The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Shirley »

This is some interesting footage about pack dynamics. There was a single wolf who showed up in the One-eyed wolf pack territory. I think it is a female. The dominant, one-eyed female really went after the single wolf. She ran the wolf off and did not kill it. It is interesting to watch.

Tomahawk Trail Camera April 7th, 2024 Violent content.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Snake Road / LaRue Pine Hills Natural Research area. Shawnee National Forest, Southern Illinois USA. Every spring and fall, the Forest rangers close and lock the gates to snake road in order to block off vehicle traffic - so THOUSANDS of snakes can safely come out of , and enter hibernation, (brumation) depending on whether it's spring or fall.

Snake Road Illinois Spring 2024 SNAKE MIGRATION
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Is it my crappy chromebook screen or does that dude have a Hitler mustache?

ETA: Illanoy Nazis
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:17 pm Is it my crappy chromebook screen or does that dude have a Hitler mustache?

ETA: Illanoy Nazis
I hadn't noticed it, maybe because it's so faint, but your chromebook ain't lying.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I didn't think of cottonmouths in Illinois, but I guess southern Illinois in particular is Mississippi River delta country, which makes more sense

depending on how far up the Mississippi still counts as delta
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Happy 100th anniversary to the Gila Wilderness

The first area of the U.S. to be designated a wilderness area
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Researchers guided a walk along a brook during what was described as the final days of the largest alewife spawning migration seen in Maine in years.

Alewives return farther inland en masse to spawning grounds not seen in decades
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I've been following this guy for a while and every time I watch one of his videos I wonder if it's not Trad, considering he's a herpetologist, (or close to it), and has an affinity for dogs. He did a video on his operation at his home, where he has a huge kennel where he's training a lot of dogs, and talked about his hunting trips to eliminate invasive hogs, and a number of invasive species he runs into. I used to think I was pretty comfortable bushwhacking, but not at all compared to the Python Cowboy.

How Florida Man Python Cowboy Is Fighting Back Against Invasive Pythons. I wanted to talk about the Everglades and how we tackle the invasive python problem with the help of our incredible dogs. Led by our top dog, Otto, and his predecessor Moose, our dedicated team is making a significant impact by locating python nests and reducing their population. Discover the challenges we face, the techniques we use, and the importance of our mission to preserve the Everglades ecosystem.

How Florida Man Python Cowboy Is Fighting Back Against Invasive Pythons
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:45 pm I've been following this guy for a while and every time I watch one of his videos I wonder if it's not Trad, considering he's a herpetologist.
I’ve heard that’s a lifelong endeavor for most.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:54 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:45 pm I've been following this guy for a while and every time I watch one of his videos I wonder if it's not Trad, considering he's a herpetologist.
I’ve heard that’s a lifelong endeavor for most.
Not sure Trad will own up to it, but, yeah.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:45 pm I've been following this guy for a while and every time I watch one of his videos I wonder if it's not Trad, considering he's a herpetologist, (or close to it), and has an affinity for dogs. He did a video on his operation at his home, where he has a huge kennel where he's training a lot of dogs, and talked about his hunting trips to eliminate invasive hogs, and a number of invasive species he runs into. I used to think I was pretty comfortable bushwhacking, but not at all compared to the Python Cowboy.

How Florida Man Python Cowboy Is Fighting Back Against Invasive Pythons. I wanted to talk about the Everglades and how we tackle the invasive python problem with the help of our incredible dogs. Led by our top dog, Otto, and his predecessor Moose, our dedicated team is making a significant impact by locating python nests and reducing their population. Discover the challenges we face, the techniques we use, and the importance of our mission to preserve the Everglades ecosystem.

How Florida Man Python Cowboy Is Fighting Back Against Invasive Pythons
I occasionally watch this dude on Facebook who dives for lionfish. Gets a couple dozen on each dive.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

unfortunately, neither the python or lionfish hunts do much to remedy the problems

but, they make for “entertaining” reality tv, for some i guess
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I don't know about Louisiana, but in Florida, every body of water has an alligator in it, until proven otherwise:

How to tell if alligators in the water in Louisiana
Anand Giridharadas