Let’s have a war!

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Let’s have a war!

Post by ousdahl »

Ah fuck it.

Maybe I should just turn my brain off and give in and say the Kevin Garnett gif is enough to convince me.

Hamas bad! Russia bad! Israel good! Ukraine good! Merica best! Anything is possible! Go Celts!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:51 am
Shirley wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:02 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:06 am I’ve never been on tik tok.

And illy, that’s one of your all time worst posts. Like really incredibly horrible.

I’m tempted to move right along and try for some discussion like, “let’s consider possible connections between the conflict in Congo the conflict in Israel,” but I once again realize such a discussion is futile.

Now quick, somebody repeat that I’m actually just parroting Putin!
I’m tempted to move right along and try for some discussion like, “let’s consider possible connections between the conflict in Congo the conflict in Israel,” but I once again realize such a discussion is futile.

And then, like on what seems like every other thread, you'd supply no evidence* supporting your position, then get upset when no one takes your assertion/question seriously.

*Or, alternatively, in your naiveté to support your point, you might quote some flaming right-wing Jewish religious fanatic who's against everything else you claim to believe.
Ok, consider me tempted.
The “voluntary” resettlement of Palestinians from Gaza is slowly becoming a key official policy of the government, with a senior official saying that Israel has held talks with several countries for their potential absorption.

Zman Israel, The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister site, has learned that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition is conducting secret contacts for accepting thousands of immigrants from Gaza with Congo, in addition to other nations.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in ... -plan/amp/

(From last January. There’s more out there yet, including in real time. I suggest you do your own research. Lemme know what you find!)

And, heads up, you might have missed my point by quoting some flaming right wing Jewish fanatic. I do not, in fact, think Hamas hearts Biden.
Interestingly, I searched “Israel Congo” on google news earlier, and that was among the few articles to come up, at least among western sources.

My initial hunch about connections had to do with resources, more so than where Israel is trying to “voluntarily” resettle Palestinians.

I just searched again, and, curiously enough google news provides a lot more results.

Apparently there’s been a lot of buzz between the Biden administration being back and forth on sanctions against some Israeli billionaire who coincidentally owns a bunch of mines in Congo.

Not that colonialism is still very much alive and well or anything.

And who the fuck knows where or who or how or what should count as reliable sources
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

JFC. You're replying to your own posts now?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Egyptian intelligence quietly changed the terms of a ceasefire proposal that Israel had already signed off on earlier this month, ultimately scuttling a deal that could have released Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners, and set a pathway to temporarily end the fighting in Gaza, according to three people familiar with the discussions.

The ceasefire agreement that Hamas ended up announcing on May 6 was not what the Qataris or the Americans believed had been submitted to Hamas for a potential final review, the sources said.

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

apparently putin is pushing to redraw the Baltic Sea borders…i’m sure it’s no big deal though
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:29 pm apparently putin is pushing to redraw the Baltic Sea borders…i’m sure it’s no big deal though
I blame the Nazis.

And Biden. Of course, Biden.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

.Families of Israeli female hostages release video showing their capture

...The body-cam footage was among the tens of thousands of hours of video generated on Oct. 7, when many of the 3,000 Hamas gunmen posted images and videos of the 1,200 men, women and children they killed and tortured, and the more than 250 others they took hostage.

The video, slightly over three minutes in length, is actually a series of clips, showing the young women first facing a wall in a room at the Nahal Oz outpost in southern Israel, bruised and bloodied and then sitting down. Gunmen shout questions at them.

...Liri Albag asks if any of the gunmen speak English before one shouts at her, “I want you quiet, quiet!” Another then yells: “Our brothers died because of you. We will shoot you all.”

A voice can then be heard on the video saying, “Why don’t you speak Arabic, you cows?”

At one point, a Hamas gunman inspects the women and calls them سبايا , or “sabaya,” an archaic term that means female captives but can have sexual connotations. The video subtitles, which were provided by the Israel Defense Forces, translated sabaya as “girls who can get pregnant.”

Another man says, “Beautiful.” [...]

May 22, 2024 Israeli television has aired previously withheld video of five pajama-clad female army conscripts being seized by Hamas gunmen during the Oct. 7 raid that triggered the Gaza war. The Hostages Families Forum, which represents relatives of the 124 people still held by Hamas, released the video, saying it was recovered from bodycams worn by gunmen who had attacked the Nahal Oz base in southern Israel, where the women served as surveillance spotters.

Families of 5 female IDF members release video of their abduction by Hamas

...Nahal Oz was one of a string of Israeli military bases along the border that housed special units of female soldiers known as “watchers,” who were responsible for analyzing videos of threats along the border but who were not trained in combat. An estimated 60 soldiers died in that battle, including 15 watchers.

In the weeks following Oct. 7, reports surfaced of watchers who had alerted their superiors to suspicious activity along the border, flagging the appearances of men in full military gear practicing taking over tanks and other maneuvers. Recordings of calls made by female soldiers later found to have been killed chronicled the overwhelming advance of the Hamas troops on the Israeli bases and toward the 22 surrounding communities.

