Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by pdub »

Well yea but there were other WR options there too that would have worked great with Rice, Kelce and Pacheco.

I just hope we don't reach now on tackle because we know we don't have a 3rd.
Mighta gotten a type of player like Rosengarten / Goncalves / Puni in the 3rd round.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

They can take an OT at the bottom of the 2nd round and be just fine.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My point is, if Suamataia is gone then you're probably reaching there.
Your Patrick Paul's, Rosengarten's, Goncalves's, Puni's, Coleman's are 3rd round guys and now we do not have a 3rd round pick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://twitter.com/MitchCumstein56/sta ... 4399502643

"Chiefs WR room is crazy
Hollywood Brown 4.27 40 yard dash
Xavier Worthy 4.21 40 yard dash
Rashee Rice 119 mph"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am My point is, if Suamataia is gone then you're probably reaching there.
Your Patrick Paul's, Rosengarten's, Goncalves's, Puni's, Coleman's are 3rd round guys and now we do not have a 3rd round pick.
Our pick is the last pick of the 2nd round. Picking a 3rd rounder as the last pick of the 2nd round is only a "reach" if you're getting graded by a random mock draft generator. This is real life football now, where teams address their needs when they have the chance and don't sweat 1 spot.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am My point is, if Suamataia is gone then you're probably reaching there.
Our pick is the last pick of the 2nd round. Picking a 3rd rounder as the last pick of the 2nd round is only a "reach" if you're getting graded by a random mock draft generator. This is real life football now, where teams address their needs when they have the chance and don't sweat 1 spot.
Couldn't agree more - it doesn't matter if it's a reach if Patrick Paul, etc. is a good player that fits what the Chiefs need. It's really not a reach to pick them if they wouldn't be there with your next pick. In an ideal world, would you trade back where you could grab the same player and pick up a pick or two? Sure, but in the end they'll take the highest rated player (maybe factoring in need) available and sleep easy no matter what Mel Kiper grades their picks at.

Do you think they're sweating the C- grade they got for drafting Mahomes?

Last bit - the guys on KCSN did a mock draft the other day and put Patrick Paul to the Chiefs at 32. You are saying he's a third rounder. It just shows the range of opinions on a player that taking him last in the second round probably isn't that big of a reach.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 am
Couldn't agree more - it doesn't matter if it's a reach if Patrick Paul, etc. is a good player that fits what the Chiefs need. It's really not a reach to pick them if they wouldn't be there with your next pick. In an ideal world, would you trade back where you could grab the same player and pick up a pick or two? Sure, but in the end they'll take the highest rated player (maybe factoring in need) available and sleep easy no matter what Mel Kiper grades their picks at.

Do you think they're sweating the C- grade they got for drafting Mahomes?

Last bit - the guys on KCSN did a mock draft the other day and put Patrick Paul to the Chiefs at 32. You are saying he's a third rounder. It just shows the range of opinions on a player that taking him last in the second round probably isn't that big of a reach.
Like I said, there are too many fans out there doing so many mock drafts that they think they are now knowledgeable.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I guess? But then you're wasting value.
Real life football very much includes a careful and analytical process to the value of your draft picks.
And the jump from pick 95 to 130 or whatever is very significant.

For instance, we would not have Leo Chenal on our team had we given up our 3rd in 2022.

And then on the opposite spectrum, just an example of this, last season we traded up in that very round for Wanya Morris when there was a decent shot of getting him in the 4th. We could have gotten Jordan Battle at safety at that position who was a value pick there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm
Real life football very much includes a careful and analytical process to the value of your draft picks.
"Wasting value" is a hypothetical that maters more to fan mock drafts than to an actual NFL team. Sure it's great to get perceived "value" but it is not as important as getting players you rank as your top targets at positions of need. Fans are a lot more cavalier with the whole "you could have just taken this other guy" than an NFL team is because fans just see them more as a ranking number than a player who the team has interviewed and assigned a desirability ranking to their scheme, roster and coaching staff,
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm
"Wasting value" is a hypothetical that maters more to fan mock drafts than to an actual NFL team. Sure it's great to get perceived "value" but it is not as important as getting players you rank as your top targets at positions of need. Fans are a lot more cavalier with the whole "you could have just taken this other guy" than an NFL team is because fans just see them more as a ranking number than a player who the team has interviewed and assigned a desirability ranking to their scheme, roster and coaching staff,
Fine but our team would have DK Metcalf, Trevon Diggs, Logan Wilson, DeAndre Hopkins, Orlando Brown ( or a 3rd round pick so let's say Devon Achane if the pick was mid 3rd ), Luke Godekeke and Jordan Battle on it right now instead of Mecole Hardman ( gone ), CEH, Willie Gay ( gone ), Jawaan Taylor, Wanya Morris and Skyy Moore in my hypothetical where I was upset with overreach picks and bad signings.

