Uncle Joe

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by TDub »

I'm not saying it's Bidens fault.

You can put any graph you want out there.

But you live on a different planet if you think we're doing great economy/inflation wise and it's not having a significant negative impact onmost American households.

These types of threads remind me of the sports threads where people use and manipulate individual stats to say whatever they want to support their argument. Regardless of the bigger picture.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:34 am I'm not saying it's Bidens fault.

But you live on a different planet if you think we're doing great economy/inflation wise and it's not having a significant negative impact onmost American households.

These types of threads remind me of the sports threads where people use and manipulate individual stats to say whatever they want to support their argument. Regardless of the bigger picture.
Reading is fundamental:
Shirley wrote:Sorry you're hurting Gutter. There's no doubt inflation has been taking a toll on everyone...
Have people forgotten we had a pandemic? That the manufacture of goods and supply chains were disrupted on an international basis?

Why would you say it's "Biden's fault""? Is the fact that inflation is higher in nearly the entire rest of the world than in the US because of the US budget deficit?

Is it Biden's fault that gas prices are higher even tho the US is producing more oil during his administration than it ever has in history, or could it be because OPEC+ has limited output to keep the price up and Russia is producing less because of the war in Ukraine?

Egg prices? Is it Biden's fault that hundreds of millions of chickens in the US were put down because of bird flu?

Is it Biden's fault that we've had droughts, so Gutter is paying more for hamburger?:

A diminished cattle supply combined with higher input costs at farms and ranches around the country are pushing most cuts of meat to record levels...?

“It’s economics 101—either a change in demand or supply needs to happen to ease beef prices. The supply situation isn’t expected to improve until 2025 as drought conditions continue in many states and the herd rebuilding takes time. Higher beef imports will help ground beef supplies but won’t be able to offset shortage of premium beef cuts.

...Ten-year averages of the price per beef were lowest in 2013 at around $5 per pound, spiked in the spring of 2020 due to the pandemic to over $7.50 per pound, and are now breaching $8 per as cattle herds in the U.S. are at their lowest numbers in decades due to substantial and prolonged drought in key cattle states like Texas, Kansas, and Missouri.

To build the herd, ranchers must keep the herd and slaughter less cows to prepare for future seasons, driving supply down. As labor strikes and driver shortages have ravaged shipping and distribution for many suppliers, the costs to move that diminished supply have been pushed onto farmers and down into the consumer economy. Meanwhile, hay supplies were hit by intense drought in 2022 as dry hay stocks dwindled to almost 70-year lows at 71.9 million tons, when the average price of a pound of sirloin was just 61 cents.

By posting the graph that I did, I wasn't saying things are great in the US, but I was responding to Gutter's
statement:
Gutter wrote:You say "no nation is better off right now than we are". I could say wrong, but you have your reason/s for believing that - and I simply don't believe it is true.

Because it's wrong, things are much worse in many parts of the world, whether you want to believe it or not.

Shit happens, and sometimes that shit isn't anyone's fault, it just is.

The pandemic and the resulting inflation wasn't Biden's fault as much as Republicans would like for you to think it is, or as much as low-information people who lack the emotional maturity to appreciate cause and effect want to believe it. (Not referring to you.)

/rant
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Righteous rant. Trump caused a lot of this and gets no pass. He is a pants shitting smelly SOB who screwed things up and arguably has killed millions now thanks to his antics empowering Russia, criminals worlwide, and pandemics. He is the most goofy, incompetent, immature pathologically lying ignoramus in American history. So quit bitching about the inflation he caused like Biden did it. We are lucky as Hell that Mango the Moron lost. That he is still vexing us is criminal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I don't think the US economy is great right now but I do feel that it is much better than it was projected to be after the complete cluster fuck that was COVID. We were projected to be in a recession right now. We aren't. Is everything awesome? No, I wish grocery prices and gas prices were lower. But good grief, compared to the impending disaster that reasonable, knowledgeable people who are paid to study such things felt that we were headed towards, the US economy is doing rather well compared to what other leaders around the world have steered their nations into.

Do I think the economy would be better right now if Trump won the last election? No, I do not.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Trumps “trade war with China” fucked this country.

It was indicative of his overall lack of knowledge regarding economics….a product of his racist leanings…and a stupid fucking idea.

In other words, the Mich’s and Randy’s of this country ate it up.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:53 pm

I don't think the US economy is great right now but I do feel that it is much better than it was projected to be after the complete cluster fuck that was COVID. We were projected to be in a recession right now. We aren't. Is everything awesome? No, I wish grocery prices and gas prices were lower. But good grief, compared to the impending disaster that reasonable, knowledgeable people who are paid to study such things felt that we were headed towards, the US economy is doing rather well compared to what other leaders around the world have steered their nations into.

Do I think the economy would be better right now if Trump won the last election? No, I do not.
I feel very fortunate to have put my household in a position where getting 2 limes for a dollar….when I used to get 4, isn’t putting unnecessary stress on my retirement plans
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this is, has been, and continues to be the problem.

every single thing said is countered with...its better than Trump.

