Post by Shirley »

SMFH. We are so fucked.

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Sparko »

That is disqualifying. Probably illegal too.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Sparko wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:01 pm That is disqualifying. Probably illegal too.
You think the Roberts Court cares about minor details like legality and ethics? Those are for the plebes
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 pm
Sparko wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:01 pm That is disqualifying. Probably illegal too.
You think the Roberts Court cares about minor details like legality and ethics? Those are for the plebes
Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe, but what a great comeback by the Alito's to the neighbor they had an argument with, that (allegedly) inspired Alito's wife to hoist the flag! Boom!!!

And, isn't that what we're looking for in a member, one of only nine, on our nation's highest court?
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shirley wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:26 pm
zsn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 pm
Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe, but what a great comeback by the Alito's to the neighbor they had an argument with, that (allegedly) inspired Alito's wife to hoist the flag! Boom!!!

And, isn't that what we're looking for in a member, one of only nine, on our nation's highest court?
Only on the SCOTUS bench can a member use ignorance-of-the-law as the basis for not following ethics rules.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am aware that this sort of nonsense has been normalized down to a fine paste.

But the arrogance of a Justice of the Supreme Court saying, of a flag hung on his property, that the expression should be attributed to his wife only, is breathtaking.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:47 pm I am aware that this sort of nonsense has been normalized down to a fine paste.

But the arrogance of a Justice of the Supreme Court saying, of a flag hung on his property, that the expression should be attributed to his wife only, is breathtaking.
^^^

What a pussy.

IMO, his "explanation" implies that the flag was up one evening when he got home from work, and he immediately took it down. But, it was up for several days. Which at the least, makes him complicit.
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The “majority**” on SCOTUS, I guess, represents the worst elements of our society: it’s made up of sexual predators, grifters and a handmaiden.

** That we accept as matter of course that a judicial body has a “majority” is in and of itself an indictment of its legitimacy.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

zsn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:32 pm
** That we accept as matter of course that a judicial body has a “majority” is in and of itself an indictment of its legitimacy.
I agree.

Although I do wonder it you'd feel the same way if the Dems had the "majority".
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Liberals tend to protect freedoms in a conservative way on the court. Conservatives liberally attack rights on the court. Unless they become progressive by learning the job.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It is somewhat misleading to frame the Justices as “liberal or conservative,” at least (as regarding the latter) in any traditional sense.

Unfortunately a strong majority of self-described “conservatives” have lost the plot and developed a taste for the cruelty and authoritarianism that is available under the cover of traditional conservatism.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This court can be labeled in a lot of ways from progressives to neofascist. The right wingers were carefully vetted to be sure they would not go Renquist.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DeletedUser wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:24 pm
zsn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:32 pm
I agree.

Although I do wonder it you'd feel the same way if the Dems had the "majority".
Yes, I would. There is a reason why the lady holding the scales is blindfolded. I’m thinking (just my perception) that the overt partisan hackery of the Court became blatant following the appointment of Roberts and Alito, fueled by the Koch brothers and Citizens United was its first blatant demonstration.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

BREAKING: Chief Justice John Roberts has released a statement following the NYT report about a 'stop the steal' symbol on display at Justice Alito's home:

Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Took me a split second…….

Sad commentary on the “justice” system
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 am BREAKING: Chief Justice John Roberts has released a statement following the NYT report about a 'stop the steal' symbol on display at Justice Alito's home:

He’s known for years. At best, his legacy will be that he let the Court come perilously close to losing its legitimacy.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

"Worse than Taney," a biography I hope we'll live to see written.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Creating the appearance...

MeidasTouch
@MeidasTouch
BREAKING
@nytimes

Last summer, Justice Alito's NJ beach house displayed the "Appeal to Heaven" flag, a symbol flag flown by Jan 6 insurrectionists associated with reshaping America into a Christian Nationalist nation.

This flag was spotted amid key Jan. 6 cases before the Supreme Court, raising serious ethical concerns. Neighbors and photos confirm the flag flew from July to September 2023, but Alito has declined to comment.

Justice Alito is a clear and present danger to the Republic and is completely unfit to serve on the Supreme Court.

Read the full article here:
https://nytimes.com/2024/05/22/us/justi ... eaven.html

The “Appeal to Heaven” flag flew outside the Alitos’ New Jersey vacation home last summer, along with a “2022” Phillies flag and a Long Beach Island flag.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Robert Reich:

(This was written after the upside down American flag Alito flew was revealed, and before the Christian nationalist flag the NY Times revealed today.)

When I was a mere clerk for the 1st circuit appeals court, I wasn't allowed to have a political bumper sticker for fear of creating even the appearance of bias on the court.

How can Justice Alito be allowed to rule on Jan 6-related matters after flying a pro-insurrection flag?

That's because the Supreme Court's "code of ethics" has no enforcement mechanism and no way for the public to lodge complaints of misconduct.

SCOTUS Justices are being allowed to police themselves, which they've already proven they can't do.

Is it any wonder why Americans don't trust them?

The highest court in the country shouldn't have the lowest ethics standards. Our Supreme Court needs a binding, enforceable code of ethics now. And Congress has the ability to put one in place.
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

smfh

The decision by the U.S. Supreme Court’s conservative majority Thursday to allow South Carolina to proceed with its gerrymandered map of congressional districts led to a blistering dissent by Justice Elena Kagan, who argued that the redistricting was designed to weaken Black voters’ influence.

The 6-3 ruling, led by conservative Justice Samuel Alito, overturns a lower court decision last year that said Republicans in South Carolina had illegally used race to gerrymander the state’s 1st Congressional District. In ordering the South Carolina Legislature to redraw its new map, a three-judge U.S. District Court panel said that the GOP’s attempt to move Black voters out of the 1st District and move white voters in amounted to a “bleaching” of the district.

“The proper response to this case is not to throw up novel roadblocks enabling South Carolina to continue dividing citizens along racial lines,” the liberal justice wrote. “It is to respect the plausible — no, the more than plausible — findings of the District Court that the State engaged in race-based districting. And to tell the State that it must redraw District 1, this time without targeting African-American citizens.”…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?