Of note, I really liked our 2022 draft ( and was on record here saying it several times ) so I'm not bitching for picks we trade up for that I like...but when you trade away a chance to get a guy on your draft bored that is ranked higher than the dude you may end up getting all because you think there's a chance ( and it was low ) that your 170 lb WR that no one was actually gonna draft before your pick is taken, well, I get to bitch on a message bored in a thread directly about the Chiefs offseason.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

Really easy to bitch about missed picks in hindsight, but the draft is a crapshoot. The players that are the most valuable before the draft are not the same ones that are most valuable a year later.

Remember N'Keal Harry? Pick 32 in the same draft DK Metcalf was 64 (without a trade up). If the teams knew for sure who was going to be great pro's this would be a more exact science like we like to talk about the mocks and scenarios. If Seattle thought Metcalf was so great, they would've moved up to get him. JJ Arcega-Whiteside was also drafted ahead of Metcalf - one pick before.

Metcalf was viewed as inflexible and a combine warrior at draft time in 2019 by a lot of analysts (and teams).

It's just pointless to pick apart decisions because someone better was picked later.
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm
pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm I guess? But then you're wasting value.
Fine but our team would have DK Metcalf, Trevon Diggs, Logan Wilson, DeAndre Hopkins, Orlando Brown ( or a 3rd round pick so let's say Devon Achane if the pick was mid 3rd ), Luke Godekeke and Jordan Battle on it right now instead of Mecole Hardman ( gone ), CEH, Willie Gay ( gone ), Jawaan Taylor, Wanya Morris and Skyy Moore in my hypothetical where I was upset with overreach picks and bad signings.

Of note, I really liked our 2022 draft ( and was on record here saying it several times ) so I'm not bitching for picks we trade up for that I like...but when you trade away a chance to get a guy on your draft bored that is ranked higher than the dude you may end up getting all because you think there's a chance ( and it was low ) that your 170 lb WR that no one was actually gonna draft before your pick is taken, well, I get to bitch on a message bored in a thread directly about the Chiefs offseason.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Really easy to bitch about missed picks in hindsight, but the draft is a crapshoot."

Right.
But I specifically wanted those players at their spots during the draft - much of which is documented on this bored.
I didn't want N'Keal Harry. I wanted DK Metcalf.

Receipts ( i couldn't find my Luke Goedeke post - I swore I talked him up here but it musta been via chat w buddies ):

viewtopic.php?p=49606#p49606

viewtopic.php?p=382529&hilit=jordan+battle#p382529

viewtopic.php?p=111949#p111949

viewtopic.php?p=111764#p111764

viewtopic.php?p=67161#p67161

viewtopic.php?p=323904#p323904

viewtopic.php?p=371182#p371182

viewtopic.php?p=354153&hilit=hopkins#p354153
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

Yes, we know all the picks you would have done differently. I can't believe you haven't landed an NFL GM job yet.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Found more receipts for you.

hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

After last years mess of a WR room I for sure thought WR #1. We just wasting Mahomes talent by not giving him weapons so don't like the pick swap but whatever. Now really have to go OT with the next pick. We have four picks 131,133,159 amd 173 to fill in.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 pm Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Found more receipts for you.

You've been providing those for years. We believe you, it's just getting old that you reroll them back out every draft. At this point, it's getting a little weird.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That works bc I’m a little weird.
And I’ll do it again if Legette or Adonai crush it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My pet peeve here with Veach is that the Chiefs need guys. Giving up hidden gems for one guy is a good way to lose the crap shoot.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:33 pm My pet peeve here with Veach is that the Chiefs need guys. Giving up hidden gems for one guy is a good way to lose the crap shoot.
Dude the Chiefs just won the SB. Every other team needs players. We want some we could use some but hell we don't need players. After the draft we still have cap money. We can do what ever we like. We would like a better Wr room...we got that....we could use OT....we got that .....the rest of the draft is fill. i think the next picks are IOL RB DB DT then we dip into FA .
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Chiefs let go of a starting LB, OL, Punter, CB, and are down two receivers. So need draft value too. I think KC gets more thru patient drafting than any other team.