Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by KUTradition »

Overdo everything immediately because the penalty for failure is too high and you can always back off…

and similarly, if you think you’re doing “enough” in a pandemic, odds aren’t in your favor
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 am you’ve definitely got a point about sensationalism selling (or getting clicks or whatever), but i’m kinda shocked at your response given everything that’s transpired over the past 5 years

the obvious but notable difference between natural disasters and pandemics, is that we have a pretty solid understanding of how pandemics arise (and how to get at reducing our susceptibility), and how to best mitigate their effects after their emergence

imo, the broader public needs to be aware of such things so we don’t elect people (again) that do things like dismantle the infrastructure intended to deal with such threats, or generally undermine our response and mitigation efforts

hope for the best, plan for the worst
I guess what I mean is, 99.999% of people that read that article can't do a damn thing one way or the other to change the trajectory of whatever may transpire.

Of course the scientist need to continue to work and be ahead of potential problems but it makes no sense for me or anyone else to be scared and panicked about disease X, which doesn't even exist yet and we have no way of knowing when it might, how it might be transmitted or what to do to prevent the spread of it....because it doesn't exist.

Theres nothing I can do to change the outcome of said, as of yet, fictious disease. So, worrying about it is undue at this point.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you can vote appropriately if you choose to prioritize such things
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Airborne viruses are only going to become more prevalent and more dangerous from this point on.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

viruses, fungi, marine toxins…

a warming climate = greater hospitability
Last edited by KUTradition on Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

blame china.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:18 am The first rule of responding to any real pandemic: Overdo everything immediately because the penalty for failure is too high and you can always back off, has likely been rendered impossible in the future thanks to Trump and Republicans.

But then, only the people who deserve it will die, according to Randy, so that's some consolation.
There is, or should be, a difference between how you approach your job when you take and oath or recite and ethics code wherein you state things such as "Hold paramount the safety, health, and welfare of the public."

It means you don't consider the economic considerations of your clients/sponsors/taxpayers first. First you consider the safety of the public.

Sometimes this means you will get threats of a lawsuit if you follow this code. Or you might get threats of destroying your professional reputation. Even threats or violence.

But if you don't follow this directive, someone ( or many someone's ) could die as result of your decision to act or not act. I have heard it described as, "err on the side of conservatism". Conservation of life. In engineering the phrase used when in doubt is, "hit it with a big stick". Make the column bigger, thicken up the wall, make the beam deeper.

If you haven't had to make these decisions before, it probably seems easy to call out Fauci for some decisions in hindsight. If you have had to make calls like this you would give the guy a pass. Knowing your decision might have cost someone their life we be hard to work through.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:38 pmblame china.
i blame stoopid
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:38 pmblame china.
I suppose that is one option.

Seems pretty iron clad.

Should definitely help.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Honestly, a really bad outbreak, that exclusively killed off the idiots who think they know more than scientists.........
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:52 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:18 am The first rule of responding to any real pandemic: Overdo everything immediately because the penalty for failure is too high and you can always back off, has likely been rendered impossible in the future thanks to Trump and Republicans.

But then, only the people who deserve it will die, according to Randy, so that's some consolation.
There is, or should be, a difference between how you approach your job when you take and oath or recite and ethics code wherein you state things such as "Hold paramount the safety, health, and welfare of the public."

It means you don't consider the economic considerations of your clients/sponsors/taxpayers first. First you consider the safety of the public.

Sometimes this means you will get threats of a lawsuit if you follow this code. Or you might get threats of destroying your professional reputation. Even threats or violence.

But if you don't follow this directive, someone ( or many someone's ) could die as result of your decision to act or not act. I have heard it described as, "err on the side of conservatism". Conservation of life. In engineering the phrase used when in doubt is, "hit it with a big stick". Make the column bigger, thicken up the wall, make the beam deeper.

If you haven't had to make these decisions before, it probably seems easy to call out Fauci for some decisions in hindsight. If you have had to make calls like this you would give the guy a pass. Knowing your decision might have cost someone their life we be hard to work through.
Once people become convinced there are no facts and no truth, reality becomes relative, previously valued virtues like experience or expertise in an area mean less and less, and everyone becomes an expert.

How could this have possibly happened?

Jul 24, 2018

At a Veterans of Foreign Wars Convention in Kansas City, Mo., on Tuesday, President Trump told veterans and guests that they shouldn't believe what they're reading about his administration or seeing on the news.

"Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening," Trump said. "Just stick with us, don't believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news."

Also...

I was in a hurry when I wrote this, but it's pretty pathetic:

"The first rule of responding to any real pandemic:

Of course, waiting until you know the pandemic is "real" is a luxury you can't afford. It might work out OK to wait, but you can't. The penalty for failure is potentially too great, and you can always back off once you're sure.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Much like I never saw a case of tetany or diphtheria while I was practicing medicine because vaccines for both diseases had been invented before I was even born, the vast majority of physicians in practice today have never, ever seen a case of measles. And because most physicians have never dealt with measles before, they're much more likely to miss the diagnosis if a patient shows up with it, which will certainly add to the risk it will spread.* Because:

"You only know what you've seen,

and you only see what you know."

