SCOTUS

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: SCOTUS

Post by jfish26 »

I was with, last night, the Trumper with whom I’m closest. He knows that we have wildly differing views on these things.

Holding court with some of his sheep, he had the audacity to say that the system is working as it is designed to, with people having indirect power to steer the direction of the Court through electing Presidents.

Ask Obama’s voters how they feel about that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ugh, I just had a sinking thought - watch Alito recuse himself from the immunity case *now* as a means of giving Roberts a fake reason to hold a new round of oral arguments or something else that knifes the possibility of a Chutkan trial before November. With a bonus opportunity for Roberts to pretend he cares, at all.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Wouldn’t it just be a hoot if Samuel Alito had recently published an opinion in which he expressed his belief about flags & whether people viewing them would naturally assume the flag conveyed a message on the owner's behalf…
https://x.com/dtwyman/status/1796010462 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Sam Alito, the guy who basically says he can't/doesn't tell his wife what she can and can't do but want's to make sure he has the ability to have a bearing on other people's wives and what they can and can't do - with their own body.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'd like to buy Emily a beer. Our nation would be a much better place if more American's were like her.

CNN's Erin Burnett speaks with Emily Baden, the former neighbor of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, about their dispute that Alito says led his wife, Martha-Ann Alito, to hoist controversial flags in response to her exchange with Baden.

'At worst he's outright lying': Alito ex-neighbor at center of flag dispute speaks out
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I hope some peacock lawyer takes up Ms Baden’s “defamation” case against Mr Alito for alleging that she provoked Mrs Alito. I’d love to see the deposition of the Alitos.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We have the best Supreme Court rich "conservative" "law and order" billionaires can buy. Thank goodness ProPublica, a nonprofit news organization, did the investigative reporting to reveal this outrage. For doing so, they received their 7th Pulitzer Prize.

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The corruption of the Court (and of the levers of its composition) is unsurpassed as the defining political story of this stupid era.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Like our government, our country's "highest court" is f*cking embarrassing.
There will never be a perfect method of appointing and voting on Supreme Court Justices but I feel the current system is definitely worth reviewing in regards to making possible changes.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we need a Supreme Court full of democrats that are soft on crime.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

we need a supreme court that will defund the police. Yes please.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:01 am we need a supreme court that will defund the police. Yes please.
Try to keep up, dummy:

House Republicans want to defund the police

3/7/24 For their next trick, House Republicans have decided to defund the police. Democrats should call them on it, and anyone who cares about law enforcement should be outraged.

The spending package pushed through the House on Wednesday by Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) cuts the FBI’s operating budget by 6 percent, siphoning much-needed resources away from the nation’s premier police agency. And the measure cuts funding for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) — which, among other roles, is instrumental in battling gun violence and terrorism — by 7 percent.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:26 am we need a Supreme Court full of democrats that are soft on crime.
We HAVE a Supreme Court that is "full of" people who are manipulated by, and "side" with, Democrats or Republicans. Which is what they were hired to do, and yet I feel it's a really shitty thing for the members of our "highest court" to do if they really give a fuck about ALL of our country and ALL of its citizens.

I'm not looking for (nor wanting) a catastrophe, or a coup, or armageddon, or.....
But something extremely drastic/dramatic happening might actually end up being a good thing for the future of this country.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Common sense. Defense. Rebounds
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 7:17 am Like our government, our country's "highest court" is f*cking embarrassing.
There will never be a perfect method of appointing and voting on Supreme Court Justices but I feel the current system is definitely worth reviewing in regards to making possible changes.
I would be interested in expanding the court by some even number of justices who would be appointed for ten-year terms. Such that you would have nine lifetime-appointment justices and some number who roll on and off the court over set periods that, by design, must overlap at least two administrations.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:21 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:01 am we need a supreme court that will defund the police. Yes please.
Try to keep up, dummy:

3/7/24 For their next trick, House Republicans have decided to defund the police. Democrats should call them on it, and anyone who cares about law enforcement should be outraged.

The spending package pushed through the House on Wednesday by Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) cuts the FBI’s operating budget by 6 percent, siphoning much-needed resources away from the nation’s premier police agency. And the measure cuts funding for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) — which, among other roles, is instrumental in battling gun violence and terrorism — by 7 percent.

[...]
It's shooting fish in a barrel at this point, but I will start taking rule of law advice from the Rs not earlier than two (2) years from the last date on which they stop delegitimizing an unequivocal jury verdict reached at the conclusion of an overfair process, and attacking (as a weaponizer of the justice department) a man who has the power to stop or interfere with his son's own trial, and declines to use that power.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Try to keep up, dummy:

[...]
I would be interested in hearing what they are cutting specifically. I would certainly bet that there are some line item things in every law enforcement budget that could be cut due to them being frivolous and unnecessary.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:38 am
Try to keep up, dummy:

[...]
I would be interested in hearing what they are cutting specifically. I would certainly bet that there are some line item things in every law enforcement budget that could be cut due to them being frivolous and unnecessary.
Would that "frivolous and unnecessary" items were their target, rather than knee caps*.

*For reference, see the IRS.
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I doubt that cutting 6-7% is going to knee cap them. My guess is that it doesn't pass because virtually nothing that House Republicans try to pass actually is worthy of being passed.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:12 am I doubt that cutting 6-7% is going to knee cap them. My guess is that it doesn't pass because virtually nothing that House Republicans try to pass actually is worthy of being passed.
You'll get no argument from me about that. That being said:

"If you pluck a chicken one feather at a time, no one will notice."

Benito Mussolini
Anand Giridharadas