Automobiles

Coffee talk.
japhy
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by japhy »

Am I a bad person for thinking I might want a Rivian?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Rivian is badass
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Saw a cyber truck in the wild.

JFC
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:17 pm Am I a bad person for thinking I might want a Rivian?
I just think they look goofy as hell. Ready for the era of EVs that look like normal freaking cars.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Overlander wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:54 pm Rivian is badass
Annie's department at work just got an F150 Lightning last week. Everyone in Facilities has been coming around to get their chance to drive the thing. Everyone seems to love the thing. Annie opened up the frunk and came home raving about the extra space for hauling stuff. Dok owns the entire back seat of the Tacoma so a lot of stuff has to sit in the truck bed while traveling. The only complaint Esso far is they left it outside last night and the "tank" went from full to half full overnight. Not a big deal since they have charging stations all around campus but it was eye opening.

Driving the long haul from KC to the Springs would include another set of logistical issues with regards to charging. But once we move to Colorado full time that seems to be less an issue. There are more charging stations it seems in the cities in CO than in MO. One charge would get us from the Springs to the Empire. Center has a charging station in the park half a block from the Spud Lounge.

The reviews I read of the Lightning were good but several reviewers said, "these are nice but when compared to the Rivian..." so I had to look them up. I wrote them off a few years ago thinking wait and see if they "make it". Looks like they made it. I worry a bit about service, an architect I know has a Tesla. To get service, a tech comes to the parking lot at his office with a service van and works on the thing in the lot. Seemed cumbersome. Turns out Rivian has a service center in Denver and the Springs. More of them in CO than any State except CA. I have seen them driving around out there. The gear storage in the thing is pretty impressive. And yes Outlander, the 14.9 inches of ground clearance and the adjustable suspension impressed me. I had the air suspension on my old Discovery but read a lot of horror stories abut the compressor crapping out in the middle of nowhere and I replaced that with tall OME springs all the way around. That suspension was far and away the best thing I ever drove over 30 miles of washboard roads. Not sure I would need a skid plate given the clearance ton a Rivian. And all wheel drive, as in there is a motor on every wheel. The Meridian audio system intrigues me as well. There is a $10K premium to pay for the Rivian over the Lightning but it might be money well spent.

Next comes the part where I look at what it costs to get the engine/transmission/suspension rebuilt and drive the Tacoma until I die versus putting up the money for a Rivian. The Tacoma only has 185,000 miles on hit. I drove my old 97 4Runner up to 300,000 and it was still a tank. Chances are II'll keep the Tacoma and Annie will get an EV for her next car. But it was interesting looking at the new tech and seeing how these things have advanced.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Love my Outlander. My Claymore and Bannockburn hand shield at the ready.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Sparko wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:18 am Love my Outlander. My Claymore and Bannockburn hand shield at the ready.
God damn spellcheck is fucking with me again, my laptop isn't working right.

Wait, I'm turning into my mother-in-law. Fuuuuck.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Dangerously cold temperatures are impacting Chicago area electric car owners.

Frigid cold, broken chargers leave Chicago area Tesla owners frustrated
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Certainly another concern I would have, in weather like this, is how assured I could be that the system has enough failsafes that I could count on the heat working if my car finds itself in a ditch having slid off the road into snow.

I have a newly-driving kid so this concern is close to home - this is “you die” weather.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So my Forester ( which has been nothing but dependable since I bought it with 7k miles on it in 2014 ) got crunched by a tree. It's roof was dented ( but not torn open ) and the hood damaged. They'll need to replace both of those entirely.

The insurance company is coming to do another inspection and there are rumors they want to total it.
I don't really want it totalled - again, great car, just fix it and let me keep driving.

Anyone have experience with fighting back on a car being totalled or getting a better value from the company when they offer you the check? i.e. my Kelly Blue Book value certainly is lower than what the used dealerships are offering for vehicles with my make/model/mileage.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Not sure, but I think you can take the cash for damages and get it fixed yourself. Check with them though.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:06 am So my Forester ( which has been nothing but dependable since I bought it with 7k miles on it in 2014 ) got crunched by a tree. It's roof was dented ( but not torn open ) and the hood damaged. They'll need to replace both of those entirely.

The insurance company is coming to do another inspection and there are rumors they want to total it.
I don't really want it totalled - again, great car, just fix it and let me keep driving.

Anyone have experience with fighting back on a car being totalled or getting a better value from the company when they offer you the check? i.e. my Kelly Blue Book value certainly is lower than what the used dealerships are offering for vehicles with my make/model/mileage.
I may be wrong.....but if they deem it totaled, that doesn't mean you have to give it up. They just give you the replacement value of the vehicle and then you do as you wish from that point forward. Be it fix the car or move on. With the caveat that the title now is tarnished and selling it later is nigh impossible.

again, all of the above may be wrong but that's how I remember it.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:06 am So my Forester ( which has been nothing but dependable since I bought it with 7k miles on it in 2014 ) got crunched by a tree. It's roof was dented ( but not torn open ) and the hood damaged. They'll need to replace both of those entirely.

I think the insurance would just deduct what your deductible is as well as how much the car would have gotten at salvage auction from the check they write you to allow you to keep it and then you'd have to get a salvage title.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Has anyone gotten insurance companies to bump up the offer?
Bc they are at the house now and their initial 60% of the cost of the car is not going to "make me whole" as my policy lists out.
Making me whole would be letting me go right now and finding a similar make/model/mileage that I could buy with the money they gave me.

I'm guessing this will just be a slow painful back and forth.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I do not know about negotiating
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I did keep my car after it was totaled. I had to make sure they never loaded the car on the trailer to take out of town while I made my decision. I used the money they gave me for the car to have it repaired at another place that would fix. Remember that "insurance" repairs have to use new OEM parts and warranty the repairs (so it is as expensive as it can be). I found a shop and told them to treat my car like it were a farm truck (ie, reliable transportation... do not break the bank, trusted parts from junk yard or banged out would be fine with me). I made money and am still driving it. They do not make this model anymore. The salvage title does not scare me one bit since someone is going to have to pry the keys out of my dead hand anyway.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's not totaled.
Their estimated value of the car was only 1.5k less than what I was going to put my foot down for - so their value wasn't way off - and that kept it from being totaled.

The initial red flag was when they said the estimated repair cost from the shop could be 60% or more of my valuation. That was not going to fly for me.

I just have a rough looking car for 3 weeks ( til it can go in for body repair ) and then am carless for 2 after that. Plus pay the deductible.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sooo

Every Cybertruck shipped to date has already been recalled

Apparently the accelerator pedal is getting stuck to the floor
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'm sure it makes me a bad person to be glad that Tesla is down more than any other co. in the S&P 500 this year.

(I keep hearing that, although I haven't seen it in print or confirmed it.)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

When your target market is primarily environmentally friendly progressive types cuz your product is electric cars, it’s prob not wise to buy a social media company and effectively out yourself as a kooky right wing bro

As if there was ever any doubt