Calapari to Arkansas?

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Calapari to Arkansas?

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:21 am Small picture why?
Bob normally contributes 4 million to the athletics department.
Bob doesn't this year and contributes to the collective instead.

It works!
I would be shocked (in, as someone interested in UK suffering, a happy way) if UK was relying on 2024 donations to make 2024 payments.

That's all I mean. I don't know if someone like Bob would be permitted to back out of a pledge for purposes of taking $4mm away from UK and putting it toward NIL.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

apparently school..uh ..collectives..are now sending alumni letters asking for donations to the NIL funds

I haven't seen anything but that's the rumor, at least for some schools.

fucking gross.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 am apparently school..uh ..collectives..are now sending alumni letters asking for donations to the NIL funds

fucking gross.
i don’t disagree, but i’ve been getting alumni assoc. donation requests anyway, so what’s another unopened envelope in the trash?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:38 am apparently school..uh ..collectives..are now sending alumni letters asking for donations to the NIL funds

fucking gross.
To each his own.

For me, I'd care a lot about the efficiency of how my money is spent.

If I am spending money to support the basketball program (and not other, more altruistic purposes), I would MUCH rather it go directly to getting great players, rather than it going indirectly toward attracting great players by way of funding a tenth locker room renovation or basketball dorm in the last thirteen years.

Personally, I think inefficient use of donor money (including, for time being anyway, management fees and overhead at collectives) is, and has for a very long time been, fucking gross.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 am

fucking gross.
To each his own.

If I am spending money to support the basketball program (and not other, more altruistic purposes), I would MUCH rather it go directly to getting great players, rather than it going indirectly toward attracting great players by way of funding a tenth locker room renovation or basketball dorm in the last thirteen years.

Personally, I think inefficient use of donor money (including, for time being anyway, management fees and overhead at collectives) is, and has for a very long time been, fucking gross.
donation money to a library, student housing, hell even a stadium...something lasting and impactful for the university

Donation money for a 1 year rental of some kid to play basketball who doesn't give 2 shits about the university and who already is going to make more in his 1 year than 99% of the people they are asking to donate make in 5.....is disgusting.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

yep.

the little pukes may get their money. but they ain't getting it from me.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:15 am the little pukes may get their money. but they ain't getting it from me.
They don't take SNAP credits anyway....
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:12 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 am

fucking gross.
To each his own.

donation money to a library, student housing, hell even a stadium...something lasting and impactful for the university

Donation money for a 1 year rental of some kid to play basketball who doesn't give 2 shits about the university and who already is going to make more in his 1 year than 99% of the people they are asking to donate make in 5.....is disgusting.
Like I said, to each his own.

I don't find choice to be a bad thing at all (and I'm not putting those words in your mouth, either).

My choice (were I a big-dollar donor, which I'm not) would most likely be to donate toward major capital projects that enrich the whole experience (like a library or student housing or a stadium), OR something super-specific (like an endowed scholarship for students of particular backgrounds or with particular goals).

What I find disgusting is/was the athletes-only facilities arms race that was simply inefficient player-compensation-by-proxy (with a side of mutual backscratching with service providers like architecture, construction and management firms). Grotesquely so when the projects are beneficial nearly exclusively to revenue sports athletes (like McCarthy Hall, which cost $11.2 million and houses thirty-eight people, sixteen of which are basketball players and the balance of which are "non-athlete upperclassmen").

There is not a remotely serious argument that this is "something lasting and impactful for the university" (which you did not say it was!) except as a basketball recruiting enticement.

Of course, willing buyer/willing seller. No one made those donors spend their money that way.

But is it what they would do now, in an era where you don't need to spend money on recruiting enticements so inefficiently? I think we'll see the answer to that question over the next ten years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 am

It works!
I would be shocked (in, as someone interested in UK suffering, a happy way) if UK was relying on 2024 donations to make 2024 payments.

That's all I mean. I don't know if someone like Bob would be permitted to back out of a pledge for purposes of taking $4mm away from UK and putting it toward NIL.
Errr.
Why the hell not?
If the athletic department wanted the funds there, they certainly wouldn't force Bob to go through with his original pledge.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 am

It works!

Errr.
Why the hell not?
If the athletic department wanted the funds there, they certainly wouldn't force Bob to go through with his original pledge.
Impossible for us to say with any certainty, which is why I said I don't know. There are plenty of ways the department or university might be restricted from saying, without someone else's approval (like a bank), "nah fam."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bob hasn't committed any money yet - at least not this normal time period.
The institution that will receive the money is fine with Bob not committing said money.
No one is going to force Bob to donate money he hasn't donated yet to the Athletic Department.

Over lunch Bob meets with Kentuckys NIL Collective CEO and Kentuckys Athletic Director.
They pick up the tab.
Bob is on bored.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:26 pm Bob hasn't committed any money yet - at least not this normal time period.
The institution that will receive the money is fine with Bob not committing said money.
No one is going to force Bob to donate money he hasn't donated yet to the Athletic Department.

Over lunch Bob meets with Kentuckys NIL CEO and Kentuckys Athletic Director.
They pick up the tab.
Bob is on bored.
Ok. Good for them!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Then why are you even freaking arguing?
LOL.

"They can't do that.
We don't know if they can do that.
OK they can. Good for them!"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:28 pm Then why are you even freaking arguing?
LOL.

"They can't do that.
We don't know if they can do that.
OK they can. Good for them!"
Ok. You brought up a specific example, I posted to agree with your general point but wondered about whether the specific example was feasible (because it affects KU and every other school, especially every public school, too).

In any case, I think we can leave Bob and Mitch to their lunch!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"School".
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

furphy is back in australia. i wonder if he is keeping up with his academics while he is back home.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm furphy is back in australia. i wonder if he is keeping up with his academics while he is back home.
Will he ever step foot in kansas again
KJHGUY

Post by KJHGUY »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:42 pm furphy is back in australia. i wonder if he is keeping up with his academics while he is back home.
am sure his do keep up with his academics
Rock chalk jayhawk 🔴🔵
IAM Doning BIG THING YOU DIGG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

like u did in school to
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Byu hired Kevin young, one of the top nba assistant coaches. Should be a strong hire for the big 12