We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:02 am every presidential election of this century has been cheated on and stolen in some fashion. that's just the way it is.

how we are going to change that, i don't know. it's just something we have to live with.
We will certainly have to live with it for as long as people like you are successfully conditioned to believe that all "cheating" is the same, and that there are not in fact different degrees of cheating.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:02 am every presidential election of this century has been cheated on and stolen in some fashion. that's just the way it is.

how we are going to change that, i don't know. it's just something we have to live with.
Just when it seemed that you couldn’t possibly be any stupider…..
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Cheated his way into a dictatorship is how this could end. And not well for Mich either. All it will take is a neighbor ratting on his love of Hollywood. Or just wanting his land.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

USA 2024!!!!!
Yet again I will say I miss my father and grandparents but I'm glad for their sake that they aren't alive to witness what our country has become. Not that it was so great at times during their lives but shit, this is would make them want to kill themselves.

Lavern Spicer 🇺🇸

@lavern_spicer

Subscribe

Kathy Hochul just called President Trump's New York supporters “clowns.”

Bitch I wish your bucktooth ass would call me some damn clown!

I’m supporting PRESIDENT Trump because President Trump supports me.

His policies kept me safe.

His economy kept me prosperous.

He LOVES America.

Meanwhile yall fucked-up Democrats just be milking America dry like Kamala do to Joe at night before bed.

If yall losing the Black community it’s your own damn fault.

And don’t even TRY to pretend Biden is busy on some damn campaign trail!

He so bad now even the Alzheimer’s meds don’t cover it.

Donald Trump is speaking to 42,000 people LIVE RIGHT NOW!

Biden’s couldn’t even make a teleprompter speech without making 9 MISTAKES.

Kathy, take your beaver-looking ass back to the forest and get back to gnawing on them trees.
Last edited
6:14 PM · May 23, 2024
·
Views
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i have an increasing number of moments where i think a decent chunk of this country deserves an authoritarian regime and everything that comes with it

you think the average russian or chinese citizen has it better?

good luck with that
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

He understands the question and knows that he lied. But it seems that preserving the alternative truth universe is his path to power and money as he sees it. There is a spot on the Candyland plantation that Byron wants real bad.
CNN’s Abby Phillip on Thursday grilled Rep. Byron Donalds (R-Fla.) on a false claim from Republicans about the FBI’s 2022 classified documents search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate.

Phillip repeatedly asked Donalds why figures on the right — including both him and Trump — have claimed that a piece of boilerplate search warrant text, which authorized the use of deadly force in the raid, was actually evidence of some sort of “assassination attempt” that had been green-lit by President Joe Biden.

Trump himself has said Biden was “locked & loaded ready to take me out.”

“That’s just not true. Why would you say something like that?” Phillip asked Donalds, who attended Trump’s hush money trial in New York last week in a show of support for the quadruply indicted ex-POTUS.

Donalds, who is thought to be a potential running mate for presumptive GOP nominee Trump, dodged the question.

Phillip persisted, saying: “Congressman, with all due respect, the language for the search is standard operating procedure for every operation of that kind that the FBI does. They did the same thing when they searched Joe Biden’s house. So how is that weaponizing it?”

Donalds sidestepped again.

“Congressman, I’m talking about the conspiracy theory that the FBI was trying to assassinate Trump,” Phillip replied. “Would you acknowledge that that is not true?”

Donalds dodged a third time.

Phillip said: “Just, real simple question. Is it true or false that the FBI was trying to assassinate Trump?”

Yet another dodge from Donalds.

“Congressman, I just want to note that you are not responding to a very simple question about a conspiracy theory that you voiced,” Phillip said.

Following further evasions from Donalds, Phillip said it was “pretty extraordinary that when faced with really clear facts ― very clear facts, it’s pretty much black and white ― you won’t acknowledge” the reality of the situation.

“I’m trying to understand why,” she said. “Is it because the former president himself has raised this conspiracy that you feel like you have to support it?”
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

cult
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:49 amcult
The price of admission is your soul, and some bootlicking of course.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:32 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:49 amcult
The price of admission is your soul, and some bootlicking of course.
When people talking about needing to take money out of politics, this is, broadly, sort of the point.

It's one thing to have actual public-service principles that are disagreeable.

It's quite another to have none whatsoever.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Leopard always eats your face. Last.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

This cocksucker has 2.3 million followers. Let that sink in. At first I thought he was purposely trying to be funny. Seems he may have really thought it was a legit photo. Bonus - Is that George Floyd "photoshopped" in the middle back?

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... 1544424541
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The right wing nuts have millions of bot followers. Russians will buy 100 jerseys sometimes though.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't often just copy and paste in full, but.

The Bible in Public Schools Isn’t Even the Wildest Plank of the Texas GOP Platform

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... ting-2024/
Some state Republican parties held their conventions over the long weekend. Obviously, the party is retooling itself against the perils of Trumpism and seeking a brighter day for us all.

