We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by KUTradition »

honesty and integrity are traits that are no longer valued…from message boards to the oval office, and seemingly everywhere in between

fuck this country and the majority of those living in it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:24 am honesty and integrity are traits that are no longer valued…from message boards to the oval office, and seemingly everywhere in between

Honesty, integrity, and even the barest-of-bones giving-a-fuck about how one's actions affect others.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:49 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:24 am honesty and integrity are traits that are no longer valued…from message boards to the oval office, and seemingly everywhere in between

Honesty, integrity, and even the barest-of-bones giving-a-fuck about how one's actions affect others.
yes
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Never be so cynical as to let evil win. Even if it requires pulling out your own femur, club to death those who ran down freedom.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sparko, you ok, man?
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:45 pm Sparko, you ok, man?
If we go to war like Overlander is predicting, I want Sparko in my fox hole.

(As long as he promises to only pull out his own femur.)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:58 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:45 pm Sparko, you ok, man?
If we go to war like Overlander is predicting, I want Sparko in my fox hole.

(As long as he promises to only pull out his own femur.)
He should be in his P-51.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For real now…

Do you guys think Ronald Reagan is in hell waiting for heaven to trickle down?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This pretty much sums it up (keeping in mind the dozens if not HUNDREDS of lawsuits that have been dropkicked into the Sun for lack of evidence).
Speaker Mike Johnson: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that's easily provable. We don't have that number."
https://x.com/atrupar/status/1788231185 ... q_-8Yt1KMA

I would suggest there are a great many things one might know, intuitively. But that gross statistics are not one of them.

It certainly is a neat new R buzz phrase though - might end up in the pantheon with “just asking questions” or even “I’ll tell you in two weeks.”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what in the absolute fuck?!?!

…Only a few days earlier a senior Carroll administrator had advised McGuirk and her colleagues to balance any classroom books depicting the horrors of the Holocaust by also providing titles written from an “opposing” perspective.

“What?!” one teacher said, incredulous.
“How do you give opposing views on the Holocaust?” said another.

“Believe me,” the administrator responded through the shocked commotion. “That’s come up.”

Another teacher wondered aloud if she would have to pull down the children’s classic “Number the Stars” by Lois Lowry, or other historical novels that tell the story of the Holocaust from the perspective of its victims. Was she supposed to find a story told from the perspective of Nazis? Or one from the point of view of Holocaust deniers? Should they also balance accounts about the horrors of slavery by adding books written from the perspective of white supremacists?…

(tejas)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, to be fair, who knows how many posters here would be like, “but if they didn’t want the camps then why’d they stage the Warsaw ghetto uprising?! Things would have been so much more peaceful if they just accepted the ghetto. But they killed Germans there, ya know!!!!”
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The first two minutes are stunning! Her refusal to answer the question is impressive. South Dakota must be soooo proud of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THiQN7psSBo
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

japhy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:34 pm The first two minutes are stunning! Her refusal to answer the question is impressive. South Dakota must be soooo proud of her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THiQN7psSBo
As card carrying members of the He-Man, Woman Haters Club, aren't we supposed to like women who have no shame?

Asking for an incel.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I don't think I've seen anyone talk more and say less.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:20 am This pretty much sums it up (keeping in mind the dozens if not HUNDREDS of lawsuits that have been dropkicked into the Sun for lack of evidence).
Speaker Mike Johnson: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that's easily provable. We don't have that number."
https://x.com/atrupar/status/1788231185 ... q_-8Yt1KMA

I would suggest there are a great many things one might know, intuitively. But that gross statistics are not one of them.

It certainly is a neat new R buzz phrase though - might end up in the pantheon with “just asking questions” or even “I’ll tell you in two weeks.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Rep. Lieu serves one of the districts I grew up in, and a childhood friend of mine worked for him for a long time. He would absolutely be on my short list for the classic “dinner with ten living people” question. Not sure he’d make the final cut, but.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 pm Rep. Lieu serves one of the districts I grew up in, and a childhood friend of mine worked for him for a long time. He would absolutely be on my short list for the classic “dinner with ten living people” question. Not sure he’d make the final cut, but.
He seems like a great guy, with a good sense of humor.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 pm Rep. Lieu serves one of the districts I grew up in, and a childhood friend of mine worked for him for a long time. He would absolutely be on my short list for the classic “dinner with ten living people” question. Not sure he’d make the final cut, but.
But not quite good enough for Fish to pick up the dinner tab. I'll have him as one of the 99 tied for 10th place.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

He ain't wrong:

May 9, 2024-Republicans in Congress conducting these antisemitims hearings do not care about antisemitism. It is just peformative partisan outrage, but the responses given by some of the people being questioned are nonetheless concerning.

Mitchell Minute Antisemitism Hearing in Congress
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:20 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:12 pm
But not quite good enough for Fish to pick up the dinner tab. I'll have him as one of the 99 tied for 10th place.
fish has standards!
Anand Giridharadas