Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

WARNING - Someone gets killed in this video.

This is just another day in the good old USA in which a "good guy with a gun" gets killed because he was a "good guy with a gun".
BUT...
This is not the typical reason why a "good guy with a gun" gets killed because he was a "good guy with a gun".

A lot of thoughts and debates arise from this video. As the comments attest to.

https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/statu ... 6312711268
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

alright...whose been to Stull Kansas and has stories?

Also, why didn't I ever hear of these stories years ago?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I went with a group one night. Think it was a full moon. Got pretty gushered in that cemetery, but other than that, nothing happened.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Went to Stull several times.
How the hell did you not hear about it?

Scariest place I have ever been?
There used to be a huge abandoned home east of Lawrence about 6 miles.

Story was always that one of the outbuildings (a bunkhouse style building), housed slaves in the mid 1800s.

While we were exploring it, in broad daylight, things happened that still give me the creeps.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:47 pm Went to Stull several times.
How the hell did you not hear about it?

Scariest place I have ever been?
There used to be a huge abandoned home east of Lawrence about 6 miles.

Story was always that one of the outbuildings (a bunkhouse style building), housed slaves in the mid 1800s.

While we were exploring it, in broad daylight, things happened that still give me the creeps.
I have no idea

I woukd like to hear your stories tho, that stuff is fascinating. I certainly belive there's more to this "world" than we can possibly understand but I have no idea what that entails. I'm a natural skeptic who believes....if that makes any sense at all.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

some of my favorite spots at Clinton would take us right by Stull, but i’ve never been inclined to indulge in the “spirituality” and hop the fence into the cemetery

buddy of mine from hs had a top floor apartment in the ghetto (13th and Ohio) where multiple people had died. heard random noises there all the time, and his cat was always staring at shit and flipping out over seemingly nothing…but, it’s a cat, so…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:36 pm alright...whose been to Stull Kansas and has stories?

Also, why didn't I ever hear of these stories years ago?
Mrs 99 and I had some friends who lived in Stull. We went out there for dinner a few times. They said the scariest thing they saw was drunk college kids out running around.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Having an AC Unit and 2 thermostats replaced today. Not an expense I was hoping to have this week but here we are. Apparently, the compressor on the old one exploded and caught fire recently so I guess I will just choose to be happy that my house didn't burn down.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am Having an AC Unit and 2 thermostats replaced today. Not an expense I was hoping to have this week but here we are. Apparently, the compressor on the old one exploded and caught fire recently so I guess I will just choose to be happy that my house didn't burn down.
certainly could be worse....fire is no bueno.

Assuming your ductwork is in good shape a new AC unit shouldn't be too terribly expensive to replace.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:41 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am Having an AC Unit and 2 thermostats replaced today. Not an expense I was hoping to have this week but here we are. Apparently, the compressor on the old one exploded and caught fire recently so I guess I will just choose to be happy that my house didn't burn down.

Assuming your ductwork is in good shape a new AC unit shouldn't be too terribly expensive to replace.
$6k for the AC and 2 thermostats. Having one of the other annoying old thermostats replaced while they're at it. What's another $400 at this point...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:25 am

$6k for the AC and 2 thermostats. Having one of the other annoying old thermostats replaced while they're at it. What's another $400 at this point...
seems high ..but everything seems high to me anymore.

Why not just replace the thermostats yourself? takes about 5 minutes and you can get pretty damn nice ones for a lot cheaper than that.

The power company here provides our thermostats....I dunno why but I'll take it
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:03 am

Wow. I fell for that once.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:08 am
Wow. I fell for that once.
yea, doesn't seem to impact me much, I run my house warm in the summer and cold in the winter. I'll switch it out if it ever restricts what I can do
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Why not just replace the thermostats yourself? takes about 5 minutes and you can get pretty damn nice ones for a lot cheaper than that.

Our power company sent us a new thermostat they want us to install because it allows THEM to shut off the power to our unit during high usage time. Yeah, no.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 am

Our power company sent us a new thermostat they want us to install because it allows THEM to shut off the power to our unit during high usage time. Yeah, no.
yea mine doesn't allow for that....it'd not hooked up to internet, they have no access. Like I said, if that ever became a thing, I'd swap it out that day.

also we have tons if power here from dams, we ship power out we have a surplus, so we don't (or haven't yet( ever had an issue with a lack of power on the grid.

That being said, I'm working on a plan to get solar panels and a battery bank set up so I can pull off grid completely. Power is my last link to non self provided services...except internet I guess.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Exactly my experience.
I imagine not being connected eliminates that concern though.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:24 pm

Exactly my experience.
I imagine not being connected eliminates that concern though.
They will definitely have a harder time turning off my AC with the thermostat still being in the closet on a shelf.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So Red Lobster is considering bankruptcy.

Apparently reported an $11 million quarterly loss after they tried a $20 all-you-can-eat shrimp promotion
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Funny enough, lobster is also considering bankruptcy after he put all his money in shorting the housing market in 2019 and sooner.