Chiefs Offseason 2024

Kansas Football.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Chiefs Offseason 2024

Post by Shirley »

The NFL responds after a player urges female college graduates to become homemakers

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker stirred controversy off the field this weekend when he told a college graduating class that one of the "most important titles" a woman can hold is "homemaker."

Butker denounced abortion rights, Pride Month, COVID-19 lockdowns and "the tyranny of diversity, equity and inclusion" in his commencement address at Benedictine College, a Catholic liberal arts school in Atchison, Kan.

The 28-year-old, a devout Catholic and father of two, also railed against "dangerous gender ideologies" and urged men to "fight against the cultural emasculation of men." At one point, he addressed women specifically.

...The 20-minute speech has been viewed more than 455,000 times on YouTube since Saturday and generated considerable backlash — and memes — on social media, especially from people critical of his views on women. Many pointed out that Butker's own mom is a clinical medical physicist.

Butker also drew ire from fans of Taylor Swift, who is dating fellow Chiefs player Travis Kelce, a relationship that has famously helped bring many new female fans to the NFL. Later in the speech, he quoted Swift — though not by name — while talking about what he sees as the problem of priests becoming "overly familiar" with their parishioners.

...Butker and the team have not commented publicly on his speech and the backlash to it, though late Wednesday the NFL issued a statement distancing itself from it.

"Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity," Jonathan Beane, the NFL's senior VP and chief diversity and inclusion officer told NPR on Thursday. "His views are not those of the NFL as an organization."

[...]
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 pm The NFL responds after a player urges female college graduates to become homemakers

Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker stirred controversy off the field this weekend when he told a college graduating class that one of the "most important titles" a woman can hold is "homemaker."

Butker denounced abortion rights, Pride Month, COVID-19 lockdowns and "the tyranny of diversity, equity and inclusion" in his commencement address at Benedictine College, a Catholic liberal arts school in Atchison, Kan.

The 28-year-old, a devout Catholic and father of two, also railed against "dangerous gender ideologies" and urged men to "fight against the cultural emasculation of men." At one point, he addressed women specifically.

...The 20-minute speech has been viewed more than 455,000 times on YouTube since Saturday and generated considerable backlash — and memes — on social media, especially from people critical of his views on women. Many pointed out that Butker's own mom is a clinical medical physicist.

Butker also drew ire from fans of Taylor Swift, who is dating fellow Chiefs player Travis Kelce, a relationship that has famously helped bring many new female fans to the NFL. Later in the speech, he quoted Swift — though not by name — while talking about what he sees as the problem of priests becoming "overly familiar" with their parishioners.

...Butker and the team have not commented publicly on his speech and the backlash to it, though late Wednesday the NFL issued a statement distancing itself from it.

"Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity," Jonathan Beane, the NFL's senior VP and chief diversity and inclusion officer told NPR on Thursday. "His views are not those of the NFL as an organization."

[...]
Yes, "in his personal capacity" BUT........
I didn't see how he was introduced at the ceremony but I do know Benedictine "advertised" him as Harrison Butker Place Kicker Kansas City Chiefs.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Kickers are notoriously squirrely. I can see this incident, along with a new holder knocking Butker off his game. He was erratic as Hell just two years ago. I would lay odds he will be skittish next year no matter what. And Gutter has a point on his introduction. He represented the team and puked on Dean Werner.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hope he’s incredible bc I want the Chiefs to win and don’t present my personal moral beliefs on a team and league that has never had interest in actually standing for any level of moral belief.

At least when college sports were real you’d get that level of feeling. But even then, this is simply someone talking what he believes in, and it’s wrong, but it’s words. People need to get over words ultimately.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

She’s not wrong wrong but a bit wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://twitter.com/Taylor_Witt/status/ ... hjziA&s=19

Days rest vs opponent rest for the 2024 NFL season.

Ravens gain the most benefit at +16 days, 4 more days than any other team.
49ers hurt the most at -21 days, 4 fewer days than any other team.