Seven female soldiers were abducted alive from Nahal Oz, including Ori Megadish, who was rescued by the Israel Defense Forces in an Oct. 30 operation, and Noa Marciano, whose body was retrieved in November from Gaza City’s al-Shifa Hospital...
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ireland, Norway, and Spain to formally recognize a Palestinian state

they join ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY THREE other countries that already do so.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:05 pm Ireland, Norway, and Spain to formally recognize a Palestinian state

they join ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY THREE other countries that already do so.
Heck, I feel Israel should recognize "a Palestinian state".
What does that and $6 get me (and the 140+ countries that recognize a Palestinian State) other than a Grandma McFlurry at my local McDonalds and a post on here?
While it's a really nice thought that Israel and a "Palestinian state" could/might be able to co-exist peacefully in a "two state" solution, it's a lot easier said than done.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

How many decades has the US been in favor of a two-state solution?

But, Bibi say no!
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This is what makes me shake my head and realize I'm extremely ignorant on the subject. Or, maybe I'm not as ignorant as I think I am?
People accuse Jews of having extreme power/s such as controlling specific industries and "running the world". If that's true as a black and white statement, wouldn't you think that collectively Jews around the world would not only want to but would be able to get Bibi out of power?
Here is MY black and white statement and question. Bibi is not good for Jews. Bibi is not good for Israel. So.... Why is Bibi the current Prime Minister of Israel?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

bodies of three more hostages recovered
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:58 am This is what makes me shake my head and realize I'm extremely ignorant on the subject. Or, maybe I'm not as ignorant as I think I am?
People accuse Jews of having extreme power/s such as controlling specific industries and "running the world". If that's true as a black and white statement, wouldn't you think that collectively Jews around the world would not only want to but would be able to get Bibi out of power?
Here is MY black and white statement and question. Bibi is not good for Jews. Bibi is not good for Israel. So.... Why is Bibi the current Prime Minister of Israel?
This is the Trump template. Bibi is at best a distant minority leader under indictment. He stays in power by playing the rigged system of coalition. Trump and the Russians play the electoral college--which was almost our undoing in the first civil war. We did nothing to fix this structurally stupid policy. Israel is in the same space. They finally got a tyrant who won't leave power.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ICJ orders Israel to halt offensive in Rafah
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

…but stopped short of ordering a cease-fire for the enclave.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per the Atlantic:

This week, Israel released an appalling video featuring five female Israeli soldiers taken captive at Nahal Oz military base on October 7. Fearful and bloody, the women beg for their lives while Hamas fighters mill around and alternately threaten to kill them and compliment their appearance. The captors call the women “sabaya,” which Israel translated as “women who can get pregnant.” Almost immediately, others disputed the translation and said sabaya referred merely to “female captives” and included no reference to their fertility. “The Arabic word sabaya doesn’t have sexual connotations,” the Al Jazeera journalist Laila Al-Arian wrote in a post on X, taking exception to a Washington Post article that said that it did. She said the Israeli translation was “playing on racist and orientalist tropes about Arabs and Muslims.”

These are real women and victims of ongoing war crimes, so it does seem excessively lurid to suggest, without direct evidence, that they have been raped in captivity for the past several months. (“Eight months,” the Israelis noted, allowing readers to do the gestational math. “Think of what that means for these young women.”) But to assert that sabaya is devoid of sexual connotation reflects ignorance, at best. The word is well attested in classical sources and refers to female captives; the choice of a classical term over a modern one implies a fondness for classical modes of war, which codified sexual violence at scale. Just as concubine and comfort woman carry the befoulments of their historic use, sabaya is straightforwardly associated with what we moderns call rape. Anyone who uses sabaya in modern Gaza or Raqqah can be assumed to have specific and disgusting reasons to want to revive it.

The word sabaya recently reappeared in the modern Arabic lexicon through the efforts of the Islamic State. Unsurprisingly, then, the scholars best equipped for this analysis are the ones who observed and cataloged how ISIS revived sabaya (and many other dormant classical and medieval terms). I refer here to Aymenn J. Al-Tamimi, recently of Swansea University, and to Cole Bunzel of the Hoover Institution, who have both commented on this controversy without sensationalism, except insofar as the potential of sexual enslavement is inherently sensational.

Under classical Islamic jurisprudence on the law of war, the possible fates of enemy captives are four: They can be killed, ransomed, enslaved, or freed. Those enslaved are then subject to the rules that govern slavery in Islam—which are extensive, and are nearly as irrelevant to the daily lives of most living Muslims as the rules concerning slavery in Judaism are to the lives of most Jews. I say “nearly” because Jews have not had a state that sought to regulate slavery for many centuries, but the last majority-Muslim states abolished slavery only in the second half of the 20th century, and the Islamic State enthusiastically resumed the practice in 2014.

