Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Goodbye Hunter Dickinson

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 pm there seems to be a lot of short-term memory loss re: last year’s roster bad luck (x3)

though, perhaps it’s just willful ignorance
If you are including Arterio Morris as bad luck, Lol.
i am

lol?
Dude just did what he did before he came here. Definitely not bad luck. Poor decision making in terms of character assessment. Or, perhaps more likely, not paying it much mind to begin with.

Either of which, to me, are lol.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you?

"but does he impact winning?? So far he hasn't really"
REALLY?

"yet to be seen that those skills impact a team’s outcome"?
REALLY?

Tell that shit to Kentucky. 27 pts / 21 reb
Tell that shit to Tenn. 17 pts / 20 reb
Tell that shit to OU. 20 pts / 16 reb AND 24 pts / 14 reb / 5 blk
Tell that shit to TCU. 30 pts / 11 reb
Tell that shit to UConn. 15 pts / 9 reb / 4 blk
Tell that shit to Houston. 20 pts / 8 reb
Tell that shit to Samford. 19 pts / 20 reb / 4 blk

Better yet, tell that shit to Bill Self and then see/listen to what he has to say to you.
KU was a Top 5 team with the best resume in the nation before McCullar hurt his knee.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:35 pm I don’t like HD’s on-court personality. This leads to me not seeing his stats and influence the way those of you with this ‘short-term’ memory loss. Or willful negligence of his behavior. I dunno.

He’s just not enjoyable to watch as a Kansas player, IMO. Yep, gutter, that and 2.50 (or whatever it is now) will get you a bus pass.
The entire team was not fun to watch once McCullar got hurt. The whole end of the season just tainted the entire team.

It doesnt matter any more. We have better shooters and better depth and should be able to take advantage if HD gets doubled, unlike last year.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with some of you?

REALLY?

REALLY?

Better yet, tell that shit to Bill Self and then see/listen to what he has to say to you.
Tell that shit to Gonzaga, who put hunter on an island and worked his ass. And tell that to any player in the big 12 who got all the way to the rim with no weak side shot blocker rotating over
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Twocoach, your McCullar argument is suspect at best.

In the Ten games before McCullar got hurt, the team was 6-4. The first Ten after, 5-5. Lost the 11th to end the season.

It was evident l, before McCullar got hurt, that this group of players had peaked before Jan 1, a trait not familiar to us watching Self-coached teams.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I do agree with your last post regarding this coming season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm Twocoach, your McCullar argument is suspect at best.

In the Ten games before McCullar got hurt, the team was 6-4. The first Ten after, 5-5. Lost the 11th to end the season.

It was evident l, before McCullar got hurt, that this group of players had peaked before Jan 1, a trait not familiar to us watching Self-coached teams.
I think you have a different date on when his initial injury happened than is the case. The first game where he played despite having a sore knee was the January 27th game at Iowa State when KU entered the game 16-3. He really didn't practice after that point and KU promptly went in the toilet.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

3-2 in that chasm. Math is the same. Team already had stalled from a progression standpoint.

I’m not trying to say that the team wasn’t better with McCullar 100%, they were, and his loss, or diminished production when they (for whatever reason) decided to keep playing him could have influenced the outcome of some games, the results before don’t point to that, exclusively.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

We won games early in the season because nobody knows what the hell they are doing yet and we had 4 really good starters that found a way

As teams gelled, we got exposed as having awkward pieces and playing in a good conference, teams found ways to beat us much more regularly than we are used to

Mccullar injury didn't help, but I don't know that things would have gone a ton different. We were struggling and our weaknesses existed with or without mccullar
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm

REALLY?

REALLY?

Tell that shit to Gonzaga, who put hunter on an island and worked his ass. And tell that to any player in the big 12 who got all the way to the rim with no weak side shot blocker rotating over

Read the quotes. That was what I was referencing.
Is he a perfect player? Nope. Does he have flaws in his game? Sure. Heck, I'll go so far as to say AT TIMES he probably does deserve SOME ridicule but for people to say the shit that I put in quotes, to me, that's just plain ignorance.
Of course he had an impact on KU winning games.

P.S. The dude was considered good enough to be a 2nd team All-American and 1st Team Big 12.
And KU fans prefer to shit on him than praise him? That's weak.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

As an individual he’s 2nd team all American and all big 12. Yep.

I still don’t like him. Or think his skills are essential to a winning team. In fact, his teams haven’t won, relative to expectation.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Last few seasons

21-22: 34-6 (14-4)
22-23: 28-8 (13-5)
23-24: 23-11 (10-8)

In hunter's one season here, KU had the worst results of the bill self era. This team had the fewest wins, most losses, worst winning % (total number of games per season vary slightly, but this past team was worst in all categories) and worst conference record and finish of any bill self team in his 20+ years here

That is why a lot of us feel hunter doesn't impact winning
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Was it all hunter's fault we sucked last year? No. We didn't have the best pieces to compliment his game. But the biggest impact he had on our teams wasn't impacting our success. He changed the way we played, we played slower, our offense struggled more than usually, and our defense was nowhere near as good as normal.

Last year had potential to be an above average defense with KJ, dajuan, and mccullar all being high level defenders. But having a center that can anchor the defense and rotate over to block shots is pretty vital to an elite defense. Hunter has not shown the desire or ability to do that
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm Was it all hunter's fault we sucked last year? No. We didn't have the best pieces to compliment his game. But the biggest impact he had on our teams wasn't impacting our success. He changed the way we played, we played slower, our offense struggled more than usually, and our defense was nowhere near as good as normal.

Last year had potential to be an above average defense with KJ, dajuan, and mccullar all being high level defenders. But having a center that can anchor the defense and rotate over to block shots is pretty vital to an elite defense. Hunter has not shown the desire or ability to do that
Will next year's offense (that still has HD) be faster and better? Yes.

Self force fed HD once it was clear that no one else could do what was needed of them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:17 pm Last few seasons

In hunter's one season here, KU had the worst results of the bill self era. This team had the fewest wins, most losses, worst winning % (total number of games per season vary slightly, but this past team was worst in all categories) and worst conference record and finish of any bill self team in his 20+ years here

That's because fans are irrational when things don't go well. The team sucked and HD was on the team so some angry fans who don't like HD blame it on him.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:33 pm
randylahey wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:17 pm Last few seasons

That's because fans are irrational when things don't go well. The team sucked and HD was on the team so some angry fans who don't like HD blame it on him.
yes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

This is me. Fuck HD.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm
This is me. Fuck HD.
KU didn't have enough guys to make a deep tourney run so I am not mad as if KU missed some golden chance at a natty. Next year, KU legit has that chance.so HD better fucking deliver.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Honestly I think getting KJ off the floor some more will help hunter and our offense a ton. Clemence and storr playing some of those minutes at the 4 will open the court up a lot when KJ rests
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:52 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm
This is me. Fuck HD.
KU didn't have enough guys to make a deep tourney run so I am not mad as if KU missed some golden chance at a natty. Next year, KU legit has that chance.so HD better fucking deliver.
This point last year we were preseason #1 and fans expected to be title contenders

Nothing is guaranteed, but I do think we have a lot better roster. More depth shooting length and experience

But several of the problems that ailed us last season still exist. One is hunter is slow and can't guard shit. I don't know that we fixed that. the back up centers would either be bidunga (raw), kj (tiny) or clemence.