Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:46 am As it stands we'd probably start

DH
Zeke
Kugel
Kj
Bidunga
Unless we land someone in the nature of Johnell Davis, I would be very surprised (assuming he's here) if Jackson isn't starting.
I think Zeke starts over him today. without the summer to get used to the team.

Shit, Timberlake started over him. Timberlake!
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:40 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:49 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:46 am As it stands we'd probably start

DH
Zeke
Kugel
Kj
Bidunga
Unless we land someone in the nature of Johnell Davis, I would be very surprised (assuming he's here) if Jackson isn't starting.
I think Zeke starts over him today. without the summer to get used to the team.

Shit, Timberlake started over him. Timberlake!
I would hope that it would be different for a guy with a year in the program.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm betting dajuan and zeke are the starting back court. Zeke is 6'4 and can shoot from 3, and score in a lot of ways. We really need that

I'm hopeful for a much improved elmarko as a sophomore. I think he can be super 6th man type spark for us
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Still hopeful furphy is here one more season.... but not counting on it. Kugel is a good insurance plan. He will likely start at the 3 without furphy

If furphy comes back, we suddenly have a lot of guys competing for minutes at the guard spots. Kugel, zeke, elmarko could all start at the 2, but I'd guess zeke.

Then we still have McDowell, philon, and passmore. McDowell should he ahead of the freshies to start, but they are likely more talented. I'd love to see McDowell redshirt and be a 5 year program guy, if that scenario Even exists anymore
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We also might be sleeping on zach clemence. Gonna be his 4th year in the program. I'm curious to see how much he improved in his year off. Could play the 4 or 5, and gives us a different look. 6'10 shooter, which is exactly the type of player Gonzaga destroyed us with

Clemence needs to hit shots and get his confidence going, I think he can be a weapon. I really don't give a shit if hunter is around next season. Hunter is useful on offense but a defensive liability. I think clemence could be a better fit with KJ, on both sides of the ball. Clemence is a lot more mobile. Clemence might not be an elite rim protector, but neither was hunter. Clemence would give you more energy and rotate faster on defense, which would improve the teams overall ability to defend the interior and perimeter.

Although hunter clearly is the better low block scorer, hunter was also slow and clogged things up offensively. A confident clemence could be used to open the floor up with his shooting, he has nice touch and can finish when inside too. That could really open the paint up for KJ

We know what we get from hunter. Despite hating watching him lumber around the floor, we probably are better off with him coming back, maybe playing more like 25-30 minutes a game tho instead of 35ish

But I am quite intrigued with what a front court without hunter looks like. A frontcourt of KJ, a 6'10 shooter in clemence, and the freakishly athletic freshman
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

zc or hd. it's a toss up for sure. 6 of one. half dozen of the other.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:21 pm We also might be sleeping on zach clemence. Gonna be his 4th year in the program. I'm curious to see how much he improved in his year off. Could play the 4 or 5, and gives us a different look. 6'10 shooter, which is exactly the type of player Gonzaga destroyed us with

Clemence needs to hit shots and get his confidence going, I think he can be a weapon. I really don't give a shit if hunter is around next season. Hunter is useful on offense but a defensive liability. I think clemence could be a better fit with KJ, on both sides of the ball. Clemence is a lot more mobile. Clemence might not be an elite rim protector, but neither was hunter. Clemence would give you more energy and rotate faster on defense, which would improve the teams overall ability to defend the interior and perimeter.

Although hunter clearly is the better low block scorer, hunter was also slow and clogged things up offensively. A confident clemence could be used to open the floor up with his shooting, he has nice touch and can finish when inside too. That could really open the paint up for KJ

We know what we get from hunter. Despite hating watching him lumber around the floor, we probably are better off with him coming back, maybe playing more like 25-30 minutes a game tho instead of 35ish

But I am quite intrigued with what a front court without hunter looks like. A frontcourt of KJ, a 6'10 shooter in clemence, and the freakishly athletic freshman
Seeing, in Clemence, something more than "Hunter Dickinson if absolutely everything goes right" would seem like the same sort of approach error that would cause one to see Kyle Lowry in Yesufu, or cause one to have to retroactively walk back expectations for Jackson.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you’re crazy

randi is right about everything
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

In no way did I say zach would be better than hunter individually. My point was he's been forgotten about, and might be productive for us

Where hunter is painfully slow and unathletic, zach could fit in with our usual type of play better

Idk about you, but I am not a fan of the product we put forth last season
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

zc has real potential to be my favorite player on next years team.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:45 pm In no way did I say zach would be better than hunter individually. My point was he's been forgotten about, and might be productive for us

Where hunter is painfully slow and unathletic, zach could fit in with our usual type of play better

No one accused you of saying Clemence would be better.

Having watched him play, though, he sure plays a LOT like Hunter! Just not as good.

I think you are deluding yourself (like with Yesufu) and setting yourself up for a walkback (like with Jackson) by assuming he is anything more than a smaller Hunter, with similar skills and similar deficiencies.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:24 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:45 pm In no way did I say zach would be better than hunter individually. My point was he's been forgotten about, and might be productive for us

No one accused you of saying Clemence would be better.

Having watched him play, though, he sure plays a LOT like Hunter! Just not as good.

I think you are deluding yourself (like with Yesufu) and setting yourself up for a walkback (like with Jackson) by assuming he is anything more than a smaller Hunter, with similar skills and similar deficiencies.
A walk back with Jackson?
Incase you forgot I was the one who was right about him being raw and had low expectations for his freshman year. Same as mj rice the year before. When the majority of the board was expecting an instant impact type of player
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What I am saying is that you are setting yourself up to have to walk this back. I like Clemence and think he can be a good player, much more offense than defense. I think you are deluding yourself if you think he is anything more than Diet Hunter.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Clemence is slow and awful on defense too. I know it's been a year since we've seen it, but there is a reason he was behind Udeh and Zuby.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:02 pm Clemence is slow and awful on defense too. I know it's been a year since we've seen it, but there is a reason he was behind Udeh and Zuby.
So what you are saying is that he is a highly skilled big who has to be guarded out to the perimeter, but for whom "average" on defense would be a good result.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:02 pm Clemence is slow and awful on defense too. I know it's been a year since we've seen it, but there is a reason he was behind Udeh and Zuby.
So what you are saying is that he is a highly skilled big who has to be guarded out to the perimeter, but for whom "average" on defense would be a good result.
Well, not exactly.

He has only proven to be a perimeter oriented big who is slow and doesn't knock down the 3 with any proven consistency and who also isn't a great rebounder.

He is a lot closer to Parker Braun and Mitch Lightfoot than he is Hunter Dickinson.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:12 pm
Well, not exactly.

He has only proven to be a perimeter oriented big who is slow and doesn't knock down the 3 with any proven consistency and who also isn't a great rebounder.

He is a lot closer to Parker Braun and Mitch Lightfoot than he is Hunter Dickinson.
So what you are saying is that he has the potential to be a highly skilled big who has to be guarded out to the perimeter, but for whom "average" on defense would be a good result.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I like Clemens, especially his short stories. That one about the frog in Calaveras County is my fav.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:18 pm I like Clemens, especially his short stories. That one about the frog in Calaveras County is my fav.
Helluva splitter, too.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:52 pm What I am saying is that you are setting yourself up to have to walk this back. I like Clemence and think he can be a good player, much more offense than defense. I think you are deluding yourself if you think he is anything more than Diet Hunter.
A walk back like what you had to do with Jackson. Got it