In doing so, the Islamic State reaffirmed the privileges, and duties, of the slave owner. (Bunzel observes that the Islamic State cited scholars who used the term sabaya as if captured women were considered slaves by default, and the other fates were implicitly improbable.) The slave owner is responsible for the welfare of the slave, including her food and shelter. He is allowed to have sex with female slaves, but certain rules apply. He may not sell her off until he can confirm that she isn’t pregnant, and he has obligations to her and to their children, if any are born from their union. I cannot stress enough that such relationships—that is, having sex with someone you own—constitute rape in all modern interpretations of the word, and they are frowned upon whether they occur in the Levant, the Hejaz, or Monticello.

But in the premodern context, before the rights revolution that consecrated every person with individual, unalienable worth, sex slavery was unremarkable, and the principal concern was not whether to do it but what to do with the children. The Prophet Muhammad freed a slave after she bore him a child. The Jewish paterfamilias Abraham released his slave Hagar into the desert 14 years after she bore him Ishmael. But these are cases from antiquity, and modern folk see things differently. Frederick Douglass, in the opening of his autobiography, emphasized the inhumanity of American slave owners by noting the abhorrent results of those relationships: fathers hating, owning, abusing, and selling their own kin.

Sabaya is a term in part born of the need to distinguish captives potentially subject to these procreative regulations from those who would be less complicated to own. To translate it as “women who can get pregnant” is regrettably misleading. It makes explicit what the word connotes, namely that these captives fall under a legal category with possibilities distinct from those of their male counterparts. As Al-Tamimi observes, Hamas could just as easily have used a standard Arabic word for female war captives, asirat. This neutral word is used on Arabic Wikipedia, say, for Jessica Lynch, the American prisoner of war from the 2003 Iraq invasion. Instead Hamas used a term with a different history.

One could read too much into the choice of words. No one, to my knowledge, has suggested that Hamas is following the Islamic State by reviving sex slavery as a legal category. I know of no evidence that it has done so, and if it did, I would expect many of the group’s supporters, even those comfortable with its killing of concertgoers and old people, to denounce the group. More likely, a single group of Hamas members used the word in an especially heady moment, during which they wanted to degrade and humiliate their captives as much as possible. Thankfully, the captives appear unaware of the language being used around them. The language suggests that the fighters were open to raping the women, but it could also just be reprehensible talk, after an already coarsening day of mass killing.

Reading too much into the language seems, at this point, to be less of a danger than reading too little into it. As soon as the Israeli translation came out, it was assailed for its inaccuracy, when it was actually just gesturing clumsily at a real, though not easily summarized, historical background. What, if anything, should the translation have said? “Female captives” does not carry the appropriate resonance; “sex-slavery candidates” would err in the other direction and imply too much. Every translation loses something. Is there a word in English that conveys that one views the battered women in one’s control as potentially sexually available? I think probably not. I would be very careful before speaking up to defend the user of such a word.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

🇺🇸: ISIS is about to attack you
🇷🇺: LIARS!!
ISIS: We attacked you
🇷🇺: This must’ve been 🇺🇦
🇺🇦: It wasn’t us
ISIS: It was us
🇷🇺: Here is van with 🇺🇦 plates!
Everyone: You idiots, those plates are from 🇧🇾
ISIS: It was us FFS!
🇷🇺: We arrested guys from 🇹🇯
🇹🇯: No you didn’t
ISIS: We did it! Here are receipts no one else has
🇷🇺: There is evidence that 🇺🇸 is involved
🇺🇸We we’re the ones who warned you it would happen…
ISIS: For fuck’s sake!
🇷🇺: We found people heading to 🇺🇦!
🇧🇾: Actually they were heading here..
ISIS: It was us!!!
🇷🇺: We really must insist it was 🇺🇦
ISIS: Guess we’ll have to attack you again.
https://x.com/darthputinkgb/status/1794 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

5 questions......

1. Two parter.
a. What percentage of Americans between the ages of 9 and 35 can tell you who Millie Bobby Brown is married to?
b. What percentage of those SAME Americans can tell you the name of a city in Gaza other than Gaza City?

2. What percentage of Americans who are legitimately anti-Semitic are anti-Palestinian/s?

3. If forced to choose a "military" to join and "fight" with, what percentage of Americans between the ages of 16 and 35 would chose Hamas and what percentage would chose the IDF?

4. Two parter.
a. What percentage of Americans between the ages of 13 and 113 believe that Joe Biden could end "the war" in less than a week if he wanted to?
b. What percentage of Americans between the ages of 13 and 113 believe if Trump was President "the war" wouldn't have lasted more than a week after October 7th?

5. If shown a world map without the names of countries and territories on it, what percentage of Americans between the ages of 7 and 107 could identify both Israel and Gaza?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:32 am shitty

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna154435
Hard to imagine what goes on in that part of the world.