Season Grades

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Season Grades

Post by ousdahl »

Did we do this thread yet?

Even if we did, it’s the offseason, so we need threads.

What ya got?

I give Self like a C- (at best) for shaky GM decisions that resulted in a weird ass roster build.

Hunter: C+ …yea he stuffed stats and went second team AA but he played slow, soft, below the rim even tho he’s yuge, and no ink.

KJ: B…statistically improved but come on man, rebounding…a J would be nice too.

McCullar: (incomplete)

Furphy: A …I mean he was a nobody who came out of nowhere but ended up worthy of starting as a freshy and prob OAD now. I’m not gonna begrudge.

Dajuan: A+ …there’s a reason why everybody talks about what a great PG he is.

Bench: the grade is prob somewhere in the alphabet between “L” and “ulz” but maybe this is a good point to open up the thread for others to discuss…
randylahey

Re: Season Grades

Post by randylahey »

Self would give himself an F
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I give Self a B
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm hoping someone else will take a stab at Kevin's grade.

The thing is, we were actually pretty good when we had him healthy.

But the fact we were a dumpster fire without him is perhaps more than anyone on GM Self.

Also trying to recall if we ever had a season so dependent on one single player.

Or if a healthy Kevin would have even made that much difference in the critical stretch of the season, or if other teams would have figured us out regardless.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kevin’s grade was sinking so instead of just taking his B- he just quit class.

Hunter is the kid you hate as a teacher as he thinks he’s the shit and you catch him on his phone during class every day but mostly does his assignments and can get good grades without studying so you figure out a way to give him a B when he probably deserves an A-.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But what a funny analogy tho bc neither of those dudes care about school.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

even tho they've both been in school for like a combined 45 years
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:10 pm I'm hoping someone else will take a stab at Kevin's grade.

The thing is, we were actually pretty good when we had him healthy.

But the fact we were a dumpster fire without him is perhaps more than anyone on GM Self.

Also trying to recall if we ever had a season so dependent on one single player.

Or if a healthy Kevin would have even made that much difference in the critical stretch of the season, or if other teams would have figured us out regardless.
Another year when it all fell apart when one player got hurt was 2019

When we undefeated and ranked #1 in the country, then dok has a season ending season and we "sucked" (by KU standards) from there on it and had a very underwhelming team. Dok was just such an imposing physical presence that we were dramatically different without him
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

19 was a lot more than one player getting hurt

Another went crazy and got the boot

And another yet got the ncaa kiss of death

Among other shit?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hunter A-
Furphy B+
Kj B
KM B
DH B
Parker B
Jamari B-
Elmarko C
Timberlake C-

Self D+
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Honestly mccullar was like an A+ pre injury. Nagging injury that fucked with his game and head a little and then it got handled weird

But he was leading the league in scoring, close to 20 ppg. Turned around his one weakness coming into season, 3pt shooting. Was defending passing and rebounding at a high level while being our leading scorer, the dude had multiple triple doubles early and led us to some big wins in non con
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:46 am But what a funny analogy tho bc neither of those dudes care about school.
If I am not mistaken, I believe McCullar graduated last year. If so, hard for me to blame him for not giving a shit about school.
Dickinson's major was "General Studies". Loosely translated for student athletes = I don't really give a shit about school. Just give a me a diploma.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 am Honestly mccullar was like an A+ pre injury.
Yes he was. And then a D or worse after the injury. Evens out to a B for me. If I knew for sure that he sat himself for draft purposes I'd give him even lower.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

The team made claims that they were playing for the post season. Lost day 2 of the Big 12 tournament and in the second round of the NCAA tournament, both in embarrassing fashion.

F.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 am The team made claims that they were playing for the post season. Lost day 2 of the Big 12 tournament and in the second round of the NCAA tournament, both in embarrassing fashion.

F.
As far as Bill Self Kansas seasons, yea, you might have to give this last one an F.
An F is still an A for 300ish D1 teams though.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 am The team made claims that they were playing for the post season. Lost day 2 of the Big 12 tournament and in the second round of the NCAA tournament, both in embarrassing fashion.

F.
Harsh B2L. I understand we have a higher standard to meet but are we judging according to the stated goal of the team or on what actually occurred during the entire season? There were a few stellar games where the Hawks looked like the could beat anyone in the country. I would at least give them a D. A C (average) for this program would be at a sweet 16 or elite 8.

If we put it in terms of post season I would say: sweet 16 - C-, elite 8 - C+ to B-,
final 4 - A-, NC game appearance A.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also why you can't give a season a grade solely on NCAA tourney.

There's no way i'm giving 2016 ( 33-5 lost to national champion in e8 thanks to the refs, 1st place B12 not shared, B12 conference champ ) a B-/C+.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:05 pm Also why you can't give a season a grade solely on NCAA tourney.

There's no way i'm giving 2016 ( 33-5 lost to national champion in e8 thanks to the refs, 1st place B12 not shared, B12 conference champ ) a B-/C+.
Agree.

The importance of the tournament (in relation to a season grade) varies from year to year.

This year it mattered a lot. Some years would still get B+/A- grades from me even with a 1st weekend exit.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Eff this past year’s team. In the A. With a D. Don’t you C? This past year is not what Kansas should B.