Iced tea

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Iced tea

Post by ousdahl »

Anyone got any recs?

As far as a good tea to serve iced, besides the standard issue Lipton type

Preferably herbal/decaf, as tea is what I switch to once I’ve had too much coffee, but open to suggestions either way
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Iced tea

Post by pdub »

You seem more like a Yerba Mate kinda dude.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha, I had a Yerba phase.

But haven’t in a while.

If I want a drink that’s hot and caffeinated and kinda tastes like ass, I just stick to coffee any more.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You can drink iced Mate.
Dude I knew in college would carry iced mate around in a bulls horn.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Damn, good suggestion, might have to try that

And by “that” I mostly just mean the bulls horn
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if they ever find out unsweetened iced tea is bad for you, I'm fucked. I bet I drink a minimum of 2 gallons a week of the stuff. Probably more.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

can’t beat sun tea, sugar or not

8 standard bags/gallon
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Never liked tea that much, which is good, because it contributes to the formation of kidney stones and ain't nobody wants another one of those!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:49 am Damn, good suggestion, might have to try that

In Paraguay, cold yerba mate is known as terere', always infused with herbs, often mint or a combination of many herbs and served in a guampa, a hollowed out natural horn from a cow or bull.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:12 pm Never liked tea that much, which is good, because it contributes to the formation of kidney stones and ain't nobody wants another one of those!
terrific. thanks for that.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:15 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:49 am Damn, good suggestion, might have to try that

In Paraguay, cold yerba mate is known as terere', always infused with herbs, often mint or a combination of many herbs and served in a guampa, a hollowed out natural horn from a cow or bull.
well, now I want a guampa.

although sounds like a powder horn from the old muzzle loader or flintlock days.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the lab i was a part of at BYU had quite a few South Americans, and they drank the shit out out of mate

due to the coffee restriction, a number of us gringos partook as well

not my jam, personally
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:12 pm Never liked tea that much, which is good, because it contributes to the formation of kidney stones and ain't nobody wants another one of those!
I have consumed enormous quantities of tea my whole life, Mrs. S-C-U-M, and I have never had any issues and neither has Mr. Neutron.

The NIH sees no issues:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8708000/
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

kidney stones from tea?

Can't we have any nice things?

but that says black tea. Like I said, I mostly stick to herbal.

Mint can be good. I like hibiscus as a tea flavor too.

If I want something more earthy maybe a chamomile. Or roiboos. It's like Yerba mate for roibois.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm
I have consumed enormous quantities of tea my whole life, Mrs. S-C-U-M, and I have never had any issues and neither has Mr. Neutron.

The NIH sees no issues:
And since Keith Richards has never had lung cancer, I guess smoking cigarettes isn't a risk factor...

From your article: ...No significantly increased risk for kidney stone formation could be derived from the ingestion of black tea in normal subjects. Further research is needed to evaluate the impact of black tea consumption in kidney stone patients with intestinal hyperabsorption of oxalate.

I regret I was imprecise.

My earlier statement should have included a disclaimer pointing out that people like me who are prone to hyperabsorption of dietary oxalates, and thus have hyperoxaluria*, appear to be prone to the formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones. The formation of kidney stones is multifactorial and not completely understood, but in addition to dietary oxalates, intestinal flora, intestinal inflammation like that found in ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, (which I have), among other things, appear to be contributing factors.

Hyperoxaluria is a state of disordered metabolism characterized by an increased urinary excretion of oxalate. The normal daily oxalate excretion in healthy individuals ranges between 10-40 mg per 24 h. Concentrations exceeding 40-45 mg per 24 h are considered as clinical hyperoxaluria.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

dammit. I drink gallons of black tea and almost no water. I should really do something about that.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:27 am dammit. I drink gallons of black tea and almost no water. I should really do something about that.
If you've been drinking gallons of black tea for years and haven't had a problem, chances are likely you won't.

Not that it wouldn't be a good idea to increase your water intake.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:09 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:37 pm

The NIH sees no issues:
And since Keith Richards has never had lung cancer, I guess smoking cigarettes isn't a risk factor...

From your article: ...No significantly increased risk for kidney stone formation could be derived from the ingestion of black tea in normal subjects. Further research is needed to evaluate the impact of black tea consumption in kidney stone patients with intestinal hyperabsorption of oxalate.

I regret I was imprecise.

My earlier statement should have included a disclaimer pointing out that people like me who are prone to hyperabsorption of dietary oxalates, and thus have hyperoxaluria*, appear to be prone to the formation of calcium oxalate kidney stones. The formation of kidney stones is multifactorial and not completely understood, but in addition to dietary oxalates, intestinal flora, intestinal inflammation like that found in ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, (which I have), among other things, appear to be contributing factors.

Hyperoxaluria is a state of disordered metabolism characterized by an increased urinary excretion of oxalate. The normal daily oxalate excretion in healthy individuals ranges between 10-40 mg per 24 h. Concentrations exceeding 40-45 mg per 24 h are considered as clinical hyperoxaluria.

Oh. I thought you might be hypo-oxaluric by proxy.