The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

They're not officially in CO, but there are plenty of purported sightings, and even a "click here to report grizzly bear sightings" button on the DOW's website. But odds are as many sightings as anything are just a brown or blonde or cinnamon looking black bear. Or even just like, yall's goldendoodle.

Grizzlies in the San Juan range particularly bear a Sasquatch-like lore to them, except there's actually some reality to it.

The last griz was officially killed there in iirc...1953. By a professional trapper hired by the federal gummint, and grizzlies were declared extirpated from the state.

But then in 1979 a hunting guide got mauled by a bear. Got worked over good, but somehow managed to fight it off by stabbing it in the neck with an arrow.

DOW did a necropsy and said, you guys, this bear is a freaking grizzly. And not only is it a freaking grizzly, it's a sow that has at some point nursed cubs.

So then they went and visited the mauled up hunting guide in the ICU and read him his miranda rights for killing an endangered species.

I highly recommend the book entitled Ghost Grizzlies.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Last month, the Heritage Foundation—a rightwing think tank—released Project 2025, a comprehensive blueprint that would guide the policy transition for a potential second Donald Trump presidency—including public lands management. The document maps out a plan to gut the Antiquities Act, which would allow the government to turn some of our most scenic and important public lands over to energy extraction interests…

jfc
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 am
Last month, the Heritage Foundation—a rightwing think tank—released Project 2025, a comprehensive blueprint that would guide the policy transition for a potential second Donald Trump presidency—including public lands management. The document maps out a plan to gut the Antiquities Act, which would allow the government to turn some of our most scenic and important public lands over to energy extraction interests…

jfc
This…if NOTHING else, should scare the fuck out of people
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:06 am

jfc
This…if NOTHING else, should scare the fuck out of people
it would be, quite literally, the gov’t stealing from the people

these lands are set aside for EVERYONE to enjoy and use responsibly
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Stealing from little people is the way of the GOP and their fanboys holding the "ruin the planet and shoot my dog!" signs.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Orangutan, Heal Thyself
For the first time, scientists observed a primate in the wild treating a wound with a plant that has medicinal properties.

Scientists observed a wild male orangutan repeatedly rubbing chewed-up leaves of a medicinal plant on a facial wound in a forest reserve in Indonesia.

It was the first known observation of a wild animal using a plant to treat a wound, and adds to evidence that humans are not alone in using plants for medicinal purposes.

The male orangutan, Rakus, lives in the Gunung Leuser National Park on the island of Sumatra and is thought to be around 35 years old. For years researchers have followed orangutans like him on his travels through the forest, threading his way through the canopy in search of fruits to eat.

Scientists within the Suaq Balimbing research area of the park first noticed a wound on his face on June 25, 2022, when they saw his self-medication behavior begin.

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, even fucking orangutans getting free healthcare, but still not Americans.

...sorry, pols bored joke, I know.

For real tho, that's a super cool story.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

"Northern lights" Chicago area style - photos that a couple of friends took.....

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I saw them last night too....pretty fucking cool. Made me feel pretty small. Really awesome, and insane to see them this far south.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

one of the cooler astronomical things I've ever seen. Magnificent, out here where there are no houses or street lights they were bright enough to wake me up. I had no idea they ate even happening.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:06 am one of the cooler astronomical things I've ever seen. Magnificent, out here where there are no houses or street lights they were bright enough to wake me up. I had no idea they ate even happening.
"they were bright enough to wake me up"

Wow! I've never seen them.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It was an epic magnetic sun storm.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:49 am
TDub wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:06 am one of the cooler astronomical things I've ever seen. Magnificent, out here where there are no houses or street lights they were bright enough to wake me up. I had no idea they ate even happening.

I guess I don't know if they actually woke me up, but I woke up and wondered why there was so much light coming thru the windows. Either way, incredible really.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 pm It was an epic magnetic sun storm.
again tonight as well it seems
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:49 am

I guess I don't know if they actually woke me up, but I woke up and wondered why there was so much light coming thru the windows. Either way, incredible really.
You seem too young to blame it on the effects of an enlarged prostate, so I'd go with the original explanation...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:03 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:55 pm It was an epic magnetic sun storm.
again tonight as well it seems
Bill Nigh the Science Guy was just on CNN, and said if you still have a pair of the eclipse glasses and look at the sun right now, you can see the solar flares leaving the surface of the sun. He did say he only glanced, but thought the flares would be even more obvious to people with younger eyes/better vision.

Wish I had a pair.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley, I would say grow a pair, but it seems unnecessary.