2024/2025 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:35 am I feel, as an early advocate for this new age of basketball, JFish is scrambling to explain to those who said they'd hate it and listed the reasons why they'd hate it that everything is ok.

But all the reasons why they listed why they'd hate it have come true and JFish can't deny that at all.
And it's not just those who said they'd hate it who hate it -- it's those who liked it before, didn't think about it and now hate it.

Look my man, your crusade can be over.
It fucking sucks, you can't convince me it doesn't, nor do you have to keep trying.
You can like it all you want but it's all going the way we expected.
You are again letting your negativity over certain things dominate your discussion of something that is only a certain amount ABOUT those certain things.

This is a conversation that has been had about players every single year. Particularly players like KJ, at programs like Kansas.

The only "new age" things that are different are (1) the player does not need to factor in a forced year of sitting out into his decision, and (2) the player needs to consider in his decision the possibility of getting recruited over by way of inbound transfers (not just high school kids and juco kids and lower-division kids).

Your opinion - tell me if I'm misstating - is that the general rule should be that players should be forced to sit out if they transfer. I do not share that opinion as to the general rule (especially when it comes to guys who have been in college basketball for three years - I would absolutely support, if structured properly, transferring being progressively more restricted the less time you have in).

But I'm not, especially in this conversation, trying to win you or anyone else over on THAT conversation. I'm trying to leave THAT conversation to the side, but you keep bringing it in by saying it's a KJ transfer out that would break the back for you.

That whole conversation is, in my opinion, only incremental to the conversation we're having here about KJ - which is, what SHOULD be promised on the basis of tenure? And what SHOULD KJ do, if Bill will not make promises on the basis of tenure?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:46 am This is all dependent on if KJ actually means what he said, as in he doesn't actually know if he'll be here, and not just bummed:

I'm trying to think of a junior who transferred from KU after being a 2 year starter.
Has that happened because it doesn't ring a bell.
Only time a junior who started multiple years left kansas was for the NBA.

I can however, think of example of a junior who started the previous 2 years losing his starting spot as a senior tho. Can anyone name that player
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's OK JFish, I wasn't a fan of Jar Jar Binks, you can put posters of him on your wall.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:44 am Russ was clearly talking about whether guys like Rush would go to the NBA.
That's one helluva reach Mr. Fantastic.

JFish is like the guy who tries to convince fans of the original Star Wars that the newer ones are just as good.
I merely posted it because you asked for the quote in the corresponding article. We should not be surprised that Russ didn't put himself in the category of guys considering an early entry. We should also not be surprised that Russ didn't openly consider transferring, because he'd already been through the crucible on that decision, by that time.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:30 am
I still think the bigger need is a guard other teams actually have to guard, and the bigger hot seat really might be Dajuan.
Think or hope? Seems more like hope to me.

I don't think DH is on the hot seat at all.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Russell Robinson stats

Jr: 28 mpg, 7 pts, 2 ast
Sr: 28 mpg, 7 pts, 2 ast

Fish what were you saying about his role changing????
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

maybe KJ already knows his role will be limited because of the HD/Bidunga duo

if he’s scared of the Bidunga competition and maybe having a somewhat reduced role, that’s on him
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:30 am
I still think the bigger need is a guard other teams actually have to guard, and the bigger hot seat really might be Dajuan.
Think or hope? Seems more like hope to me.

I don't think DH is on the hot seat at all.
I don't think so, either. I also think he would not have better (for him) options.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:04 pm Russell Robinson stats

Jr: 28 mpg, 7 pts, 2 ast
Sr: 28 mpg, 7 pts, 2 ast

Fish what were you saying about his role changing????
His minutes, shots and assists all went down. He was not on the floor in winning time in a few instances.

It's incremental, absolutely. But it's real.

The reduction in role/stats for KJ might be more substantial than Russell's, but that is because Russell played on a loaded team his junior year. KJ did not.

I would not be upset at all if you told me right now that KJ would be in the 24-28mpg range. I would have questions if you told me he would be back around this year's 33.5 mark.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 am Best case scenario is KJ comes back with an improved jumpshot. I'd guarantee since the season ended KJ been in the lab working on his shot. All I'm hoping for is he can hit maybe 37ish percent of wide open 3s next year. Enough that teams will come out and guard him
37% seems unrealistic.

I'd take 25% and 20 made 3s for the season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:11 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:39 am Best case scenario is KJ comes back with an improved jumpshot. I'd guarantee since the season ended KJ been in the lab working on his shot. All I'm hoping for is he can hit maybe 37ish percent of wide open 3s next year. Enough that teams will come out and guard him
37% seems unrealistic.

I'd take 25% and 20 made 3s for the season.
If he only gets to 25%, not sure we can have him shooting 2/game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think KJ is a stud and I want him to contend for B12POY next season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm hoping hunter KJ and dajuan all see a decreased role next year. All 3 will start and play big minutes, but hopefully we have some depth and can rest them more

We need to get a bigtime scoring guard in the portal, and a forward with size who can shoot it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:23 pm I think KJ is a stud and I want him to contend for B12POY next season.
Me too.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

All I can think of reading Kj's comment is Self's comment about how he'd already been thinking about next season's roster for a month.

I think it's possible Kj is getting offered quite a bit of money to go somewhere else and he has things to consider financially.

I didn't think Kj leaving was even remotely possible.

I figured his answer would be a lot more like DHs was.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i can justify something in the 30-40-50 thou range, tops. anything greater than that is nonsense.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I figured his answer would be a lot more like DHs was."

It absolutely should be.
This is the problem here.
We think the way the game has changed over the last few years has anything to do with a 3 year letterman, 2 year starter wondering if he'll need to transfer ( if he actually means what he's saying ) - the instance of which would be the first ever at Kansas at least that I can recall ( roi and Self ).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:23 pm I think KJ is a stud and I want him to contend for B12POY next season.
Means hunter ain't here if that happens, and KJ is scoring and rebounding the ball at a much higher level, and we are back on top the big 12
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the only way we are back on top of the BIG 12 next season. is if hd comes back for a second season in Lawrence.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm "I figured his answer would be a lot more like DHs was."

It absolutely should be.
This is the problem here.
We think the way the game has changed over the last few years has anything to do with a 3 year letterman, 2 year starter wondering if he'll need to transfer ( if he actually means what he's saying ) - the instance of which would be the first ever at Kansas at least that I can recall ( roi and Self ).
Maybe Kj remembers last season when it's possible several or his friends were forced out. Obviously we don't know. But I think it's realistic to wonder if Cam Clemence Yesufu and Pettiford (maybe Rice too) were forced out. Kj obviously better than them and played much bigger roles.

But it makes you wonder....what kind of culture is Self creating?

We've got him saying he's been thinking about the roster for a month.

We've got Kj with a weird "idk" answer.

We've got Elmarko declaring publicly he wants to stay, which may have been him begging for another year via the press.

Just feels like a weird dynamic going on.