Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:17 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:15 pm
TDub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:58 pm

so we're gonna run this thing back with the same starting 5 sans Timberlake as the one we put on the floor today?

cool, thats....awesome. Can't wait.
I am hoping that KJ is relegated to being an energy guy off the bench where he belongs. He is just not skilled enough at scoring or rebounding to be getting this volume of minutes. Plus, we have zero clue whether or not we'll find a shooter in the portal who is good enough to be a starter or not or whether we'll land Liam McNeeley in the next few weeks which I think we will.
Don't kid yourself, KJ is locked in as a starter
I don't know that I believe that yet. If Self has a better option, I think he'll use it. He's not as stubborn as fans think he is. Hopefully KU has a better option and we get to find out. Maybe Bidunga turns to be so good he can't be kept on the bench, who knows.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:51 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm KJ is the starter next year, but you're crazy if you don't think he was a huge part of this teams problem on offense. An undersized forward who can't shoot isn't something I want to recruit again.

KJ desperately needs to develop a shot or he will be a major liability again next year. Let's hope he can.
^^^
I'm sorry. I could not disagree more.

KJ is a MAN. Other schools would build a team on him.

We NEED him. That's that.

imo
He's a beast athletically. But depending how you play him he's either an undersized big, or a forward who can't shoot. Either way it's a deficiency that other teams can pretty easily exploit.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

We just disagree. I think he's one of the critical players on a team that is a tad flawed.

He is the SHI*, in my estimation
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:17 pm We just disagree. I think he's one of the critical players on a team that is a tad flawed.

He is a really good college player with a glaring weakness. Shooting is so so so important in modern basketball, and his inability to shoot makes it much easier for teams to game plan for us. Posing no threat from distance allows teams to pack it in and change the way they guard us as a team

But his defensive versatility is great. I love his toughness and athleticism. He's developed into a good scorer in the paint.

I honestly think KJ has the perfect skillset to play center, we tried that the previous year. But unfortunately he is like 6'6 with a short wingspan.

If only KJ was 6'10, and we could recruit another 6'8 shooter
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KJ has a 98.5 percent chance starting for us next season.

Only way that doesn’t happen if some power 5 three point shooting forward stud transfers to us.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:23 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:17 pm We just disagree. I think he's one of the critical players on a team that is a tad flawed.

He is a really good college player with a glaring weakness. Shooting is so so so important in modern basketball, and his inability to shoot makes it much easier for teams to game plan for us. Posing no threat from distance allows teams to pack it in and change the way they guard us as a team

But his defensive versatility is great. I love his toughness and athleticism. He's developed into a good scorer in the paint.

I honestly think KJ has the perfect skillset to play center, we tried that the previous year. But unfortunately he is like 6'6 with a short wingspan.

I could detail the reasons I disagree, but I get it. We're not in the same place on this topic, man.

I think he's a fu*kin' baller.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:28 pm

I could detail the reasons I disagree, but I get it. We're not in the same place on this topic, man.

^^^

He is a baller.

If only he could shoot.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KJ is a baller and there is a lot I love about his game. But shooting is really important, and KJ can't do that. And everyone we play knows KJ can't shoot, so they guard us different. And it stagnates our whole offense the way they pack it in. Our offense sucked this season

If KJ magically develops a 3 point jump shot, he would be one of the best forwards in basketball next season
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:44 pm KJ is a baller and there is a lot I love about his game. But shooting is really important, and KJ can't do that. And everyone we play knows KJ can't shoot, so they guard us different. And it stagnates our whole offense the way they pack it in. Our offense sucked this season

If KJ magically develops a 3 point jump shot, he would be one of the best forwards in basketball next season
ok

I disagee. peace. rcjhku!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Kj is a good enough passer that he can be part of a good offense....but you damn sure better have 3 or 4 good offensive players around him that can score/shoot so that he can be a facilitator and situational spot scorer on dunks/lops/slips.

Maybe, DH and Kj together doesn't work great with Kj at the 4. This is really the first year we've done that for the majority of the time and it didn't work very well.

It was hidden a little better with Kj as the 5 last year, but even then, we complained plenty about the issues it creates to play Kj as a 5 long term.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:51 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 pm
randylahey wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:30 pm KJ is the starter next year, but you're crazy if you don't think he was a huge part of this teams problem on offense. An undersized forward who can't shoot isn't something I want to recruit again.

KJ desperately needs to develop a shot or he will be a major liability again next year. Let's hope he can.
^^^
I'm sorry. I could not disagree more.

KJ is a MAN. Other schools would build a team on him.

We NEED him. That's that.

imo
I agree
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:26 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:52 pm
mjl2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:48 pm Self never figured out how to play defense with Hunter in the game.

Also, I prefer Juan having a center he can throw lobs to.

I think we'd have been better this year with Udeh/Ejiofor.
I am totally flummoxed to hear people say that. Not necessarily because Hunter is the best Big ever, but especially since neither Udeh/Ejiofor distinguished themselves this year.
Yeah, but I would like to think they would have progressed better under Self and staff.
Exactly
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Absolutely that.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Hunter puts up such empty numbers tho because how little he impacts winning. We brought in and instant 18-11 guy and got worse, think about that

He's mobility is so poor that he made our team defense significantly worse. Like a weak link in a chain
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:36 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:28 pm

^^^

He is a baller.

If only he could shoot.
Or rebound.

The lack of shooting isn't as big of a deal as his lack of defensive rebounding IMO.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:01 am Hunter puts up such empty numbers tho because how little he impacts winning.
lots of us have been saying this for months
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:26 pm KJ has a 98.5 percent chance starting for us next season.

Only way that doesn’t happen if some power 5 three point shooting forward stud transfers to us.
Correct. Which is exactly what you need to be elite these days. Some big 6'8/6'9 athletic shooter

Which we probably have no chance of recruiting, because of having KJ
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 am
randylahey wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:01 am Hunter puts up such empty numbers tho because how little he impacts winning.
Deedrick
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:14 am
It has become something of a gotcha, for the anti-Hunter set, to suggest that he shares a lot of similarities with Dedric. Including this particular trope.

I think, if you have one guy averaging something like 33-35 combined points/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals, and you have a disappointing team season with that guy, maybe before you lay the blame on that guy for not "impacting winning" enough, you need to first look to what's around that guy.

I agree that the similarities between '19 and '24 cannot be ignored. I, personally, would not use "the best guy didn't impact winning enough" as the headliner.