We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:

'Solidarity': All 9 South Dakota Native American tribes endorse Kristi Noem's banishment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

While I aspire to avoid commenting on other people's physical characteristics myself, I think Marjorie might be a little out of her league having picked a fight with Representative Jasmine Crockett about her fake eyelashes. Crockett has filed a trademark for Bleach Blond Bad-Built Butch Body, and is beginning to market products featuring that phrase. (And it couldn't happen to a more deserving person than MTG.)

Jasmine Crockett
@JasmineForUS
So we are going to drop “A Crockett Clapback Collection.” This collection will feature various swag that includes random things I’ve said. The money will go to ensuring that we have a Democratic House! Give me a little time to really get the swag online etc., but B6 will drop first.

If you have things you want to see come to life let me know. Post graphics or just phrases that you want to see.

#bleachblondbadbuiltbutchbody

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Rep Crockett missed a very nice opportunity. Instead of sinking to MTG's level of childish insults, it would have been better played to let her know that they are in the US House of Representatives and she should conduct her self with a little more respect for her office.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

two ditchpigs mudd wrasslin. i love it.

what could be better.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

a legislature that is spending time, uh, actually legislating?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:41 am Rep Crockett missed a very nice opportunity. Instead of sinking to MTG's level of childish insults, it would have been better played to let her know that they are in the US House of Representatives and she should conduct her self with a little more respect for her office.
MTG would, of course, have to stop yelling first.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i don’t think taking the high road with mtg would matter one bit

as evidenced by the look on greene’s face, Crockett did a good job putting her in her place

generally i’d agree with 99, but not in this case
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:56 am i don’t think taking the high road with mtg would matter one bit

as evidenced by the look on greene’s face, Crockett did a good job putting her in her place

I'm mixed.

I love the idea of taking the high road; it's what I teach my kids to do, and what I am generally very good at modeling (in real life, anyway!).

But at some point, meeting bad faith with not just good faith, but unrequited courtesy, makes you a sucker.

Or, put differently, it gives you the present composition of the Supreme Court.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:37 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:56 am i don’t think taking the high road with mtg would matter one bit

I'm mixed.

I love the idea of taking the high road; it's what I teach my kids to do, and what I am generally very good at modeling (in real life, anyway!).

But at some point, meeting bad faith with not just good faith, but unrequited courtesy, makes you a sucker.

i almost said something similar

when both sides don’t play by the same “rules”, doing the right thing will only go so far
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's not that hard to ignore the rantings of the lunatics. i ref hs soccer. so i have to do it everyday.

just put them on ignore and go about my business.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am it's not that hard to ignore the rantings of the lunatics. i ref hs soccer. so i have to do it everyday.

just put them on ignore and go about my business.
On the other hand, you get at least the majority of your news from Fox News.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:37 am

I'm mixed.

^^^ To both of these.

Yet more evidence 99 is a better man than I...

99, I feel you, but imo MTG isn't there to work on behalf of the American people, to try and make every Americans life better, she's there to burn the place down and keep things from getting done.

jfish's reference to the Supreme Court encapsulates what's been happening for years because Democrats have taken the high road, the more you think about it.

In other words, it's time to stop being nice and Fuck those Fascists.

sorry, I wish it weren't so.

And just to illustrate how these Republican Fascist Mother____ers don't play by the same rules, here's Democratic Representative Eric Swallwell calling out Republican Rep Jim Jordan, Chairman of the house judiciary committee, for ignoring a subpoena that Democrats sent him 2 years ago when they controlled congress, but now Jordan is going after AG Merrick Garland for not responding to one he issued:

Rep. Eric Swalwell trolls MAGA Republican Jim Jordan by "celebrating" his two-year subpoena anniversary. Swalwell bashes Jim Jordan, MAGA Republicans and the GOP for their hypocrisy and wanting to hold A.G. Merrick Garland in contempt of Congress.

@joshgerstein May 17, 2024

JUST IN: Florida man has pleaded guilty to making death threats against Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) Michael Shapiro, 72, of Greenacres, Fla. admitted to using racial slur while threatening to kill Swalwell & his children. Sentencing set for August.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m always reminded of Al Franken falling on his sword, juxtaposed with trump
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:20 am it's not that hard to ignore the rantings of the lunatics.
Which is why I rarely respond to you.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:41 am Rep Crockett missed a very nice opportunity. Instead of sinking to MTG's level of childish insults, it would have been better played to let her know that they are in the US House of Representatives and she should conduct her self with a little more respect for her office.
Would that it were. I think you'll find this interesting, 99.

And now, the rest of the story...

(I find it very disturbing, and sad. More chaos? More public accusations? More opportunities to create drama that gets you into the rotation and maybe an appearance on Fox News?

Like Trump spreading his new lie today, accusing Biden of wanting to kill him during the FBI search of Mar-a-Lago, which Republicans in congress and the R-wing media picked up and began repeating rapidly into the echo chamber, it's just another way Republicans are normalizing and getting Americans used to the idea of political violence, and its necessity of you lose, "we have to stop the steal", is an 11 on a scale of 10 for our nation's future.)

Jan 6th was a rehearsal.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez explains what actually fueled the chaotic moment with Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene in the House Oversight Committee hearing last week.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm
Jan 6th was a rehearsal.
I have been saying this since Jan 7
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:50 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:40 pm
Jan 6th was a rehearsal.
I have been saying this since Jan 7
And it's made all the more likely since, in a great show of patriotism and character, nearly every Republican has capitulated to Trump's position that he won't necessarily abide by the results of the '24 election. Fucking pussies, cowards.

Is there anything more basic to our nation's future than the peaceful transfer of power?
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Trump lie about his assassination was to provide cover for what they intend to do. He is losing. Take threats seriously.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Yes, to both of you.

He cheated to win in 2016, and then lied about both the cheating and also the win itself.

He cheated to try to win in (and in the run-up to) 2020, and then lied about both the cheating and also the loss itself. He took the cheating and the lying so far as to, particularly through his white supremacist supporters, incite and encourage an insurrection.

He is now cheating to try to win in 2024. He will lie about the cheating, and about the losing. Your corniest local weatherman can tell which way the wind blows for the afterparty.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

every presidential election of this century has been cheated on and stolen in some fashion. that's just the way it is.

how we are going to change that, i don't know. it's just something we have to live with.