NBA draft

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: NBA draft

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 pm I'll believe it when I see it for Furphy. Mock drafts are fun though.

I think KJ Adams is a more viable NBA player right now than Furphy. At least KJ could defend multiple positions.

Furphy does nothing at an NBA level other than make wide open 3s.
LOLLLLLL. A 6'7 guy with absolutely no jumpshot as a viable nba guy?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:06 pm
DeletedUser wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:50 pm I'll believe it when I see it for Furphy. Mock drafts are fun though.

I think KJ Adams is a more viable NBA player right now than Furphy. At least KJ could defend multiple positions.

LOLLLLLL. A 6'7 guy with absolutely no jumpshot as a viable nba guy?
They're rare, but they exist. Ausar Thompson is 6'7 and shot 18.6% from 3 this season.

And fwiw, I don't think Kj is a viable NBA guy either. At the time I posted that, I was simply saying I thought he was "more viable" at that moment than Furphy. If you had to throw one into an NBA game and play them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually I'd be pretty pleased if we got 18.6% from 3 outta KJ this season
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Well the Thompson twins are freakishly athletic guard prospects who are young and there is hope they develop a shot

Kj isn't 19 nor a guard
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'll be shocked if either of them play meaningful minutes for an NBA team.
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:39 pm Well the Thompson twins are freakishly athletic guard prospects who are young and there is hope they develop a shot

Kj isn't 19 nor a guard
I get it. But you mentioned 6'7 guys who can't shoot, so I was curious if I could find many in the league right now.

Shooting is almost a prerequisite in today's NBA it seems. There aren't many complete non shooters or non offensive threats like there were back in the day.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree with Illy that KJ would be better in the NBA at this exact moment than Furphy but not in the future. ( ie I have to play a seven game series and start one of them 30 minutes a game right at this very moment )

Furphy got burnt to a crisp all season on defense and once teams started realizing the dude could play he got more defensive attention and disappeared for stretches.

You could more easily hide KJ on offense ( though he could get putbacks and pick and roll lobs ) and wouldn’t need to on defense.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Same shit I say too often when it comes to playing defense in the NBA. I have seen guys improve dramatically. I say that based on Scottie Pippen, who went from being a not very good defender to being one of the best defenders in the league in a matter of a couple of seasons. Of course Furphy will never be Scottie Pippen on defense and heck, Johnny Furphy may not see much if any NBA action, but I have little doubt he can improve his defense and be a "fair" (not terrible and not great) defender on the floor if/when he plays.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think he can get better for sure.
He was a sieve this last season.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 am
randylahey wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:39 pm Well the Thompson twins are freakishly athletic guard prospects who are young and there is hope they develop a shot

Kj isn't 19 nor a guard
I get it. But you mentioned 6'7 guys who can't shoot, so I was curious if I could find many in the league right now.

Shooting is almost a prerequisite in today's NBA it seems. There aren't many complete non shooters or non offensive threats like there were back in the day.
You did manage to find 1, I didn't expect it lol. Good job.

Yes 1-4 has to be able to shoot, and half the centers in the league are shooting 3s now
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KJ Adams isn't going to play in the NBA, come on.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If we wouldn’t need to hide KJ on defense in the NBA, then let’s just use him as a 5 in college
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

randylahey wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:00 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:26 am

Kj isn't 19 nor a guard

You did manage to find 1, I didn't expect it lol. Good job.

Yes 1-4 has to be able to shoot, and half the centers in the league are shooting 3s now
Josh Giddey gets ignored worse than Dajuan Harris from 3.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 am

You're having trouble following the convo.

I get it. Hard to jump in halfway through.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:08 am If we wouldn’t need to hide KJ on defense in the NBA, then let’s just use him as a 5 in college
Huh?

He's an awful 5 in college. Nobody is suggesting they'd use him as a 5 in the NBA. But he does have the size speed and strength to guard the 3 in the NBA.

Weird morning around here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:12 am

To be fair, it's somewhat of a useless hypothetical scenario.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:37 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:12 am

To be fair, it's somewhat of a useless hypothetical scenario.
Absolutely.

I also made that original post in mid February, so there's that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:13 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:08 am If we wouldn’t need to hide KJ on defense in the NBA, then let’s just use him as a 5 in college
Huh?

He's an awful 5 in college. Nobody is suggesting they'd use him as a 5 in the NBA. But he does have the size speed and strength to guard the 3 in the NBA.

I was poking fun at the narrative that KJ is too small to use him like we could/should/would in college, but somehow also a good defensive fit in the nba.

But yea, maybe he could do ok with the specific task of guarding nba wings
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:09 am
Huh?

I was poking fun at the narrative that KJ is too small to use him like we could/should/would in college, but somehow also a good defensive fit in the nba.

We used KJ as a 5 for an entire year. He got abused by good bigs. No rebounding. No shot blocking.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:09 am
Huh?

KJ isn't even a great defensive player at the college level, let alone an NBA level defender. He plays well in spurts when his intensity is ramped up but has difficulty maintaining that for very long. He has made some great defensive plays but overall, he doesn't strike me as a good defender consistently. Maybe being a below average rebounder colors my opinion because I think that grabbing a defensive rebound is part of being a good defender.
Last edited by twocoach on Wed May 08, 2024 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.