Ugh.
zsn
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by zsn »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:15 am
We are a massive nation split into 50 pieces forever tied to an overarching document that founded our nation hundreds of years ago. Changing the fundamental way we elect our leaders isn't something that is going to happen in an election cycle or two. Tweaks will happen but the system will always have flaws and holes. It is simply too large not to.
We can begin by acknowledging that the 50-pieces baseline is no longer relevant nor productive. Also we can acknowledge that Constitutional Originalists are traitors. This document thumbed its nose at the proposition that “All [..] were created equal” and proscribed that some are more equal than others.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:59 am
twocoach wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:15 am
We are a massive nation split into 50 pieces forever tied to an overarching document that founded our nation hundreds of years ago. Changing the fundamental way we elect our leaders isn't something that is going to happen in an election cycle or two. Tweaks will happen but the system will always have flaws and holes. It is simply too large not to.
We can begin by acknowledging that the 50-pieces baseline is no longer relevant nor productive. Also we can acknowledge that Constitutional Originalists are traitors. This document thumbed its nose at the proposition that “All [..] were created equal” and proscribed that some are more equal than others.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Which is why it's so disheartening to see obviously-smart people (like Ann Coulter) say obviously-stupid things (like this: viewtopic.php?t=4581&start=1860).

If the founders had meant for the Constitution to favor WASPs, then the founders could have written it that way.

They did not.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub the voice of reason in this thread.

zsn, Shirley, and 2coach, are C-walkin, throwing up their sets, and hanging their blue flags. 24th street, Garden Blocc holmes!
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:00 pm pdub the voice of reason in this thread.

zsn, Shirley, and 2coach, are C-walkin, throwing up their sets, and hanging their blue flags. 24th street, Garden Blocc holmes!
So if I just whine about the way things are it will move me to the "voice of reason" column? Nice!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:04 pm

So if I just whine about the way things are it will move me to the "voice of reason" column? Nice!
It's two different conversations, right?

I don't think you'll find many (any?) rational people who would say things are working great, that this is the ideal.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

no, but if you quit spewing the same bullshit that "we have choices, we just have to vote" that would be a good start.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:15 pm

no, but if you quit spewing the same bullshit that "we have choices, we just have to vote" that would be a good start.
“Voting isn’t marriage, it’s public transport. You’re not waiting for “the one” who’s absolutely perfect: you’re getting the bus, and if there isn’t one to your destination, you don’t not travel- you take the one going closest.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:21 pm
“Voting isn’t marriage, it’s public transport. You’re not waiting for “the one” who’s absolutely perfect: you’re getting the bus, and if there isn’t one to your destination, you don’t not travel- you take the one going closest.”
I'll walk
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:23 pm

I'll walk
Color me skeptical.

Because, like waiting for a candidate worthy of your oh-so-precious vote, while putting forth no effort to effect the change you desire, you'll just sit around and bitch because the bus doesn't take you precisely where you want to go.

Edited to add: Now that I see you picked up the phone and called your auto insurance co., maybe I read you all wrong???
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'll walk
I'd rather have to take a shower to wash off the Greyhound stink than die in the desert.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 pm

I'll walk
Color me skeptical.

Because, like waiting for a candidate worthy of your oh-so-precious vote, while putting forth no effort to effect the change you desire, you'll just sit around and bitch because the bus doesn't take you precisely where you want to go.

Edited to add: Now that I see you picked up the phone and called your auto insurance co., maybe I read you all wrong???
when I vote for a 3rd party I'm chastised....when I don't votefor the ore approved pre selected ) I'm told I won't do anything to change it.

?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:59 pm

I'll walk
Color me skeptical.

when I vote for a 3rd party I'm chastised....when I don't votefor the ore approved pre selected ) I'm told I won't do anything to change it.

?
For days you've sounded like your wife has been ignoring you.

Want Shirley to give her a call?
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:10 pm

Color me skeptical.

?

I posted on the subject for the first time yesterday.

You still didn't answer the question.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Nobody chastises anyone for voting Third Party and pretending not to be republican. The Supreme Court does that for us, by taking away individual rights, freedoms and lowering your life expectancy--because all the Third Party voters gave the reins of power to a bunch of idiot republicans and "libertarians."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:24 pm

?

I'm not going back to find the posts, but you've sounded like a pissy little bitch* on a plethora of subjects, for days.

What "question"?

*your opinion might differ
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:25 pm Nobody chastises anyone for voting Third Party and pretending not to be republican. The Supreme Court does that for us, by taking away individual rights, freedoms and lowering your life expectancy--because all the Third Party voters gave the reins of power to a bunch of idiot republicans and "libertarians."
case in point.

but you have options....of course we do.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm

I'm not going back to find the posts, but you've sounded like a pissy little bitch* on a plethora of subjects, for days.

What "question"?

whatever you say
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:25 pm Nobody chastises anyone for voting Third Party and pretending not to be republican. The Supreme Court does that for us, by taking away individual rights, freedoms and lowering your life expectancy--because all the Third Party voters gave the reins of power to a bunch of idiot republicans and "libertarians."
Truth
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:32 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm

What "question"?

whatever you say
Don't be that way, you make my point. What ?
Anand Giridharadas