Gutter's 3 Questions of the day - for the price of 1 or 5 or 0

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gutter's 3 Questions of the day - for the price of 1 or 5 or 0

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

1. When you were 13 years old did you think you would be "financially" more successful, less successful, or exactly how successful, you currently are?

2. Assuming you work, have you ever checked your phone/text/computer/email soon after you wake up in the morning, see/hear a work related message, and know you're in for a shitty day - and think to yourself I really wish I did something else for a living?

3. You have to choose between one of the three for a 72 hour period of time during a NON-weekend.
You must spend a grand total of 9 hours in that 72 hour period outside. Those 9 hours can be scattered throughout the 72 hours however you choose. You can not sit/stand/lay down in the shade.
a. 74 degrees, 95% humidity, mostly sunny/partly cloudy, no wind/breeze.
b. 96 degrees, 15% humidity, mostly sunny/partly cloudy, 10 mph wind/breeze.
c. 12 degrees, 20% humidity, cloudy, 5 mph wind/breeze.
Which to you choose?
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Tue May 21, 2024 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Re: Gutter's 3 Questions of the day - for the price of 1 or 5 or 0

Post by DeletedUser »

1. Similar

2. Yes, but thankfully not often nowadays.

3. 74 easy choice
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

1. Too difficult for me to answer being how my finances currently are. I thought I would be much better in regards to my job, pay, living situation, etc., but my current "net worth" may be more than I thought it would be when I was 13.

2. Almost every work day. Of course that's on me - to make a change.

3. I didn't say how much time you have to spend outside. I am going to edit the question.
I'm going with c.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

1. at 13 I expected I’d have more now, but I am fine
2. this is really a two-parter. Even when I see it’s gonna be a shitty day I don’t wish for a different job. The challenges in my job are opportunities, even the ones that are dealing with difficult people
3. C. i’ll take the cold. At first I was going to take 95 and low humidity, but then I considered sleeping in that and that would suck. Houses here have heat, but not always AC. I can deal with the cold, there is essentially no wind, and you made no mention of ice.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DrPepper wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 7:04 am 1. at 13 I expected I’d have more now, but I am fine
2. this is really a two-parter. Even when I see it’s gonna be a shitty day I don’t wish for a different job. The challenges in my job are opportunities, even the ones that are dealing with difficult people
3. C. i’ll take the cold. At first I was going to take 95 and low humidity, but then I considered sleeping in that and that would suck. Houses here have heat, but not always AC. I can deal with the cold, there is essentially no wind, and you made no mention of ice.
Hi Dr - Nice to see you post and I hope you are doing well!

My responses to your responses....

1 - Many people are not "fine" so putting things in perspective, I suppose I should feel good being "fine".
2 - Excellent response! My main job responsibilities are putting out fires. I joke with others when things are not going well and say - hey, it's job security. Problem I am facing now is that I don't have the same quality of support staff working with and for me that I had in the past. That, and those who's fires I am putting out, I don't get the same acknowledgment and appreciation from them that I received in the past. I have been at my company for 19 years, while I feel very fortunate, I am not "fulfilled" and I could probably benefit from a change. Sure some aspects of my job I love, but too many I don't like - at all.
3 - I made no mention of what the elements would be indoors. I would take the cold just over the heat because I can handle it for 10, 15, 30 minute intervals as long as I am dressed for it. I am terrible in humidity so b would be my 3rd choice - by a lot.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

1. I don’t think I really cared much so let’s say similar
2. Maybe on rare occasions but I kinda love my gig at the moment—always wish for more creative freedom but can’t always get what you want
3. a. I see the humidity but 74 isn’t enough to make it intolerable
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1) I gave very little thought to my future at 13.
2) Every job has tough days. I don't think I'd trade my job for another. I like the people I work with and the company has been pretty good to me.
3) 74 and huuuumid.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

1. When I was 13 I figured I would be living in the burbs and going to Mass every Sunday
2. One time at a shitty job I had a meeting with HR about how to professionally and respectfully get my bosses to stop treating me as on-call 24/7, even on my days off, even on vacation, even tho I was hourly at the time, even tho they’d then turn around and also get mad at me for working over 40 hours a week. This meeting came the week before I had a PTO vacation planned. I asked them to please not contact me to do work stuff until my scheduled return. They agreed, and said that was the reasonable path going forward. Then, one morning on the vacation, they contacted me to tell me I was ultimately being fired.
3. I’ll take the humidity. How bad can it be if it’s also only 74. How can it be that humid if it’s only 74
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"How can it be that humid if it’s only 74"

I don't believe it can be.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Trick question!

The answer was actually, “break up with her.”
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I don't understand the humidity question. It can be 99% (or 100%) humid at 74 degrees. Can it not?
There was 87% humidity at 63 degrees this morning outside my apartment.

74 degrees with 95% humidity in the sun with no wind/breeze is not "intolerable" for me, but it's not good. With my heart and lung issues.
Was somewhat struggling at times at Wrigley on Saturday when it was around 80 degrees with about 70% humidity.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gutter is correct.
I thought, without some form of precipitation ( fog/rain ), at that temp it couldn't be that high humidity.
Very very unlikely in my neck of the woods but more likely in a place like Florida.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A. you can play one sport for the next 5 years. if there is precipitation actually falling ( touching you ) you instantly become a top 5 player in the sport. the heavier the precipitation, the better you get, to the point if it is a heavy rain, you're the best player the world has ever seen when that is happening. when it is not precipitating, you revert to your normal self.

B. you can play one sport for the next 5 years. you are a top 600 player at that position in the world no matter what the weather is like.

which do you choose? and what sport?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Gutter's questions:

1. Less
2. If phones as pagers count, (back when I did work), hell yes.
3. D, all the above. B looks like SLC in the summer. After working outside in the Wichita winters for 8 years, C wouldn't be that bad. A doesn't sound bad, either.

pdub's:

B Golf
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas