2024/2025 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:10 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm "I figured his answer would be a lot more like DHs was."

It absolutely should be.
This is the problem here.
We think the way the game has changed over the last few years has anything to do with a 3 year letterman, 2 year starter wondering if he'll need to transfer ( if he actually means what he's saying ) - the instance of which would be the first ever at Kansas at least that I can recall ( roi and Self ).
Maybe Kj remembers last season when it's possible several or his friends were forced out. Obviously we don't know. But I think it's realistic to wonder if Cam Clemence Yesufu and Pettiford (maybe Rice too) were forced out. Kj obviously better than them and played much bigger roles.

But it makes you wonder....what kind of culture is Self creating?

We've got him saying he's been thinking about the roster for a month.

We've got Kj with a weird "idk" answer.

We've got Elmarko declaring publicly he wants to stay, which may have been him begging for another year via the press.

Just feels like a weird dynamic going on.
I agree.
But I don't think it is unique to just our program.
As mjl pointed out, imagine being Drake.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I think Self has sort of lost his way in some instances when it comes to player/roster decisions. It's getting him away from what he's actually good at which is developing players within his offensive/defensive system.

He's never been as great at plug and play 1-2 year guys. He's had his share of success with them too, but his biggest home runs haven't come from that bucket.

I don't think our best player should be a 1 year plug and play guy. Whether that's NBA caliber 1 and done or an experienced portal player.

He's only got a handful of classes that he's definitely going to be around to see from start to finish, he needs to figure this out in a hurry or the end of his career isn't going to be as enjoyable as the last 20 years have been prior to this season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think KJ was just feeling down about the loss. He ain't going nowhere. He's exactly the kind of guy you wanna keep around in the program for the culture
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd rather be worse ( on paper ) and keep Dajuan and KJ at KU.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

"so that their good players can get poached"

is exactly why the drakes of the world exist in this day and age. nobody goes to drake in 2024 hoping to
still be there in 2025.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this landscape is still so new to everyone, and every coach (Self included) is still finding the best way to navigate it for their own program

i’m sure Self doesn’t want to “get left behind”, so to speak, but it may very well end up being the case that these short-term plug-and-play scenarios are inferior for his system. i can’t really blame him for trying, particularly given the scholarship situation

there’s a whole lot of knee-jerking around here, imo
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

now your eddie lampkins of the world. they are taking advantage in a different kind of way. they are hopping around from cool college town to cool college town. sucking up the freebies. fleecing the goofs. laughing at the man.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the bluebloods no longer have the shoe companies doing their bidding.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:10 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm "I figured his answer would be a lot more like DHs was."

It absolutely should be.
We think the way the game has changed over the last few years has anything to do with a 3 year letterman, 2 year starter wondering if he'll need to transfer ( if he actually means what he's saying ) - the instance of which would be the first ever at Kansas at least that I can recall ( roi and Self ).
Maybe Kj remembers last season when it's possible several or his friends were forced out. Obviously we don't know. But I think it's realistic to wonder if Cam Clemence Yesufu and Pettiford (maybe Rice too) were forced out. Kj obviously better than them and played much bigger roles.

But it makes you wonder....what kind of culture is Self creating?

We've got him saying he's been thinking about the roster for a month.

We've got Kj with a weird "idk" answer.

We've got Elmarko declaring publicly he wants to stay, which may have been him begging for another year via the press.

Just feels like a weird dynamic going on.
I agree with this. I do think this is a turbulent transitional period that will calm down. I think we will, before long, find ourselves in a place where movement is not nearly this wild.

I also think Bill is pulling his hair out a bit trying to figure out the best way to build a roster now. He’ll figure it out.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hey everyone, OK maaaybe the first movie wasn't as good with the pod racing and stuff but just WAIT til Annakin grows up - Hayden Christianson is playing him!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It absolutely should be.
Giddens and Tharpe are the closest I can think of.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Both of whom completely fucked up, so, no, not really.
If KJ gets in a knife fight this summer I will revisit the situation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno if Tharpe’s fuckup was that big a deal.

Self at least said it wasn’t.

The narrative at the time was senior Tharpe just lost his starting gig to sophomore Frank
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Obviously, we are aware and had it brought to our attention this weekend," Self said. "Certainly extremely disappointed with what transpired and the judgment that went along with it. To say anything else publicly would be something that would be inappropriate at this time. It will be handled internally. It will be addressed, and it will be handled internally."

"Tharpe drew Self's ire before the season when he played in an unauthorized summer league game, which resulted in a one-game suspension. After the season, he was seen with a partially nude woman in a photograph circulated on social media."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang.

And here I was thinking, a pair of tits in his face might be just what the doctor ordered for Dajuan.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:16 pm Both of whom completely fucked up, so, no, not really.
All I said was they’re the closest to the situation you describe.

I want KJ back. I would guess that KJ wants to be back, and that Self wants him back.

The question is whether there’s enough overlap between how each sees next year going, such that this remains the right fit.

The reason there are not a lot of great examples of outbound transfers of guys who have been here for a while is that, in almost every case, that overlap has been found.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:25 pm Dang.
Dang.

"I dunno if Tharpe’s fuckup was that big a deal.
Self at least said it wasn’t."

Another just making something up by Ousdahl.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:26 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:16 pm Both of whom completely fucked up, so, no, not really.
All I said was they’re the closest to the situation you describe.

I want KJ back. I would guess that KJ wants to be back, and that Self wants him back.

The question is whether there’s enough overlap between how each sees next year going, such that this remains the right fit.

The reason there are not a lot of great examples of outbound transfers of guys who have been here for a while is that, in almost every case, that overlap has been found.
You were talking about thinking something I said was comical yesterday?
Consider it pure comedy that you aren't linking NIL and the transfers associated with a situation like this ( again if KJ actually means he does not know ).
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

What if money and being closer to home are a better fit for his final year for his individual situation? I have no idea.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

JFC.

Sorry I don’t remember all the details of something that happened a decade ago.

But since you gotta be like that, just realize on-court-performance-wise Dajuan is about on par with Tharpe, far more so than he is on the good end of the list of lead guards Self has had at KU.

Def not making that one up!