However that might be about to change.

From the American Academy of Family Physicians:

CDC Warns Clinicians To Be Alert For Measles Cases Following Several Outbreaks

USA Today (1/26, Cuevas) reported, “U.S. health officials are warning clinicians to be alert for cases of measles following several outbreaks, largely among children who were eligible for the vaccine but did not receive it.” In an email, the CDC on Thursday “urged vigilance among health [clinicians] across the U.S. following reports of nearly two dozen cases of the preventable virus since December.” In particular, clinicians “should look for patients with rash and fever, symptoms of measles, and pay attention to patients who have recently traveled internationally, the alert said.”

ABC News (1/27, Kekatos, Benadjaoud) reported, “Between Dec. 1, 2023, and Jan. 23, 2024, there have been 23 confirmed cases of measles including seven cases from international travelers and two outbreaks with five or more infections each, according to an email sent [last] week.”

*Unless something has changed, of all the infectious diseases, measles is the most highly contagious disease there is. There are any number of infectious diseases where you can be around people who have them, like TB, Covid, mumps, chicken pox, ebola, etc., and you won't necessarily catch it. But, if you are in close proximity to someone with measles, and especially in a contained space like a classroom, daycare center, office, etc., if you're not immune to measles, i.e., vaccinated against it, there's a very high probability you will contract it. Of course, that's because it's transmitted thru the air, by "aerosol", like Covid, and doesn't require more direct contact, like HIV, ebola, etc.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

nbc.com

twitter: Three new measles cases reported in South Florida elementary school, bringing the total to 4 that we know of. For fuck's sake, there is a VACCINE for fucking measles. #DeathSantis & his demon sperm surgeon gen. has turned this state into a petri dish of pestilence & ignorance.
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Extinction!

A sad thing, but it is becoming more common in our lifetime. The last surviving polio patient living via an iron lung passed away this week.
CNN

Paul Alexander, who spent the vast majority of the past 70 years in an iron lung and defied expectations by becoming a lawyer and author, died Monday afternoon at the age of 78, according to his brother Philip Alexander.

His death was announced Tuesday on a GoFundMe page set up to help pay for his housing and health care.

“It is absolutely incredible to read all the comments and know that so many people were inspired by Paul. I am just so grateful,” Philip said on the GoFundMe page.

The exact cause of Paul’s death is unclear. He was admitted to the hospital three weeks ago due to a Covid-19 infection but was no longer testing positive this week, Philip said.

Paul developed polio in the summer of 1952, at the age of 6. It was the height of the polio epidemic; more than 21,000 paralytic polio cases were recorded that year in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Today, polio is considered eliminated in the United States thanks to vaccines that were developed in the late 1950s, according to the CDC.

The disease left Paul paralyzed from the neck down and unable to breathe on his own. He was placed in an iron lung, a large metal cylinder that varies air pressure to stimulate breathing, according to his autobiography.

“The doctors told us Paul could not possibly live,” Doris Alexander, Paul’s mother, said in his autobiography. “There were a few times when the electrical power failed and then the lung had to be pumped by hand. Our neighbors would run over and help us pump it.”

Paul spent the next seven decades in an iron lung. In March 2023, he was declared the longest surviving iron lung patient in the world by the Guinness World Records.
But there is hope that this extinction could be reversed and once again these noble creatures, half human-half breathing aparatus will populate the care facilities of the US due to the strident work of current "do their own researchers" in the Fuckwit Medical Sciences. The anti-vax division of the Fuckwit Medical Sciences may once again restore polio to the list of medical calamities that could befall our citizenry.

Current board member of the Fuckwit Medical Association and third party halfwit honorary Dr Robert Kennedy Jr FMD had this to say, "It is a sad day when there are no more polio victims in the US, we can and should do better. As a lifelong conservationist I want to see polio again thrive in the wild here in the US." I think we should take this opportunity to recognize the contributions of our message board friends here, honorary Dr Senor Randall FMD and honorary Dr sQuirt FMD for their efforts to further the spread of Fuckwit Medical Science.

Thank you for your service esteemed colleagues.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

StUpId FuCkInG dEsAnTiS!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2024/ ... s-outbreak

The city has reported 26 measles cases, 19 of which have been in children younger than 5. Most of the cases have been associated with the Pilsen migrant shelter.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:42 pm StUpId FuCkInG dEsAnTiS!

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2024/ ... s-outbreak

The city has reported 26 measles cases, 19 of which have been in children younger than 5. Most of the cases have been associated with the Pilsen migrant shelter.
Help me out here, I'm missing your point.

tia
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am I'm missing your point.
I know.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am I'm missing your point.
I know.
So, so deep...

I was going to put point in quotes, but decided to take the high road.

silly me

Back to TurboTax
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

fucking immigrants
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

sumthin sumthin sumthin woke Chicago has measles too sumthin sumthin