2024/2025 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
DeletedUser

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:46 pm
I'd be curious what 3 problems Christian Braun saw. Cause you know he ain't blaming his boy dajuan
My guess:

Shooting
Depth
Defense
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

The portal is gross.
Drake was building something really nice the last few years. They would be top 25 if they returned everyone. They lost their entire team to the portal today.
James Madison was really fun to watch this year, looks like they could be building something. Lost their best players to the portal the last couple days.

The result is more individualistic play and less of the kind of thing that makes me love college ball, seeing players grow together over a few seasons. This is just dumb.

Every decent mid major player is in the portal.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm The portal is gross.
Drake was building something really nice the last few years. They would be top 25 if they returned everyone. They lost their entire team to the portal today.
James Madison was really fun to watch this year, looks like they could be building something. Lost their best players to the portal the last couple days.

The result is more individualistic play and less of the kind of thing that makes me love college ball, seeing players grow together over a few seasons. This is just dumb.

Facts. Good for the individual, horrible for the game
Last edited by randylahey on Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:09 pm The portal is gross.

every bit of it sucks. Drains the blood and joy from the game. Vampiristic. It will end up killing the game if it's not somehow wrangled.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

can you guys give examples of this "more individualistic play?"

and this year pretty sure the majority of our minutes went to doods who have spent 2-3 seasons playing together.

about all that...I suppose this is the sort of NIL mercenary rhetoric you guys must hate, right:
“Especially after this loss, I definitely want to come back … because I’ve been losing the first weekend the last two years...So I just want to come back next year and do my thing.”
Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... rylink=cpy
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 am can you guys give examples of this "more individualistic play?"

and this year pretty sure the majority of our minutes went to doods who have spent 2-3 seasons playing together.

about all that...I suppose this is the sort of NIL mercenary rhetoric you guys must hate, right:
“Especially after this loss, I definitely want to come back … because I’ve been losing the first weekend the last two years...So I just want to come back next year and do my thing.”
Surprised to see Kj say "i don't know yet" about returning to KU. I'd have liked to hear the question/answer for some context. Seems unlikely he'd leave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The longer this offseason drags out the more likely I think maybe Self does blow up the roster, and maybe we don’t get both Dajuan and KJ back after all. Is it Late Night yet?

Oh shit, it’s been like 4 days lol sigh.

But for the record, I as a fan would really would like Dajuan and KJ both back…

…for 10-15 minutes a game.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yeah I was pretty surprised to read that top, but that wasn't a lot of context.

How shocking would that be in KJ entered the portal?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

On one hand, considering he’s a program guy multi year starter and Self luvs him, pretty shocking indeed.

On the other hand, considering he hasn’t necessarily developed at the same trajectory as so many other program guys, and considering we’ve already seen him in bigger and bigger roles and it’s resulting in us getting our ass more and more kicked, maybe not that shocking at all.

I still think the bigger need is a guard other teams actually have to guard, and the bigger hot seat really might be Dajuan.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I want KJ back. I'm not sure why he would leave, there's not gonna be a better gig in college than a 3rd year starter and fan favorite at Kansas. And he's developed a ton, not sure how you aren't seeing that?

But I wish he'd develop a perimeter jumpshot
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes, while he has developed, his big holes in his game coming into this year were rebounding and a J, and this year showed little if anything toward filling those holes.

If he WOULD leave, it may be more than anything cuz Self things he can find a better piece, which is a pretty sharp double edged sword in itself.

But I think KJ might bring more overall than Dajuan. Or, maybe it’s just that I think it’d be easier to build a contender lineup with a defense-and-dunks tweener as the glue guy, more than a non-shooting non-slashing mistake-prone PG.

And if we have both back again, again, that’s just a lot of glue guys, which seems sticky.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Is dajuan a mistake prone pg ous?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I don't anticipate KJ leaving, nor do I want him to. But it wouldn't be the end of the world, we might even be able to contruct a more functional lineup without him. We might be able to find a better shooter in the portal, but I don't think there is a better player than KJ at his position in the portal.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Best case scenario is KJ comes back with an improved jumpshot. I'd guarantee since the season ended KJ been in the lab working on his shot. All I'm hoping for is he can hit maybe 37ish percent of wide open 3s next year. Enough that teams will come out and guard him
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:29 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:25 am can you guys give examples of this "more individualistic play?"

Surprised to see Kj say "i don't know yet" about returning to KU. I'd have liked to hear the question/answer for some context. Seems unlikely he'd leave.
I'm not sure what exactly KJ would be looking for. I think what probably happened is that the staff told the group not to say anything committal in the moment, and that's what we're hearing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If KJ is ousted, fuck this program.
Burn it to the ground.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:29 am

Wasn't this asked of him nearly immediately after that game? Don't take anything from comments directly after the last loss of the year.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 am Best case scenario is KJ comes back with an improved jumpshot. I'd guarantee since the season ended KJ been in the lab working on his shot. All I'm hoping for is he can hit maybe 37ish percent of wide open 3s next year. Enough that teams will come out and guard him
If KU is counting on KJ developing a 3 point shot then it has failed miserably at recruiting. KJ just needs to do better at what he already does decently. He isn't going to develop a three point shot over the summer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Right.
You don't go from not shooting any 3's to 37%.
Furphy and McCullar didn't even shoot 37% this season.