Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:53 am "NFL teams are allowed to roll over any unused cap space from one season to the next. Clubs must tell the league they plan to roll over cap space by 4 p.m. ET on the day after their regular-season finale."
Gotcha. Wonder how the timing works exactly. Definitely a reason to keep some powder dry (although I would still be in favor of getting at least one more extension done this offseason).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Chiefs just signed this dude.

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Odds are against him but, I think for special teams, with the new format, they might as well kick the tires here.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Can’t hurt to try.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think his toughness as a runner in short yardage makes him valuable
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Pretty sure we did not restructure Mahomes to sit on Cap space. The Sneed trade was not official till yesterday so between now and the draft we should be adding FA's. I think Mike Danna should be signed pretty soon and then OT, WR, RB, CB veterans to short term contracts. I also think the Sneed 3rd is just ammo to move up this year. Either move up in the first or even better stay there and move up in the second.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The issue is that 3rd is worth less now than it will be next year so trading it this season would devalue it.
We might be able to move up 5 spots in the 1st round at best with that.

It was just a bad trade unless the Chiefs have more intel about his knees ( i'm sure he had to pass a physical before the trade though ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am The issue is that 3rd is worth less now than it will be next year so trading it this season would devalue it.

It was just a bad trade unless the Chiefs have more intel about his knees ( i'm sure he had to pass a physical before the trade though ).
Not sure what they were supposed to do, once they committed to the plan with Jones. With Sneed on the tag, even with the cap space freed up by the Mahomes restructure, they would barely have had room for a draft class, let alone things like rugby guy, Danna, some eventual releasees, etc.

Expectations for the trade return were probably somewhat out of whack. This was a monster contract for Sneed given his age and knee, and it’s not surprising that the price a team was willing to pay for the right to pay the contract was only a third.

A third which is higher than the comp pick he would have netted (which is not guaranteed to have happened anyway).

I get that it’s somewhat meh return, but in the context of the contract and other factors, it’s understandable and, to me, acceptable.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Fans thought Sneed's value as a trade chip was more than it was. It happens. Something is only as valuable as what you can get for it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

With the Mahomes restructure we would have had enough ( I think 7 million ) to sign a draft class and have about 3 million left over.

In this case, i'd ask Omenihu if he would rework his contract or possibly release him - that would save 7.4 million - and you'd have a bit over 10 million ( or say 7 if Omenihu reworked got us 4 of that 7.4 ) to work with then.

Probably no Danna but Donovan Smith on the table.

I think the odds of getting the comp pick are highish depending on the types of free agents we go after and our current roster. If Hollywood balls out, we might not be able to pay him so that'd be a comp pick to counter out one big FA signing.

I think there's good odds we'd have gotten a 3rd round comp for Sneed. I personally don't think that's worth it just to move up in the 3rd round, what, 20 spots for 1 year of a top 20 ( top 10? ) cornerback. Run it back with the best secondary in the NFL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am With the Mahomes restructure we would have had enough ( I think 7 million ) to sign a draft class and have about 3 million left over.

In this case, i'd ask Omenihu if he would rework his contract or possibly release him - that would save 7.4 million - and you'd have a bit over 10 million ( or say 7 if Omenihu reworked got us 4 of that 7.4 ) to work with then.

Probably no Danna but Donovan Smith on the table.

I think the odds of getting the comp pick are highish depending on the types of free agents we go after and our current roster. If Hollywood balls out, we might not be able to pay him so that'd be a comp pick to counter out one big FA signing.

I think there's good odds we'd have gotten a 3rd round comp for Sneed. I personally don't think that's worth it just to move up in the 3rd round, what, 20 spots for 1 year of a top 20 ( top 10? ) cornerback. Run it back with the best secondary in the NFL.
I think you're being overly optimistic about certainty of the comp pick, especially given age and the existing injury concern (and the possible disgruntlement that would come from not getting the bag).

I also would be somewhat surprised if we ended up using all of the picks we presently have, in the spots/years they're at. I think Veach needed both cap space (maybe to absorb a player?) and draft pick capital to move around the board.

Would I have liked more in return? Of course. But if this is what was available, then so be it, and (IMO) it's a worthwhile return in the bigger picture.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I think you're being overly optimistic about certainty of the comp pick"

I don't think I am.
Sneed just signed the 7th largest contract for active cornerbacks.
Comp pick placement is largely based on the contract with less weight on playing time and honors ( though I think Sneed would be fine on playing time ).

Seems to me that's a check in the box for a 3rd round comp.

Of note, the massive ( moranic ) overpay for Jawaan Taylor landed the Jags a 3rd round comp - and that contract is similar to the one Sneed just signed - and Jawaan Taylor shat the bed in his first season.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Here's Athletics take, they seem to agree ( I wouldn't give it an F - more like D+/C- ):

Chiefs trade grade: F
Not even Eric Stonestreet can find a rosy way to paint this one.
It’s understandable that the Chiefs couldn’t find room for Sneed on the books with a long-term deal, but he would have been more valuable to them on the roster during his franchise year.
It’s also likely he would have helped the Chiefs get a 2026 third-round compensatory pick if he walked in free agency a year from now. So the Chiefs gave up a season of Sneed for a better third-round pick a year earlier. That logic would work for some teams, but it doesn’t make as much sense for a perennial Super Bowl favorite amid a dynasty.

https://theathletic.com/5363650/2024/03 ... ns-chiefs/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

All well and good - but if the knee stops working, you paid $20mm for...nothing. Not on the field, not with a comp pick.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

AND, you can't trade a hypothetical comp pick now. Or trade an existing pick, knowing for sure that you've got a comp pick coming.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure.
And that's why I wouldn't give the trade an F ( instead a C-/D+ ).
If his knees are fine, well, then it's an F.
If his knee falls off next week, then it's an A.

"It was just a bad trade unless the Chiefs have more intel about his knees ( i'm sure he had to pass a physical before the trade though )."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm Sure.
And that's why I wouldn't give the trade an F ( instead a C-/D+ ).
If his knees are fine, well, then it's an F.
If his knee falls off next week, then it's an A.

"It was just a bad trade unless the Chiefs have more intel about his knees ( i'm sure he had to pass a physical before the trade though )."
I get what you're saying (and why you're blending the grade). But of course revisionist, hindsight grading isn't how this works - the grade itself depends on what the Chiefs know now. The grade will not change based on what happens next week.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes, that's why I'm giving it a C-/D+ with the likely scenario being the Chiefs know his knee is a concern but that may ultimately end up not being a problem in the upcoming seasons.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

pdub wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am The issue is that 3rd is worth less now than it will be next year so trading it this season would devalue it.

So the team that happen to decide to pay Sneed just so happens to not have a 3rd this year. Hence the switch from basically last to first in the 7th. Which is ammo to be used now instead of maybe getting some ammo next year.

The decision to not extend Sneed was basically done two years ago when we moved up and got Mcduffie and have drafted 7 db's in the last two years. There was just no way we were paying a 29 and 30 year old Sneed 20 million to play CB. So it wasn't really about what we were going to get it was more like was a team willing to pay Sneed what he wanted. I think the Titans made a mistake but hell they paid Rigley $92 million over 4 years and I think that was mistake.

So we got some draft ammo and are now $26 mill + under the cap. We going to spend that money.

So basically what they(the dumbass that gave us an F) were missing is the players we sign with the money.