Kansas Basketball.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Re: 2024/2025 Lineup

Post by InfiniteJ »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 am
InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am
I am OK with trading up on Kugel. And we're trying to land the #1 PG in '25, Acuff I think his name is.
I agree; it kind of feels like Bill and staff were a little trigger happy with Kugel...he could end up being a very good player, but I think there's equal chance he ends up lost on the bench.
I think when we accepted the commitment from Kugel that Aj Storr seemed like a pipe dream.

And if the staff had to rank the Kugel Brea and Griffen, they'd probably rank Kugel last......so, maybe there's a chance we mutually back out of Kugel and then also force Jamari out to make room if both Brea and Griffen want to come to KU.
Totally agree.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Either way, after ending the season not overly optimistic about next year, the moves we have made this offseason get an A+ grade from me so far.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Roster shakeups have always been a part of the game.

NIL and the portal have accelerated the shakeups, so they apparently happen more, and more quickly.

I know it feels gross.

But, just trying to be glass-half-donut-full here, it’s actually kinda made the offseason a little more entertaining.

There’s usually so little news otherwise, and the news can often be bad news (somebody got in trouble), rather than more relatively good news (we upgraded our portal wing to what appears to be a more talented portal wing, sweet)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How would that work?

The glass is full with portions of donuts or what?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I liked when CBB wasn't pro sports.
These are pro sports offseasons.

Don't make em go to class. Don't make em live on campus. Just pay them, move them to KCK and call em the Phogushers.

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Yes. The offseasons are way more active/exciting with the portal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 am
I am OK with trading up on Kugel. And we're trying to land the #1 PG in '25, Acuff I think his name is.
I agree; it kind of feels like Bill and staff were a little trigger happy with Kugel...he could end up being a very good player, but I think there's equal chance he ends up lost on the bench.
I think when we accepted the commitment from Kugel that Aj Storr seemed like a pipe dream.

And if the staff had to rank the Kugel Brea and Griffen, they'd probably rank Kugel last......so, maybe there's a chance we mutually back out of Kugel and then also force Jamari out to make room if both Brea and Griffen want to come to KU.
I'd rather keep McDowell, let Kugel go back into the portal and get just one of Griffen and Brea.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:26 am Roster shakeups have always been a part of the game.

NIL and the portal have accelerated the shakeups, so they apparently happen more, and more quickly.

I know it feels gross.

But, just trying to be glass-half-donut-full here, it’s actually kinda made the offseason a little more entertaining.

There’s usually so little news otherwise, and the news can often be bad news (somebody got in trouble), rather than more relatively good news (we upgraded our portal wing to what appears to be a more talented portal wing, sweet)
I have always enjoyed the offseason roster building of teams so this is a nice addition for me. It's a little out of hand how many guys are transferring that don't end up finding an upgrade but that will settle over time. Too many guys think they are worthy of some big NIL deal when they are really just another player.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:54 am

I'd rather keep McDowell, let Kugel go back into the portal and get just one of Griffen and Brea.
I get it. Loyalty. It still matters to me too.

.....but, Brea and Griffen are both better at basketball than McDowell. So, who knows.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Too many guys think they are worthy of some big NIL deal when they are really just another player.

i really think this is the crux of it, though i also thing playing time is part of it. i’m not sure if it’s inflated egos/self-perception from being big fish in small ponds, or generational entitlement…or both. but, it sure seems like there are a lot of guys wanting instant success (be it monetary or playing time, or both). i don’t know that, percentage-wise, it’s all that different now than it has been, but i do think the rules allowing for more freedom of movement have exacerbated the situation
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am Yes. The offseasons are way more active/exciting with the portal.
A lot of people like the Transformers movies too.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:46 am Yes. The offseasons are way more active/exciting with the portal.
no. they're stupid. I hate it all. driving good fans away. Guess it gives t shirt fans something to talk about all summer tho...so...yay!
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Bill's best teams were have been the "older" ones built on players who had been in the program for multiple years, with a blue-chipper or two sprinkled in here-and-there...we all know those days are gone and it sucks. KU and most other basketball programs are going to have to rebuild their roster every year. The only thing I like about the NIL era is that it probably keeps guys in the college game longer, especially guys who are good/great college players, but would be considered tweeners in the NBA. I like nothing about the unlimited transfer situation...even though it probably benefits KU as much as anyone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...even though it probably benefits KU as much as anyone."

It definitely does.
But I don't like being the Yankees, Dodgers and Astros and trying to buy our titles.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:25 am "...even though it probably benefits KU as much as anyone."

It definitely does.
But I don't like being the Yankees, Dodgers and Astros and trying to buy our titles.
Very much agree.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I like kugels potential and tools, but if the rumors are true, he might as well reenter the portal now

He's a guy with nba tools and aspirations. He tested the waters after his freshman year. But if he's not willing to compete for minutes in college. How can he ever hope to make it in the league??
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Koby Brea is a hot name because of his elite shooting metrics, but he's a horrible defensive player, who despite all the fawning over him, only averaged 11 PPG last year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

This is true. But a lot of people are soft and can't handle change

But then again, the portal is so active because these kids are soft and don't want to work for things
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am Koby Brea is a hot name because of his elite shooting metrics, but he's a horrible defensive player, who despite all the fawning over him, only averaged 11 PPG last year.
People see the 50% shooting numbers and get hard. I haven't watched brea play, but I remember people fawning over timberlake last time around, because of his good percentage on high volume
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am
no. they're stupid. I hate it all. driving good fans away. Guess it gives t shirt fans something to talk about all summer tho...so...yay!
I'll try not to take the t-shirt fan shot too personally.

I definitely understand why you dislike the offseason movement. I definitely feel similar about some of the aspects of it as you do.