Welcome AJ Storr

Kansas Basketball.
mjl2
Contributor

Re: Welcome AJ Storr

Post by mjl2 »

I'm still concerned about rebounding and team defense.

Yes, I am a broken record. I'm sorry.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

mjl2 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 pm I'm still concerned about rebounding and team defense.

Yes, I am a broken record. I'm sorry.
at least its a decent tune
Just Ledoux it
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

KJ averaged 4.6 rebounds. No reason he shouldn't be able to up that to at least 7 if he chooses to focus on it.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm KJ averaged 4.6 rebounds. No reason he shouldn't be able to up that to at least 7 if he chooses to focus on it.
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. I think there was a lot of pressure on him last year to be a scorer. With the guys coming in hopefully he can focus more on using his energy and athleticism to rebound more.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:53 pm So far outta the portal we got…3 wing types?
Zeke is more of a PG/SG, Storr is definitely a SF who could maybe play some PF if KU is in a tight spot, Kugel is a SG/SF but is also a bit of an enigma.

Still think Bill needs to get a big out of the portal.
Yea, I wouldn’t mind another big too.

I guess Hunter/Flory/Zach/KJ in the right matchup isn’t the end of the world, I guess.

But if we’re allowed to suggest a big outta the portal, is it really too much to ask for some sorta dynamic scoring lead guard type too?

Can Zeke be that?

That would be so rad. But also seems like a lot to expect. Our track record with midmajor transfers ain’t great.

Can Elmarko be that?

He has the raw talent but man that would be the biggest sophomore leap of all time
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:47 pm
InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:53 pm So far outta the portal we got…3 wing types?
Zeke is more of a PG/SG, Storr is definitely a SF who could maybe play some PF if KU is in a tight spot, Kugel is a SG/SF but is also a bit of an enigma.

Still think Bill needs to get a big out of the portal.
Yea, I wouldn’t mind another big too.

I guess Hunter/Flory/Zach/KJ in the right matchup isn’t the end of the world, I guess.

But if we’re allowed to suggest a big outta the portal, is it really too much to ask for some sorta dynamic scoring lead guard type too?

Can Zeke be that?

That would be so rad. But also seems like a lot to expect. Our track record with midmajor transfers ain’t great.

Can Elmarko be that?

He has the raw talent but man that would be the biggest sophomore leap of all time
Storr is a scoring guard.

Our "lead guard" is DH. Just fucking stop. We've got plenty of scoring around him.

We get it. You're not a fan. But please don't turn this portion of the board into what you turn the politics board into. Endless repeating and revisiting of the same things over and over.

DH is here for 1 more year. Get over it.

We just got the #1 transfer for the 2nd year in a row.

Who are you wanting as a dynamic scoring lead guard? Give us names. Who out there in the portal is what you are wanting? Or who on another team's roster do you want us to make a run at?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jeez illy, just tryna talk hoops, didn't mean to raise a fuss.

who do you think might redshirt?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:04 pm jeez illy, just tryna talk hoops, didn't mean to raise a fuss.

who do you think might redshirt?
I'm serious. Who is a dynamic scoring lead guard that you want us to get? I am not trying to be an asshole, but you're beating a dead horse about DH not being a scorer. Even though now we've got him surrounded by 4 guys who all score (HD 18ppg, Storr 17ppg, Zeke 19ppg, KJ 13ppg) that's 67 points per game. Add 6-8ppg for DH, and another 8-12ppg off the bench and we've got a team that score in the mid 80s.

Think it through. I know you're mad that DH is not Frank Mason. We are too. But Frank Mason isn't out there available for us.

McDowell, Philon, and Passmore are the only logical redshirts.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno a particular name out of the portal to suggest right meow, sorry. I think you added that bit between the time I initially read your post and the time I submitted a response.

I'd be thrilled if we can get 17 out of Storr and 19 out of Zeke, but historic trends suggest a transfer's stats are likely to take a dip here.

I could maybe see 14-15+ out of KJ tho next year, considering he was at 12.6 already, and historic trends also suggest we can expect a bigger role for a 4th year program dood...if it's not jumpers, maybe a lot of post feed bounce-and-attack sorts of looks? Like we used him against Cincy in the B12 tourney
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 pm I dunno a particular name out of the portal to suggest right meow, sorry.
Names that come to mind: Jeremy Roach. DJ Wagner. Johnell Davis. Meechie Johnson....none of which seem like realistic options at this point.

I figured since you're so into "dynamic scoring lead guards" you'd at least have some sort of idea who you're wanting to come in and take minutes from a 6th year senior who has started over 100 games for KU.

Zeke Mayo is a dynamic scoring guard. Aj Storr is a dynamic scoring guard.

Not sure why it's an issue for you that they don't dribble the ball up the court and/or they are not the shortest person on the team? Why does a dynamic scorer have to be a PG for you to feel comfortable?

DH not being a primary scorer is not an issue, at all, if he is surrounded by scorers. Which he is now, unlike the bad parts of last year.

A name that should excite you is Jasper Johnson. He is a dynamic scoring guard lead guard that we are recruiting from the 2025 class. But you'll have to wait 1 more year and somehow (please) stop regurgitating your concerns that DH isn’t Frank Mason.

Also as a side note: both of our national championship teams had a non dynamic scoring lead guard starting at PG.....and most places are now showing us as preseason #1, again. So, there's that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

thanks for the info.

would you rather have Jasper Johnson or Darius Acuff?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

even more than just Dajuan, the whole roster construction still seems weird. We got a big slow old school center, AND a non-shooting non-slashing pg, AND a non-shooting undersized forward, all slated for huge roles - again.

That makes the majority of the starting lineup that was getting us absolutely pantsed by the end of last season. Like, the least competitive I've ever seen a Self team. Couldn't defend shit, AND struggled to score.

And, who knows whether those dudes have more development yet in them, or if they've plateaued.

That means we gotta round out that lineup and offset any of its weaknesses with newcomers. ETA mostly...maybe I'm sleeping on Zach/Marko/McD

so I guess time will tell whether last season's issues were as simple as the SG/SF spots and the bench.

but, to not start Friday on a meltdown before I've even had my coffee, and to keep the thread on track - AJ Storr seems like our best addition yet, and excited to see him in crimson and blue.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:25 am thanks for the info.

would you rather have Jasper Johnson or Darius Acuff?
Either would be great.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Also, Kj isn't really an undersized 4 by CBB standards. He's strong as fuck.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:26 am Also, Kj isn't really an undersized 4 by CBB standards. He's strong as fuck.
Yes he is. He's just a strong athletic undersized 4
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm KJ averaged 4.6 rebounds. No reason he shouldn't be able to up that to at least 7 if he chooses to focus on it.
Same reason a t rex can't scratch its own ass

KJs rebounds could go down actually, if he rests a little more with more depth. We didn't really have a back up 4 last year, just played small. Storr and clemence can play the 4