Charges

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Charges

Post by KUTradition »

i wonder what the cost to tax payers would be per hour
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wonder if the judge really means it. This time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:33 am i wonder what the cost to tax payers would be per hour
Worth every penny until he is no longer a threat.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:43 am Wonder if the judge really means it. This time.
^^^

Right?!

Why does Trump continue to get such a long leash? Who else can get away with violating gag orders TEN times?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:43 am Wonder if the judge really means it. This time.
^^^

Right?!

Why does Trump continue to get such a long leash? Who else can get away with violating gag orders TEN times?
Not that I think this is the primary impediment, but it's a logistical nightmare, what with his secret service detail, etc., etc. Plus, for multiple reasons no judge wants to be the one and only person who has ever sent a former president to jail, not to mention the precedent it creates.

Separate from that, like fascists before him, it will feed Trump's victimization/grievance meme. "I'm taking a bullet but I'm willing to do it for you because the Dems have weaponized the Justice Department, the Deep State is out to get us with their immigration replacement plan, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah."

Wash, rinse, repeat, ad nauseam.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:55 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm
^^^

Right?!

Not that I think this is the primary impediment, but it's a logistical nightmare, what with his secret service detail, etc., etc. Plus, for multiple reasons no judge wants to be the one and only person who has ever sent a former president to jail, not to mention the precedent it creates.

Separate from that, like fascists before him, it will feed Trump's victimization/grievance meme. "I'm taking a bullet but I'm willing to do it for you because the Dems have weaponized the Justice Department, the Deep State is out to get us with their immigration replacement plan, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah."

Wash, rinse, repeat, ad nauseam.
This is all true.

But so is this: letting all of this stuff result in applying the law differently to Trump than to other defendants is, itself, corrosive to the rule of law.

Dead horse, but - this is what's so heartbreaking over 14A-3 getting swept away by a "conservative" Court. The whole POINT of it was to cover the exact scenario where a traitorous madman has enough people under his spell to have a shot at being elected to office again.

Our forebears tried to protect us, and we pissed on the Constitution and all who've died for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

”Mr. Trump its important you understand the last thing I want to do is put you in jail. You are the former president of the United States and possibly the next president as well," Judge Juan Merchan says.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I kinda wonder if both pubs and dems have some strategic desire to keep Trump around and just viable enough, in some “useful idiot” kinda way.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Whoa, Stormy is going to testify this morning. Wish there was video.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:57 am I kinda wonder if both Xi and Putin have some strategic desire to keep Trump around and just viable enough, in some “useful idiot” kinda way.
Fixed.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:11 am Whoa, Stormy is going to testify this morning. Wish there was video.
She will probably wear clothes.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:13 am
Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:11 am Whoa, Stormy is going to testify this morning. Wish there was video.
She will probably wear clothes.
99 with the #buzzkill
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Trump posted this earlier this morning, left it up for ~ 30 minutes, then deleted it:

Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:13 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:57 am I kinda wonder if both Xi and Putin have some strategic desire to keep Trump around and just viable enough, in some “useful idiot” kinda way.
Fixed.
dangit.

I thought more pubs in the sense they don't have anyone else among the GOP with the kind of cult-of-personality celebrity star appeal who can rile up the folks at the mall quite like Trump

and dems in the sense they view Trump as easier to defeat than some potential other candidate

but if there's validity to your imperial boogeymen theory, it makes it even more mind boggling that no American authorities have actually brought the hammer down on Trump yet
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but, largely related to the imperial boogeymen thing, and this thread generally...I found this tweeter thread interesting:

https://x.com/SethAbramson/status/1787543910509666332
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:20 am Trump posted this earlier this morning, left it up for ~ 30 minutes, then deleted it:

Stormy weather.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:20 am
Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:13 am
Fixed.
dangit.

I thought more pubs in the sense they don't have anyone else among the GOP with the kind of cult-of-personality celebrity star appeal who can rile up the folks at the mall quite like Trump

and dems in the sense they view Trump as easier to defeat than some potential other candidate

but if there's validity to your imperial boogeymen theory, it makes it even more mind boggling that no American authorities have actually brought the hammer down on Trump yet
...you might look around, you know, this very thread.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:22 am but, largely related to the imperial boogeymen thing, and this thread generally...I found this tweeter thread interesting:

Linking to an author of Seth Abramson's quality helps to rehabilitate your credibility.

This is a brief thread from a NYT-bestselling Trump biographer on what everyone—literally everyone—is missing about the 34 felonies Donald Trump committed to win the 2016 presidential election. This will change how you understand the 2016 election cycle.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading back through this thread, I can't find anywhere that Mich or 99 deny having had a relationship with Stormy Daniels. On the other hand, Donald Trump does.

Coincidence?
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:15 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:22 am but, largely related to the imperial boogeymen thing, and this thread generally...I found this tweeter thread interesting:

Linking to an author of Seth Abramson's quality helps to rehabilitate your credibility.

This is a brief thread from a NYT-bestselling Trump biographer on what everyone—literally everyone—is missing about the 34 felonies Donald Trump committed to win the 2016 presidential election. This will change how you understand the 2016 election cycle.
Should be required reading.