Post by DCHawk1 »

Look at all the White Knights!

Shirley's a lucky gal.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm Look at all the White Knights!

Shirley's a lucky gal.
Is that your final answer to the question?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Shirley's a lucky gal.
Of course not. My final answer was fUcKiNg DeSaNtIs!!!

I assume that you -- being thinking people -- were prompted by that pithy statement of profundity to consider that maybe -- just maybe! -- partisan political obsessions tend to detract to from actual understanding of real problems.

Or...perhaps...the Widening Gyre is more important...

Hard to say.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Shirley's a lucky gal.

I assume that you -- being thinking people -- were prompted by that pithy statement of profundity to consider that maybe -- just maybe! -- partisan political obsessions tend to detract to from actual understanding of real problems.

Hard to say.
And what is the real problem with regards to the uptick in measles infections in the US?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Hard to say.
And what is the real problem with regards to the uptick in measles infections in the US?
It appears to be multifaceted.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hard to say.
Mexicans, duh.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Hard to say.
Mexicans, duh.
Look at you!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

Hard to say.
It appears to be multifaceted.
Humor me, give me a couple of facets.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm
Well...according to the CDC, there have been 64 cases in 17 states, 16 of which aren't governed by DeSantis and 16 of which don't have 20+ cases at a migrant shelter. The CDC attributes most cases to "international travel."

Interestingly, the # of cases this year is about 5% of the total in 2019 (prior to COVID) and about 10% of the total in 2014.

Butt, then, dEsAnTiS!
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

...sets timer...waiting for Q to chime in with the source of the 2019 outbreak...
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm
Well...according to the CDC, there have been 64 cases in 17 states, 16 of which aren't governed by DeSantis and 16 of which don't have 20+ cases at a migrant shelter. The CDC attributes most cases to "international travel."

Interestingly, the # of cases this year is about 5% of the total in 2019 (prior to COVID) and about 10% of the total in 2014.
Thanks, good stuff. You have done your research.

Now, is there anything we know of that would definitively cut down the spread of this disease in the US?

If it is on the "uptick" with such small numbers, then it must have been almost non-existent at one time.

Were we doing something more right before?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley's a lucky gal.

Hard to say.
partisan political obsessions also tend to exacerbate real problems
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm
Now, is there anything we know of that would definitively cut down the spread of this disease in the US?

If it is on the "uptick" with such small numbers, then it must have been almost non-existent at one time.
Here's the fun thing. Measles was declared "eradicated" in the United States in 2000.

It also so happened that there were 86 cases of measles in the United States in 2000.

Outbreaks happen. Moreover, the term "uptick" is misleading. There were 121 cases in the U.S. in 2022, only 58 last year, and 67 so far this year. So...technically, there is an uptick this year. But there was also a significant "downtick" last year.

Now, remind me: who was the governor of Florida last year?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm partisan political obsessions also tend to exacerbate real problems
Yes?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Here's the fun thing. Measles was declared "eradicated" in the United States in 2000.

It also so happened that there were 86 cases of measles in the United States in 2000.

Now, remind me: who was the governor of Florida last year?
Now that is "fun", but in your research have you come across anything we might do to reduce the spread of measles within the US?

I believe Desantis was and is the Gov of FL, has your research shown something otherwise?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm in your research have you come across anything we might do to reduce the spread of measles within the US?
Reduce it from what?

There were more than 100 cases in the United States in 2008, 2013, 2015, and 2017. There were more than 200 cases in the United States in 2011, 2014, 2018, and 2019.

More fun facts: the ages of the measles cases in Broward County, Florida (where there were 9 of the state's 11 total) ranged from a few months to 14 years of age. Given that the first dose of the vaccine is usually administered between 12 and 15 months, that means that the majority of cases (5-9 y.o.: 4 cases; 10-14 y.o.: 3 cases) should have received their first doses of the vaccine somewhere between 4 and 13 years ago.

Interestingly, 13 years ago, Ron dEsAnTiS was a lawyer at the Miami law firm Holland & Knight.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm in your research have you come across anything we might do to reduce the spread of measles within the US?
Reduce it from what?

There were more than 100 cases in the United States in 2008, 2013, 2015, and 2017. There were more than 200 cases in the United States in 2011, 2014, 2018, and 2019.

More fun facts: the ages of the measles cases in Broward County, Florida (where there were 9 of the state's 11 total) ranged from a few months to 14 years of age. Given that the first dose of the vaccine is usually administered between 12 and 15 months, that means that the majority of cases (5-9 y.o.: 4 cases; 10-14 y.o.: 3 cases) should have received their first doses of the vaccine somewhere between 4 and 13 years ago.

Interestingly, 13 years ago, Ron dEsAnTiS was a lawyer at the Miami law firm Holland & Knight.
Those are fun and interesting numbers. And what progress. Vaccines for measles weren't readily available until about the time I reached kindergarten. I read somewhere that 3-4 Million people a year contracted measles back then. Annually 48,000 people were hospitalized, 400-500 people a year died from measles and thousands got encephalitis annually. Imagine the cost to families who mostly did not have health insurance back then. My younger sister got encephalitis shortly after she was born, it was kind of a bad deal back then. The doctors didn't think she would live.

So in your research, to what do they attribute this huge drop in cases and bad health outcomes, between this period before vaccines and after vaccines?

You must be so proud of Ron and how his career has blossomed over the years. Are you related?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm
You must be so proud of Ron and how his career has blossomed over the years. Are you related?
I gotta tell you, I feel bad for you and Shirley and your friends.

It's gotta be hard for you Trumpers right now. I mean...all that you guys want is for your guy to get credit for the one thing he did right during COVID and the most significant achievement of his entire presidency, Operation Warp Speed.

And in the face of all that, you had assholes like rOn DeSaNtIs and Kamala Harris running around the country insisting that the vaccine that your guy made happen was some sort of fraudulent silent killer, saying things like "If Donald Trump tells us to take it, I'm not taking it" -- in a nationally televised debate, nonetheless!

That was shitty. I'll give you that.

I feel for ya, my friend. I really do.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Clusters, something breeding republicans excel at, are a concern and seem to follow lax immunizations
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm
japhy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm
I gotta tell you, I feel bad for you and Shirley and your friends.

It's gotta be hard for you Trumpers right now. I mean...all that you guys want is for your guy to get credit for the one thing he did right during COVID and the most significant achievement of his entire presidency, Operation Warp Speed.

And in the face of all that, you had assholes like rOn DeSaNtIs and Kamala Harris running around the country insisting that the vaccine that your guy made happen was some sort of fraudulent silent killer, saying things like "If Donald Trump tells us to take it, I'm not taking it" -- in a nationally televised debate, nonetheless!

That was shitty. I'll give you that.

I feel for ya, my friend. I really do.
So in your research, to what do they attribute this huge drop in cases and bad health outcomes, between this period before measles vaccines and after vaccines?