Ok? yes? he's a piece if shit unfit for office....of course we're better off without him in the seat. That doesn't really mean shit.

Ever since 2016 nothing can be discussed without it reverting to a trump vs non trump team poop throwing shitshow and it's fucking dumb. I can only hope that at some point people quit using trump as a barometer for....anything....and we can return to normal conversations without his name.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

For the record, I never mentioned "Trump" once in my replies to Gutter's or your post.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:24 am Sorry you're hurting Gutter. There's no doubt inflation has been taking a toll on everyone, but despite how you might feel about it, telling yourself things that aren't true while satisfying, is kind of silly:
Gutter wrote:...You say "no nation is better off right now than we are". I could say wrong, but you have your reason/s for believing that - and I simply don't believe it is true...
International Monetary Fund Inflation rate, average consumer prices

Ok, I admit I am not smart enough to know what all that means.
I see over 40 countries with "no data" and I'm seeing the USA coming in with a number of 2.9 - and I see a lot of other countries coming in with lower numbers.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Overlander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:55 pm

I feel very fortunate to have put my household in a position where getting 2 limes for a dollar….when I used to get 4, isn’t putting unnecessary stress on my retirement plans
I'm in a position that thanks to money I have in my 401k and "funds", I could retire and probably live the rest of my life comfortably - assuming I don't have another 30 years to live.
I don't count on that money while I am still employed.

I am currently on a budget that I have set for myself. I'm not going to say what my current salary is and how much money I have in my bank accounts but forgetting that and my retirement savings, I go beyond my budget each and every month because frankly, the cost of necessities has increased more than my salary has.

My guess is the average US salary is around 60k a year. Meaning there are people making a lot more than that and people making considerably less than that but let's go with 60k for person A.
I won't even include income taxes and say they clear 60K a year.
Person A has a family of 5. I'll go with what I think are the averages. Obviously I may be off but I do think I'm probably pretty close.
Rent or Mortgage of 2000 a month = 24K a year.
Groceries/food/toiletries/medications at 1.5k per month = 18K per year
Car/s (including payments, gas, maintenance, parking, fees, etc.) and/or transportation costs 1k per month = 12k per year.
Utilities (including gas/electricity, cable/internet, phones, etc.) and house upkeep (including furniture, sheets, towels, cleaning, etc.) - 1k per month = 12K per year.
GUESS WHAT!?!?
We are already at 66K - without clothing, entertainment, travel, etc.
So, ignorant me has NO fricking idea how people survive in this country on an "average" salary living an "average" life.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i have zero sympathy if you’ve got that many kids and are complaining about money

and gutter, you eat out regularly? go to concerts regularly? attend sporting events regularly?

sounds like you need to adjust your priorities if you’re complaining about finances
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gosh, who would think that anti-worker, anti-health care, anti-union, anti-safety net policies of Libertarians and Republicans could keep people working forever? Literally everything Gutter said is an indictment of post-Great Society GOP "policies." Come to small town Kansas to retire. Buy an affordable home. Garden. Restore furniture. Play and record music.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:53 pm Trumps “trade war with China” fucked this country.

It was indicative of his overall lack of knowledge regarding economics….a product of his racist leanings…and a stupid fucking idea.

In other words, the Mich’s and Randy’s of this country ate it up.
hat's something I left out of the rant. Of course, his kickbacks and trademarks were unaffected.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: whether Uncle Joe benefits from Israel wiping Palestine off the planet and the subsequent protests, I don’t think he does either.

But, I’m guessing the remedy will be some “ceasefire,” even tho it’ll prob be mostly meaningless rhetoric, but Biden will try to sell it as an accomplishment anyway?

Within that “meaningless,” I just don’t see Biden like also rethinking his weapons supply to Israel.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:42 am Re: whether Uncle Joe benefits from Israel wiping Palestine off the planet and the subsequent protests, I don’t think he does either.

But, I’m guessing the remedy will be some “ceasefire,” even tho it’ll prob be mostly meaningless rhetoric, but Biden will try to sell it as an accomplishment anyway?

Within that “meaningless,” I just don’t see Biden like also rethinking his weapons supply to Israel.
https://israelpolicyforum.org/wp-conten ... ements.pdf

They had 9 ceasefires in 2014 alone. Wash, rinse, repeat. We are vain and foolish if we think that we can broker a long-lasting peace agreement so long as a terrorist organization is the governing body of Palestine.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

There wasn't a good thread to post this in, but since Biden gets blamed for everything, I thought I'd post it here.

Rent is skyrocketing and home buying is out of reach for millions. One big reason why? Wall Street. Let me explain.

How Wall Street Priced You Out of a Home | Robert Reich
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

left wing, right wing.....its all the same bird
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

too much lean on the left we fly in circles, too much lean to the right...circles.

and none if it matters because the all us little field mice below the bird can do is hide and scatter and hope it's not our time yet.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:42 am
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 024-05-07/

"U.S. President Joe Biden's administration paused a shipment of weapons to Israel last week in opposition to apparent moves by the Israelis to invade the southern Gaza city of Rafah, a senior administration official said on Tuesday."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh hey!

How about that.

He’s pretty much anti-war by now.