Chiefs check in at tied for 8th-best at +5 days rest.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:25 pm https://twitter.com/Taylor_Witt/status/ ... hjziA&s=19

Thanks for linking that, interesting thread.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:25 pm https://twitter.com/Taylor_Witt/status/ ... hjziA&s=19

After last year, glad to see this tracked. I also think injuries should be correlated after the season.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:27 pm https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7CoFYyO ... AxOGJzbno2

Some other commentary on it...
She is a wing nut. She has an agenda pretending that dignity and respect for all people is "woke."

He has opened season on targeted minorities and women. Women are literally fighting for their rights right now--even voting rights again. He is wrong. I read that he was supposedly in conversion therapy. If so, that was also wrong. But he appears to be a malignant narcissist. Get him some help. Do not make excuses for him marginalizing others.

But he is an entertainer like Jimmy the Greek. Pissing off teammates is never ideal.
Last edited by Sparko on Thu May 16, 2024 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chiefs-h ... nt-address

Like I said, not everyone is mad about Butker. He has made a lot of new fans this week. Yuck.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:54 pm https://www.foxnews.com/sports/chiefs-h ... nt-address

Like I said, not everyone is mad about Butker. He has made a lot of new fans this week. Yuck.
Saw that. But 100,000s want him gone. An entertainer who despises large swaths of America.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he was a teacher at a public school I’d want him fired one billion times over. It’s the position he is in. He needs to serve an example in the environment of which his profession directly impacts.

A next further step would be college athlete who in theory is part of an environment where you still instill value to a generation of people. I wouldn’t want someone like this gone but certainly punished/reprimanded of some type because of the environment. Even if it was a forced apology of some type.

Butker is in the entertainment business where players get away with felonies so they can smash other players heads in for huge amounts of money. No none of us deserve apologies here and to ask for them, if you’ve been following the NFL, is hypocritical, and if you aren’t a fan, well, funny you’re suddenly interested in what a kicker has to say.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:03 pm If he was a teacher at a public school I’d want him fired one billion times over. It’s the position he is in. He needs to serve an example in the environment of which his profession directly impacts.

A next further step would be college athlete who in theory is part of an environment where you still instill value to a generation of people. I wouldn’t want someone like this gone but certainly punished/reprimanded of some type because of the environment. Even if it was a forced apology of some type.

Butker is in the entertainment business where players get away with felonies so they can smash other players heads in for huge amounts of money. No none of us deserve apologies here and to ask for them, if you’ve been following the NFL, is hypocritical, and if you aren’t a fan, well, funny you’re suddenly interested in what a kicker has to say.
They're our gladiators, so we make room for their eccentricities...
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shirley is correct.

Also what’s worse?
Butker going on stage expressing what he believes is right with words ( though, to be clear, still a moran ) or Dalvin Cook or Von Miller beating women?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also I want to be clear too I think backlash as long as it doesn’t actually lead to anything is wonderfully great. He deserves shit from people who disagree because he’s a public figure speaking so publicly.

If you’re pissed about him saying shit, also say shit.

If you think the Chiefs should let him go I think you’re a hypocritical moran but also get why you’re saying it.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:16 pm Shirley is correct.

Also what’s worse?
Butker going on stage expressing what he believes is right with words ( though, to be clear, still a moran ) or Dalvin Cook or Von Miller beating women?
All are egregious.
Butker empowers fascists to beat down whole groups of Americans. The lesser thans that fascists believe should be attacked.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So then if we act on what we think is egregious then we gotta let go of 1/4th of the players in the NFL.

A couple coaches should be gone. Even more GMs. The Chiefs sure as hell should change their name and traditions.

Also maybe flag football because traumatic long term brain injury is pretty egregious…I’d say more so than a moran expressing his religious beliefs to a religious school.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have been a Chiefs fan since 1968. There have been stupid outrages and players. Mahomes can't even talk to this guy. One of the sacrosanct things is to remove cancers. And don't go off on most of your fans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mahomes has a brother that physically forced himself on a woman and he still lets the dude tik tok dance all over the place with special access to Chiefs events.

His wife threw beer on opposing fans and causes all sorts of shit on social media.

We won our first Super Bowl with Mahomes and a guy who likely both beat his pregnant girlfriend and then his child. Where were you then wanting the cancer of the team gone?