntsmen!

Then open the app and look for SURGE PRICING.
That'll show you a totally new way of paying for your bucket -- very innovative, everyone will love it, it's the only way the bar industry can move forward in the future just accept it or die.

Enjoy!
sorry can't hear you from the tailgate
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You'll be back.
And if you aren't, we don't care, BWW Chad loves this place!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

somberly walking by the shack, glancing through the dark windows, frat dorks and bww Chad's smacking each other's backs and chugging Jaeger bombs.

Taking my case of coors, ill drive to the hills and watch the game on my phone from the bed of the pickup I suppose.

stupid HHL.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:33 pm somberly walking by the shack, glancing through the dark windows, frat dorks and bww Chad's smacking each other's backs and chugging Jaeger bombs.

Taking my case of coors, ill drive to the hills and watch the game on my phone from the bed of the pickup I suppose.

stupid HHL.
I'll grab a couple of buckets, pack up the Weber and meet you there.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:17 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:33 pm somberly walking by the shack, glancing through the dark windows, frat dorks and bww Chad's smacking each other's backs and chugging Jaeger bombs.

stupid HHL.
I'll grab a couple of buckets, pack up the Weber and meet you there.
sweet! got one heckuva game goin on over here
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man.

Been a rough week in the valley.

Everybody’s pretty shook up about that local kid who tried to jump on his skis over the highway on the pass and ended up faceplanting on the pavement instead. RIP.

There was also some 12yo local kid who drowned on the other side of the pass when the truck he was in slid down some ridge and into the creek. The crazy thing is, how small the creek is there. But somehow the truck flipped over against a boulder that pinned the cab in a worst case kinda way so that apparently there was just enough submersion to get the kid. RIP.

And then another local yet committed suicide and that one’s really got me rattled. I knew the guy. We were fellow TU bored members and I skied with him and knew/worked with his wife too. Guess she went to yoga class one morning and came back home and found him hanging.

I always thought he was such a badass, too - crazy athlete and marathon runner and skier and everything. Was always the loudest dood in the room, in a congenial way. Never even suspected he struggled with mental health, but here we are.

RIP Roger.

Now gimme a bucket. I gotta pour one out.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sorry for your loss, Oussie. That sucks.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bucket on the house.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks.

You guys are sweethearts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man.

as if there weren't already enough eulogies around here.

But this one's at least a little more on topic.

Fare thee well, Winter Park Pub.

(I was gonna say RIP Winter Park Pub, but it doesn't quite work yet, considering their last day is Saturday)

It is/soon-to-be was the goofy yellow A-Frame building on the prime corner of real estate in downtown Winter Park.

And, now that I think about it, might be the last true dive in Winter Park, too.

It's also prob the last architecture in Winter Park with any real character to it. The big thick old growth ceiling beams, the uneven brick floor, the rickety saloon-style swinging doors, the bathroom that used to be a coat closet.

It used to be the last place in WP you could get a cheap beer too - $2 Buds on draft - but that's since gone away. (in favor of the like $8 IPAs, yuck and yuck)

I saw the Mahomes win the first of his Super Bowls, though I barely remember it. And, though I was only buying $2 Buds, I managed to rack up a tab over $100 that night, and was buying drinks for every single mutherfocker there.

At the time, I thought it might be the only chance I ever had at seeing the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, so fuck yea I did. (and, hell yea to the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl becoming kind of a thing since!)

Also watched plenty of KU games there too. The one that particularly stands out is the 2012 Elite 8. Some dumbass Tarheel was sitting at the hi-top next to us, and was raising a lot of cane and talking shit throughout. I kept it civil, until we went to that junk box-and-1 D and roi shit his pants and we closed on a run.

At that point, and a good (only) $20 or so bucks worth of Buds later, I decided to begin some WOOOOO! ing, and Ric Flair strutted in my KU gear past the hi-top, only to find ol' Tarheel had quietly exited already...like a true roiboi.

The long time bartender Blake initially comes across as a douche, but if you got him going on the foosball table, he could actually be pretty cool. Or a hockey game! The place had plenty of TVs, tho you'd usually have to ask to watch hoops, cuz they'd all have either NHL or college hockey on instead. Used to always have the cutest waitresses in town, but that too had become a little hit or miss.

The food, in true dive form, had always been hit or miss. The pizza was an interesting deep dish, with a biscuity sort of crust. The burgers and pub fare could be good, or could taste like they'd been scraped off the bottom of the fry basket.

Killer happy hour, but whether it was offered on any given night could be hit or miss. One time I went in there asking for the happy hour nachos, and the waitress was like, "umm are we even doing that today? Let me check the chalkbored, brb."

The best food, tho, was the pub's Taco Tuesday. $1 apiece, which remained that way even until the last one last night. Beef, chicken, pork, or bean. I'd normally get 2 of each. To this day, I've never been able to tell the difference between the chicken and the pork, but who cares, it's a buck.

They used to have hundreds of different salsas and hot sauces lined up and down the bar for patrons to enjoy as well, though covid did away with that.

Last night was weird tho. It was way more packed even by Taco Tuesday standards, everybody was getting all sentimental about the place, and all the badass ski decor - antique skis and trail signs and such - had already been removed. The walls were all bare, as if the vibe wasn't already off enough.

I guess the owner finally sold the real estate? Or something. Rumor has it, they're gonna knock the joint down and put up a big fancy hotel. Or some condos. Or some other sterile faux-rustic cookie cutter development that'll inevitably suck.

This one's actually kinda messing with my head too. It's like watching the last of the broken-in charm of the old Winter Park I've loved finally give way to the new money bullshit.

I think it's finally time to move. No, for real this time!

But first, trying to decide whether to go to the big farewell party Saturday. The pros are, I know it's gonna be a shitshow. The cons are, I know it's gonna be a shitshow.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

RIP
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As a bar owner of one of the last remaining Shacks, I'll pour a silver bullet out for you today Winter Park.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah!

So Saturday night, hot Bumble date. She's blonde, and while usually a bright person otherwise, still self-admittedly prone to some ridiculously blonde moments.

I even tell her it's closing night at the pub, but don't really wanna bother with it unless she'd wanna go be immersed in some big drunk sentimental dive bar farewell. She doesn't. OK cool, let's just do Thai food.

As we're driving by that goofy yellow building with the name very clearly labeled on big block letter signage out front, she has a big blonde spelling bee (I'll spell phonetically so you can get it here now):

"Whoa, there's a bar named The Pube?"