Royals

Other Sports.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Royals

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Interesting. Insert PDub's Larry David quote here.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Garcia is playing better 3B that anyone I have seen in a Royals uniform right now. The whole team is en fuego.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The Royals are so hot and doing so well, it occurs to me to try and catch them in Tampa Bay this weekend.

Anyone want to go?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Sounds great. A little far away though. The Royals always play well in Tampa. Wins have been hard there.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Isn't the dome in Tampa at least the 2nd worst stadium in MLB?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I would rate it as the worst. Catwalk nightmare.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I've never been to Tropicana Field, but you're right, looking at pictures of the inside of the dome it is uuuuuuuuugly! That does not increase my inclination to watch a game there.

After 2-3 weeks of not being able to watch a Royals game, it turns out they'll be on Bally Sports for all 3 games of the Devil Rays series this weekend. That being the case, my motivation to make the pilgrimage to Tropicana Field, has waned significantly. It means I won't be able to have lunch at Ceviche, an upscale tapas bar in St Petersburg that's one of my favorite restaurants that's on the way, but somehow, I'll survive.

Go Royals!
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm I've never been to Tropicana Field, but you're right, looking at pictures of the inside of the dome it is uuuuuuuuugly! That does not increase my inclination to watch a game there.

After 2-3 weeks of not being able to watch a Royals game, it turns out they'll be on Bally Sports for all 3 games of the Devil Rays series this weekend. That being the case, my motivation to make the pilgrimage to Tropicana Field, has waned significantly. It means I won't be able to have lunch at Ceviche, an upscale tapas bar in St Petersburg that's one of my favorite restaurants that's on the way, but somehow, I'll survive.

Go Royals!
Wild Child is very very good also.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:30 am
Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm I've never been to Tropicana Field, but you're right, looking at pictures of the inside of the dome it is uuuuuuuuugly! That does not increase my inclination to watch a game there.

Go Royals!
Wild Child is very very good also.
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks interesting and I'm ALWAYS looking for good restaurants. I won't remember the name, but I added jfish to the notes, so when I search for that, I'll find it.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I feel really bad for the Sting Rays in that awful tank in right center. The infield ALWAYS looks like it has endured a recent torrential downpour.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

It’s so goofy that the stadium there is so bad.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am It’s so goofy that the stadium there is so bad.
It's really not a part of the country that makes sense for pro baseball, for a lot of reasons.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:43 am It’s so goofy that the stadium there is so bad.
It's really not a part of the country that makes sense for pro baseball, for a lot of reasons.
yeah i know those things, but it's still goofy.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm
yeah i know those things, but it's still goofy.
Goofy as hell - but I think the goofiness (and the protracted fantasyland proposals over time, including splitting the team between Montreal and Tampa/St. Pete) sort of speaks for itself.

The fans don't show up. Not when the teams lose, and not when the teams win.

If fans aren't buying tickets when the teams win, why should anyone - public, private, whatever - invest in a building?

A building that (1) needs to be indoors, (2) needs to be able to withstand multiple direct hits each year from Category 4 and 5 hurricanes and (3) probably needs to be built on high ground?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm
Go Royals!
I think you should go watch them while they are close(ish). No idea where you live…probably Sarasota lol.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Team is playing so well. Just wow tonight.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:46 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm
Go Royals!
I think you should go watch them while they are close(ish). No idea where you live…probably Sarasota lol.
Bingo! Good guess.

I should go see them, because when I pulled up the game tonight to watch it, it turns out Bally has declared bankruptcy and is no longer broadcasting games.

smh
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Brad Porter
@bradkporter

The #Royals have won seven straight. Depending on the rotation schedule and rest - Seth Lugo should be the starting pitcher for the American League All-Star team, Salvador Pérez should be starting catcher and Bobby Witt, Jr., should be starting shortstop. Am I biased? 100% ⚾️

Rany Jazayerli
@jazayerli

UPDATE: The Royals are 13-4 in games decided by 5+ runs.

It's May 24th, and they've won as many games by 5 runs as they did all of last season, and more than they did in all of 2022.

Rany Jazayerli
@jazayerli
·
21h
Record in games decided by 5+ runs:

2022 Royals: 12-30
2023 Royals: 13-24
2024 Royals: 12-4
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Tied franchise record for consecutive games with 8+ runs (5).

Unearned runs allowed so far is crazy low.

Kinda/sorta/mostly play smallball. I like that part the most.

Starting pitching matters.

Still make moves (Duffey DFA), so expectations to perform are higher than normal, it appears.

Thanks QT for sponsoring the uniforms!!!! This is the difference!!!!! Yay, TAQUITOS!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I may go inside QT now, rather than wait in back with the lead pipe. Defense is incredible. Q taking some advice has been huge too. Using speed now and leaving in the hot hands