Except, maybe, not so much. From The Texas Tribune:
Republican Party of Texas delegates voted Saturday on a platform that called for new laws to require the Bible to be taught in public schools and a constitutional amendment that would require statewide elected leaders to win the popular vote in a majority of Texas counties. Other proposed planks of the 50-page platform included proclamations that “abortion is not healthcare it is homicide”; that gender-transition treatment for children is “child abuse”; calls to reverse recent name changes to military bases and “publicly honor the southern heroes”; support for declaring gold and silver as legal tender; and demands that the U.S. government disclose “all pertinent information and knowledge” of UFOs.
(Conservatives have gone a little buggy these days over UFOs, seeing them, I guess, as another Deep State project along with the microbots in the Covid vaccines.)
Perhaps the most consequential plank calls for a constitutional amendment to require that candidates for statewide office carry a majority of Texas’ 254 counties to win an election, a model similar to the U.S. electoral college.

Under current voting patterns, in which Republicans routinely win in the state’s rural counties, such a requirement would effectively end Democrats’ chances of winning statewide office. In 2022, Gov. Greg Abbott carried 235 counties, while Democrat Beto O’Rourke carried most of the urban, more populous counties and South Texas counties. Statewide, Abbott won 55% of the popular vote while O’Rourke carried 44%. However, some attorneys question whether such a proposal would be constitutional and conform with the Voting Rights Act because it would most likely limit the voting power of racial minorities, who are concentrated in a relatively small number of counties. (The party’s platform also reiterates its previous calls for the repeal of the Voting Rights Act).
They simply can’t leave the poor embattled franchise alone. They are planning to rig the system out two more generations as the country increasingly diversifies and scares the members of their base right out of their orthopedics. And you surely didn’t think that white people’s Jesus would not get a mention.
The 2024 platform goes significantly further: It urges lawmakers and the State Board of Education to “require instruction on the Bible, servant leadership and Christian self-governance,” and supports the use of religious chaplains in schools—which was made legal under a law passed by the state Legislature last year. The new platform comes as Republicans increasingly embrace once-fringe theories such as Christian nationalism, which argues that the United States’ founding was God-ordained, and therefore its institutions and laws should reflect conservative, Christian views. Barton’s ideas have been a key driver of that movement, and were repeatedly cited by lawmakers last year during debates over the chaplains bill and in legislation that would have required the Ten Commandments to be posted in public school classrooms. Barton’s group, WallBuilders, was also an exhibitor at this year’s Texas GOP convention, and the party has increasingly aligned with two far-right, fundamentalist Christian billionaires, Tim Dunn and Farris Wilks.
Two camels looking for a needle with a bigger eye.

Things were not much better up in Washington state, where the state GOP insisted in its convention on finding the least likely candidates to be elected and then nominating them anyway. From the Washington State Standard:
And leaders of the Washington State Republican Party will leave Spokane Saturday evening with an endorsed slate of candidates but also continued discord in their ranks. “This is a family feud. We have to sit around here and figure out how the family comes back together,” said Mathew Patrick Thomas, chair of the King County Republican Party. Tensions center on whether delegates are backing candidates who might check certain boxes—supporting Donald Trump, eschewing the establishment, committing to more conservative positions—at the expense of electability in a state that’s tilted increasingly Democratic. Republicans hold zero statewide offices in Washington, are minorities in both chambers of the Legislature, and control just two of the state’s 10 U.S. House seats.
And in North Carolina, the GOP finished the process of anointing Mark Robinson for governor, which guarantees us a few more months of hilarity. RNC chair Lara Trump phoned in a bit of her own special sauce. From the AP:
“What we have going on in this country right now is not Republican versus Democrat or left versus right,” Lara Trump, a Wilmington, North Carolina, native, said during the couple’s almost 40-minute address. “It’s good versus evil.”
Can’t argue with that.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Lara Trump might as well have a pentagram on her forehead.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opi ... rcna154805

Likely our future if we were to find ourselves under continued federal GOP rule.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s life imitating art

can’t wait for a new season of Handmaid’s Tale
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am trying to be positive that Biden is going to defeat Trump in November and that this orange shit stain on America's history will fade into our past but it is hard not to worry. We have problems that are being illuminated by Trump that weren't caused by Trump. They will remain once he is gone. My hope is that the GOP gets brutalized in the Nov. election and finally begins the real work of flushing Trumpism out of their party.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:50 am I am trying to be positive that Biden is going to defeat Trump in November and that this orange shit stain on America's history will fade into our past but it is hard not to worry. We have problems that are being illuminated by Trump that weren't caused by Trump. They will remain once he is gone. My hope is that the GOP gets brutalized in the Nov. election and finally begins the real work of flushing Trumpism out of their party.
I share your concerns.

The most likely medium-term outcome I'm seeing is something like a soft or shadow secession-lite - a non-violent withdrawal from participation in national politics, coupled with activist-judge-aided firewalls shielding red states from regulation by the federal government.

Of course that's a terrible long-term outcome, in all respects. At best, you're talking about a major major drag on economic growth (to say nothing about confronting climate change).

And at worst...well, the portion of the population that is breaking away is disproportionately well-armed and doesn't hold the rights (or even basic humanity) of lots of groups of people in very high regard.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

MTG with yet another JFC moment. Madge losing her shit.

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1797703070555738588

God and Jesus told her to grab his junk. What other explanation does she have for it?