Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by Sparko »

They are superbowl champs and the prime time games reflect that. I am thinking that this will reflect more on next year. Andy is a great coach. This will be his most challenging year.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It’s weird to see a ‘they are out to get my team’ post(s). Chiefs are the current darlings of the NFL. It’s hardly debatable. But tribalism.

I hope they win their third straight next year, as I like seeing extraordinary things in sports, especially when my team is a non-thought to the national stage.

As far as the Butker thing goes, he’ll probably be released, as he isnt ‘valuable’ enough to be withstand this thing.

I’d like to see the algorithm for releasing a player. The effects of actions vs words vs public opinion vs who’s your family vs your cap hit and such.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It would be absolutely insane to release one of the best kickers in the NFL because he said words that hurt peoples feelings.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm It’s weird to see a ‘they are out to get my team’ post(s). Chiefs are the current darlings of the NFL. It’s hardly debatable. But tribalism...
^^^
twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:08 am If the NFL felt there was Chiefs fatigue then why would they give them 5 prime time games?!? The NFL seems to be trying to cash in on their success and fan support more than ever. Opening Night? Chiefs. Christmas Day on a new Netflix platform? Chiefs? Monday Night? Two Chiefs games. Sunday Night? Two Chiefs games. The Saturday after college football conference championship games end? Chiefs.
^^^

IMO, the NFL is ecstatic about what the Chiefs are doing, i.e., bringing millions of new eyeball$* from a heretofore untapped demographic, i.e., young females, to the sport thru Taylor Swift and the Swifties, and are only too happy to ride that pony as far and as long as it will carry them.

*More eyeball$ = increased fees for media co.s to buy what the NFL is selling.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm It would be absolutely insane to release one of the best kickers in the NFL because he said words that hurt peoples feelings.
Not sure whether it matters or not, but the Swifties, not to mention females in general, don't like it. It's definitely a bad look for the Chiefs.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:43 pm
IMO, the NFL is only too happy to ride that pony as far and as long as it will carry them.

I think they’ll be Laid Back as long as they don’t ride the white horse.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:34 pm It would be absolutely insane to release one of the best kickers in the NFL because he said words that hurt peoples feelings.
What if he were middling?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:54 pm
What if he were middling?
Then you consider the release.
Again this faux morality has little to do in actuality with this money making behemoth.
It’s corporate America at its most vicious just with a heavy sugar coat of we care.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:43 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm It’s weird to see a ‘they are out to get my team’ post(s). Chiefs are the current darlings of the NFL. It’s hardly debatable. But tribalism...
^^^
twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:08 am If the NFL felt there was Chiefs fatigue then why would they give them 5 prime time games?!? The NFL seems to be trying to cash in on their success and fan support more than ever. Opening Night? Chiefs. Christmas Day on a new Netflix platform? Chiefs? Monday Night? Two Chiefs games. Sunday Night? Two Chiefs games. The Saturday after college football conference championship games end? Chiefs.
^^^

IMO, the NFL is ecstatic about what the Chiefs are doing, i.e., bringing millions of new eyeball$* from a heretofore untapped demographic, i.e., young females, to the sport thru Taylor Swift and the Swifties, and are only too happy to ride that pony as far and as long as it will carry them.

*More eyeball$ = increased fees for media co.s to buy what the NFL is selling.
Agreed. The NFL doesn't reward the best/most marketable team by giving them the easiest schedule. They use their popularity to push them onto as many of their prime time slots as they can possibly justify, occasionally to their detriment. Such is the problem with being a really good team that millions want to watch. I am glad KC has that "problem" as we aren't far removed from a time when no one wanted to watch the Chiefs play football.

By no means does it appear that the NFL is out to "get" the Chiefs. Quite the opposite, it seems.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm It’s weird to see a ‘they are out to get my team’ post(s). Chiefs are the current darlings of the NFL. It’s hardly debatable. But tribalism.

I hope they win their third straight next year, as I like seeing extraordinary things in sports, especially when my team is a non-thought to the national stage.

As far as the Butker thing goes, he’ll probably be released, as he isnt ‘valuable’ enough to be withstand this thing.

I’d like to see the algorithm for releasing a player. The effects of actions vs words vs public opinion vs who’s your family vs your cap hit and such.
There is zero reason to release Butker, that would be foolish. He hasn't broken the law and even that doesn't get you released some times. Worst case scenario is that some people boo him. But there are also going to be some people who openly cheer for him because of this because Missouri is Missouri. Don't let the current state of your social media feed fool you into believing that there is some sort of universal hatred of what he said. There clearly is not. Besides, it's May. Something else will replace Butker in the news cycle (see Rashee Rice's Dallas case which is now being discussed by no one).
Last edited by twocoach on Thu May 16, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach correct with both posts.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

My feed is so middling, I might just get released.

I’m glad you jumped to that conclusion about where I’ve gotten my cynicism here though.

I don’t care about most of this stuff at all other than to make fun of both extremes in what they try (or do) ‘cancel’.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm It’s weird to see a ‘they are out to get my team’ post(s). Chiefs are the current darlings of the NFL. It’s hardly debatable. But tribalism.

I think they might be loved to death then. This will be a brutal back-loaded schedule.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:26 pm

I think they might be loved to death then. This will be a brutal back-loaded schedule.
That’s too low hanging even for me.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:15 pm

There is zero reason to release Butker, that would be foolish. He hasn't broken the law and even that doesn't get you released some times. Worst case scenario is that some people boo him. But there are also going to be some people who openly cheer for him because of this because Missouri is Missouri. Don't let the current state of your social media feed fool you into believing that there is some sort of universal hatred of what he said. There clearly is not. Besides, it's May. Something else will replace Butker in the news cycle (see Rashee Rice's Dallas case which is now being discussed by no one).
Not so fast. His contract must stipulate something about respecting diversity and religious views of others and acting in a way consistent with that. He is lucky Kelce doesn't just flatten him. Or any of the other athletes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m sure his contract says nothing of the sort.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:29 pm I’m sure his contract says nothing of the sort.
Fish might have a better take, but at least get a few kickers in camp. I believe the NFL has dignity and respect guidelines. I believe his statements violate the personal conduct policy myself

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/ ... Policy.pdf
Last edited by Sparko on Thu May 16, 2024 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Butker is likely the best kicker in the NFL.

No.
You don’t get kickers in camp.
You likely have the best guy at that position in the world.

And if the NFL had those guidelines one third of the league should be suspended.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Look, I agree he is great. That greatness Aaron Rogersed him. Hunt was pretty good too. Here, he even insulted the Pope. Mahomes has distanced himself from him already.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

OK, I guess we'll see.